What is a Squier Strat SE?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Masshole, May 29, 2017.

1. Vinny29

Vinny29 Squier Talker

May 6, 2018
    Canton, Ohio
    I think we got a heck of a mystery going here, hope the guy responds.

dbrian66 likes this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    Not the 1 piece maple necks they didn't, because the channel for the skunk stripe is necessary to insert the truss rod, but yes on the rosewood fretboard ones - no skunk stripe since they install the rod from the front before the fretboard goes on.

dbrian66 and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  3. Also China didn't use the truss rod plastic insert … Korea did. Yes?
    Cheers, Barrie.

dbrian66 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  4. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    Yes

dbrian66 likes this.
  5. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Must be a Samick built. Never seen one myself. I have an Indonesian Samick without stripe on a Bullet Special, different neck carve from my Cort built Indo BS. Bitter disappointment. Oh, and thinnest body Squier I have ever seen.

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. deee

deee New Member

Sep 9, 2019
    dallas texas
    the strat squire bullet 'se' was a limited run, made-in-china bullet (beginner level) squire strat. the se stood for 'special edition'. it was made with a full thickness 1-3/4" (and notably) alder (rather than basswood) body, and it's also notable - to my observation - the body profile is about 1/8" larger over the guitar (the entire body is ~1/4" wider than the standard strat). i think fender did that to prevent the bodies being introduced onto partscasters and presented/sold as american fender product? anyway, that's just a guess.

dbrian66 likes this.
  7. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    No, the SE is not a bullet and the bodies are the same dimension as a "real" Stratocaster and certainly not Alder. Where are you getting this stuff?

8. pflug

pflug Squier-Nut

Oct 11, 2013
    Michigan
    SE bodies are normally thought to be made of agathis (although nailing down the specific species of Asian wood used for "budget" guitars can be tough- the factories use whatever suitable wood is locally available and and relatively inexpensive and may not match the "published" spec for the guitar) You can argue all day over the importance of "tonewood" for an electric guitar but Leo didn't choose Alder for its incredible musical properties- at the time it was available and cheap where he was building guitars

The "larger" body is a new one to me... although I suppose an SE with an 1/8" plus poly "skin" might measure "smaller" than an American with a thin nitro finish- the SE's are usually pretty heavy so might seem "bigger" to some?

Giving a newb the benefit of the doubt LOL

rorygman, dbrian66 and Davey like this.
  9. Zeefil

Zeefil Squier Talker

Dec 10, 2019
    Vista, CA
    Hello there everyone. I found this thread and I think I've got a strat se. Here are some pictures. I got it used from a friend for $100, tried intonating it to D standard with some Beefy Slinky's and stripped out the saddles. I forgot that you needed to adjust the truss rod. I mainly go onto Reddit but through Reddit I found this thread! I've got a new tremolo bridge that I'm waiting to install. What are some things I should know about this guitar in order to modify it. What size are the tuning peg holes? What's the fretboard radius? How many springs should I add and in what order do I install them to get the best tremolo? Etc. this photo is my squier strat se next to my 2002 Ovation Celebrity 12 String

Attached Files:

drewcp and dbrian66 like this.
  10. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    Yes it's an SE!

Welcome to the forum! 12" fretboard radius, 10mm tuner peg hole size.....springs is all up to you depending on how you want it floating and what string gauge you use.....

With beefy slinky strings for SURE you're going to need to adjust/tighten the truss rod...then do the string height. Also it's not a good idea to raise saddles while under full string tension, you have to loosen the string first....or you will strip the heads.....

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  11. Zeefil

Zeefil Squier Talker

Dec 10, 2019
    Vista, CA
    I'm originally an acoustic player and am wanted to get more into some blues/rockabilly/rock/altrock/cool rock music. I just purchased some coated not even Slinky's and am going to intonate it to D standard or even C# standard if it's possible on this guitar. I also heard that you can take things like pickups and pots and they'll fit into my squier SE. Now all I need are some locking vintage tuners and I'll be set! I'm trying to turn this guitar into a vintage (not relic) but modern playability guitar. Anyone here know some DeArmond single coils or even tv Jones? Or I was thinking if putting some 60s Coronado II pickups or some tv Jones gretsch mini hums into a new pickguard. I'm going for that black keys/white stripes/Arctic monkeys sound from my guitar. All feedback is appreciated

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  12. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    If you want to use small shaft vintage tuners, you will need conversion bushings for the larger modern 10mm holes in the SE's headstock....

13. Zeefil

Zeefil Squier Talker

Dec 10, 2019
    Vista, CA
    Do you know if they make vintage style locking tuners for this squier?

14. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    You have about 4-5 things wrong in this post....

the bodies aren't alder, they aren't larger....it's not larger or wider.....

15. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    Locking tuners to me are a waste of time, they don't make the guitar more stable or stay in tune better....the SE necks have 10mm shaft holes, so that will determine what you can put in.

rorygman and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  16. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

17. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
  18. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

They make what he's looking for - do you have a link ? The kind with a threaded sleeve ?

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  19. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    No....I've never changed tuners on a guitar...., sorry for sticking my nose in. I think he would need something with 10mm shafts.....

20. Zeefil

Zeefil Squier Talker

Dec 10, 2019
    Vista, CA
    Are you still putting wraps around your peg? The reason a string comes out of tune js when you bend a string or use your tremolo it slightly adds or removes the wraps on your post. When using locking tuners you should have a 90° angle on your tuning post. Less or more depending on the tuner and gauge.

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice