What is a Squier Strat SE?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Masshole, May 29, 2017.

1. Masshole

Masshole Squier-Meister

May 26, 2017
    Massachusetts USA
    Hello everyone!
    I've been playing guitar on and off since the late 80s. Over the last ten years i really didn't play much at all and I sold off all my gear except a 2000 Yamaha acoustic. Last summer I picked up the guitar again and haven't been able to put it down.
    Since then I purchased an Epi es339, and a bullet mustang which is in the process of being fully modded. I also ordered a Squier classic vibe 1950s in Sherwood green, should be here Wednesday! Can't wait!

My real question is... After joining squier talk and looking through the forum i keep seeing people talking about squier se models and I'm not sure what to make of it. Im familiar with classic vibe,vintage modified,affinity,deluxe,standard, and bullet series guitars,just not sure where this SE series is coming from!
    Thanks for your help!

2. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    Generally sold originally in the 'starter packs' (strat, amp, lead etc) the SE I guess fits somewhere around the Standard in the Squier hierarchy.

People here like them because generally they are found cheap secondhand (due to being sold to beginners who often didn't stick with it and hence soon sold again...) and at the time they were being made I believe represented the cheapest Squier to have a full sized body (handy for modding).

I'm sure more people will be along shortly to add to or amend my limited knowledge of them.

3. Masshole

Masshole Squier-Meister

May 26, 2017
    Massachusetts USA
    Thanks SpeedKing...

4. SpeedKing is correct. Along with all that are much better than expected necks. There are numerous mods done and being done with SE Stratocasters here on the ST, myself included.
    Cheers, Barrie.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  5. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Yes, the SE's came in no longer made starter packs. Full thickness bodies and great necks. The best Squier Strat for modding in most people's opinion (mine included). Usually can be found for little money, but since they haven't been made in a number of years they ate not as easy to find as they once were.
    I got mine six or seven years ago at a pawn shop for $60. Completely modded and a great guitar.

6. Caddy ... do you (or anyone else) know what the production years for these SE's where? Mine's a 2000 year model and that's about all I know.
    Thanks, Barrie.

SquierTap and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  7. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I have a CAE 00 model here that you might even keep the pickups in for a time. The only mod it needs is a set of Buff Beauties.
    Many folks look at them as full sized kit guitars with nice necks and decent tuners.
    The MIM bridge/block/saddle assembly seems to be the number one first upgrade, but I keep it decked, so there is no real advantage for me.

8. Masshole

Masshole Squier-Meister

May 26, 2017
    Massachusetts USA
    A big thank you to everyone for there help! The MIM trem and block are a direct replacement on these SE models???

9. Bailey1214

Bailey1214 Squier-Meister

Jan 24, 2017
    Quezon City
    Yes. Happy hunting.

10. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    OK so ... can you describe how to recognise a SE ?
    Headstock clues, like size. String tree, one or two. Logo. Truss rod opening color. Tuners.
    What is the neck profile, thin, fat C shape ?
    What to look on bodies, bridge assembly ?
    And what else. I see an ad, What to look at first on a not so sharp image ?

Is there some kind of chart here on all these minute details that makes a Squier Strat different one from another. If not, it would be a good thing to have, for the new comer to the Squier family.

11. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

The most obvious and simplest clue is the head stocks say Squier Strat by Fender, and don't say Affinity.

12. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Small headstock with squier tuners. Screenshot_20170529-203216.png Screenshot_20170529-203304.png

SquierTap likes this.
  13. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    All black printing on the headstock saying Squier Strat by Fender, normal (smaller) headstock. If stock tuners, they will say Squier. Full thickness body. May have no serial number, as they were on a sticker that often was removed or just came off.

14. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I think the first Starter Paks (that came with Affinity models) showed up in the Jan 1998 price list but

Strat Paks.jpg

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  15. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    On the newer models with the pearloid guard, the 12th fret dots are closer together than any other Squier that I know of.
    The CAE 00 has a more normal Squier dot spacing, but the later models went to the dots being much closer together.

CAE 00

[​IMG]

Later model.

[​IMG]

16. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    As far as I know they came in only three finishes: black, sunburst (like mine) and the rare and highly sought (at least on this forum) white.

I've always wondered why they never made them in a red finish.

ManKonis, SquierTap and Caddy like this.
  17. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
  18. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Not to go off track ... but does it really make a difference in the sound quality if you installed this in a stock SE? I know lots of people do but I've just never done that.

19. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Personally, I'd say it just add to the weight of the guitar.

SquierTap likes this.
  20. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Which should increase the sustain, right?

One more question: Is this a simple drop-in replacement for the SE or will you need to do some filing or other adjustment?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice