What kind of strings do you use?

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by elfnub, Nov 4, 2019.

1. elfnub

elfnub Squier Talker

Oct 15, 2019
    SE OHIO, USA
    Just looking to see what everyone uses. My whole life I've only ever used Ernie Ball Super Slinkys. What do you use?

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    MusiciansFriend Musician's Gear strings - $2.29 a pack. I wait for a 10 or 15% off sale and get like $100 worth or so.....

3. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    D’adario XL 10’s

don’t know if I spelled it right, but I love the strings!

4. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Another vote for D'Addario 10's. I use the EXL110 set on all my guitars.

When I was growing up my Dad tried to run a mail order music store for the locals, it never took off but he did become an official D'Addario vendor so for most of my young life we got strings at dealer cost. Eventually he lost his official vendor status but I still love the strings and continue to use them on all of my electric guitars.

5. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I used to only use boomers. Now I use pretty much whatever.

VealCutlet, Mr Bones, mb doug and 2 others like this.
  6. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Depends on the guitar and what I want to do with it..Price sometimes figures in to it but not always..
    I guess I've tried them all..D'Addarios are the most common ones..
    My favorites are any pure nickle wound..Just about any brand..

Hugh, Matt Shevell, mb doug and 3 others like this.
  7. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    I've been using Ernie Ball strings for a very long time. I go with 9-42 for my Strats and 9-46 for my LPs.

EB 9-42.jpg EB 9-46.jpg

vlxerdon, so1om, Angry Possum and 5 others like this.
  8. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    So do I.

9. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Meister

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    It depends on the sound I'm going for. I have GHS boomers (10s) on most of my guitars right now. That is because I got a deal on them at Amazon. I have a 3/4 size Yamaha acoustic. For that I like D'addario silk-and-steel strings. They don't last as long, but the warmer tone really helps the smaller guitar.

Mr Bones, mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  10. mwmeci

mwmeci Squier-Meister

Jun 28, 2015
    Minneapolis
    D'Addario EXL but I bought a Baja Tele and was so impressed with the sound I bought a bunch of different gage Fender 250's and they're just as good. I bet D'Addario makes them. The ball ends are color coded in Fenders colors.

Mr Bones likes this.
  11. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    my regular 25.5" scale single-coil guitars get
    [​IMG]

but if the guitar is shorter scale and/or has HBs and/or P90s (2/3 of my guitars fit this), they get
    [​IMG]

vlxerdon and Jim Belaye like this.
  12. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier-Meister

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    P02251.png
    I use these nickel wounds on all my bright Teles. Nickel is what was common when Leo invented the Tele and the pickups.

81A-UJCjvKL._SL1500_.jpg
    I was given à couple of packs of these to sweeten the deal when I bought my Cabronita hardtail. They are nice and bright and stay in tune well, but they are rather pricey so I doubt I'll be sticking with them. They are good strings though.

Mr Bones and Jim Belaye like this.
  13. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Meister

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
    I always loved Super Slinkys until I developed a sensitivity to nickel. Luckily they do make these.
    5115cb0I-qL._AC_SY400_.jpg 51uSaXW578L._AC_SY400_.jpg

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  14. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Once in a while I try Boomers, XLs, and Fender 250s, but I always go back to the pink package EB nines, 'cause they always end up sounding and feeling the best to me. They really bend easier than the others and have the best balance of warmth and crispness to their tone, and the most Fendery twang to my ears, and a ten pack is $40 at SW or MF, or from other sellers on Ebay.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  15. rbh32

rbh32 Squier-Meister

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    These are on all my guitars, including my acoustic.. D17C12F9-AA82-4CEE-ACEC-752A2CC9BC66.jpeg

chefjeff, CVSteve and Mr Bones like this.
  16. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Since it has become a whole bunch of guitars to string, I've gone to MF Musicians Gear 10's. Nickel plated steel wrapped around a hexagonal steel core. I've also noticed that since I've gone to the MG strings, I'm not breaking high 'E's' like I used to. Now whether my playing is better or it's the strings, I don't know which or maybe a bit of both.

Previously I always used D'Addario EXL 10's or 11's. I like the sound of 11's better, but it's harder to get deals on them. Plus they are harder on the fingers.

Cleaning things up I ran across a couple sets of EB 11's. I think I'll try them on the Jaguar. Normally, I don't care for EB strings, but maybe the 11's on the Jaguar will surprise me.

Mr Bones likes this.
  17. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    They are fantastic strings, too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice