What kind of strings do you use?

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by elfnub, Nov 4, 2019.

1. vlxerdon

vlxerdon Squier-Nut

Dec 31, 2014
    Coastal Georgia
    I actually have fender 10's on my mustangs and l.p. guitars ( cause I had a bunch around from who knows where ) and eb 9's on all of my strats. I have been using super slinky's since 1978.

Davey likes this.
  2. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    Flat wounds 10 on my ArchTop and Round wound 9 on my Strat. On my cheep acoustic I put on what ever I take off one or the other guitars.

Davey likes this.
  3. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Nut

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I've been using Elixir Nanoweb 9s on both my electrics since earlier this year. I've settled on gauge 9s almost three years ago after going from 10s to 11s and back to 10s, which seemed at the time the best in terms of ease to play as I had the impression 9s broke too often. After first trying the 9s that came with my Jackson and realizing how easy and smooth to play those were, I've stuck with them and they're particularly awesome on my slightly shorter, 25" scale PRS.

Besides that, I'd been using D'addario regulars since forever, but were curious to try higher quality strings given they'd last a trimester at best before turning crusty. A store I often visit sells 3-set packages of Elixirs for much cheaper each and so I've bought a box of them and, well, I've had the same set in my Squier for 8 months and my PRS for 6 and they still play like 1 month-old D'addarios, probably won't need a restring until January. Not only that, they're noticeably very smooth to touch given the coating and are supposedly easier on the frets unlike stuff made out of denser alloys like NYXLs, which will eat them up much quicker.

I think they'd even be worth the full price because of that, the only issue I've noticed was part of the coating beginning to flake off around the picking area, a seemingly common problem. I may try a set of the newer Ultrawebs the next time, which I only didn't went for right away because some said they didn't have such a bright tone out of the box, in comparison.

For my classical, I've settled on D'addario Classics medium tension, even in my musical group they're noticeably long-lasting and have a good tone that doesn't degrade too quickly. Earlier this year I've tried a set of Rotosounds I had laying around and two months later, a fret had already split apart the winding of the D string, done with that brand then. Now that I've been using my classical a lot more in both my college musical group and in the orchestra, I've thought about prizing myself with a set of D'addario Pro Artés which I've never tried!

txflood likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice