What happens with a $5.00 yard sale Hondo II?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by wonkenstein, Jul 10, 2019.

1. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    You know it's surprising how much better pickups can sound with a better set of pots, capacitors and some good wire. The other side of the coin is why spend so much on a set of Gibson pickups when there are several aftermarket options out there priced more competitively and sound just as good, if not better. You've got nothing to lose putting these 'pups into your custom Mustang build - unlike Gibson you probably won't scrimp on quality - I've rewired a few late model Gibsons this year. I really can't see where their pickups should cost more and I don't understand why they rebrand pots and put the Gibson logo on them.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

I came across this a while back on Epi pups and he also does a comparrison of them with similar Gibson pups in another thread. It makes for intresting reading and the results that he got were in the general direction that you're talking about here. For my part I recently installed a Warman Dogs O' War bridge P90 in an Epi Junior that I picked up and, even without a good set up, that P90 has some serious P90 snarl: and that was from a budget P90 too. I can't wait to get it finished and start irritating my next door nieghbors with it,...
    http://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thread/7892/epiphone-57ch-analysis-review

wonkenstein likes this.
  3. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

Well, I've been thinking about one of those for a while too: there are some cheap chinese Junior bodys available in asian mahogany and the Vox bridge is usually $40.00 plus shipping new,...;)

wonkenstein and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Who is stocking these nice looking Vox bridges? I'm not seeing them carried by parts suppliers.

5. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

6. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    @wonkenstein I have a set of Epi humbuckers, plenty of lead wire, probably from an Epi Special. Yours if you need them.

7. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    @surf green Thank you brother for that kindness but I've got plenty of pickups...just a matter of weeding through my parts boxes and grabbing. You, my friend, might also score one of these awesome Honeycomb Hondo IIs at a yard sale some day and you'll already have some good p'ups to drop in. I sure do appreciate it though!

Best1989 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  8. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    @Afrika61 I just checked out this listing - thank you! These nice looking Vox bridges have 3 1/4" stud spacing - that is standard stud spacing for all American LP, LP Special and LP Junior stop tail bridges from 1953/1954 on up to the present day. The only thing I can think of is that Vox spec studs and inserts probably are metric threads - not a big deal, I've got studs and inserts - at $40.00 these are inexpensive enough. I will check it out. I appreciate your help!

daan and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  9. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    As far as heat stripping that thing: a lot of bolt on LP copies had a “bent top” or veneer top on them, instead of an actual carved maple top on them, they had a thin wood “molded” to the arched shape of an LP top glued to the back wood. Some of them had an actual 1/40” veneer on top of that, if it looks like wood. The painted ones don’t always have the last layer though...Heating that body up to strip it will loosen the glue holding the top together and make it all come apart, (most likely in 47 pieces) This exact thing happened to me, so I’d vote for just sanding it.

10. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    https://samick.fandom.com/wiki/H-748
    If yours has actual MMK pups, assuming that’s what it came with originally, it was probably a nice one. My first electric was a cheap/low end Hondo, and years later I bought a few out of nostalgia and tried to restore them. The really cheap ones were... not so well put together. The nicer ones, can be as nice as an Epi LP...
    I just spent WAY too much time looking for the pics of the inside of the bent top guitars, but of course I can’t find them now.

11. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I wish photobucket wasn’t being stupid. I’d post pics of all this so it makes more sense... I have a Hondo doublecut LP copy I’ve been sloooooowly rehabbing. I bought several different bridges for it, and none of them fit. The spacing was different than any of the LP style bridges I tried (import AND USA :( ) Also the holes for the bushings were larger than any of the bushings I bought :( I ended up getting a weird flat bridge and slotting the holes in it to be able to attach the bridge to the studs.

Kenneth Mountain and wonkenstein like this.
  12. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    @daaan Thanks for the heads up but as luck would have it there is no veneer on this one. Once I got the totally awesome honeycomb paint job stripped off it was just a solid 5 piece laminated mahogany (well matched, I might add) with a clear poly on it. I will get a couple more photos up. Because the original owner did no surface prep the paint stripper worked fast. I did try sanding in just one spot at the cutaway but I'm thinking I'll get a cleaner job and a better shot at a good refin if I use a heat gun and do the old peel and strip.

By the way, you're exactly right about veneers, too - I've done a few antique furniture repairs and have another one going now on a circa 1930s half moon cabinet. Too much heat or too much moisture/not enough moisture.....there goes the veneer. Other guitars I know of that used a veneer on an arched top were some of the Burnside models Guild used to market.

Afrika61, daan and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  13. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Yes, this is a common thing with 'metric' Gibson looking imports especially when you see they're using unbranded hardware. The stud spacing can be just a little different for bridges and tailpieces.... thread diameters are different for pots and switches. In these situations if you're looking to put better quality hardware on you'll invariably end up measuring and doing some woodworking.

Since I already know I'll be using USA spec hardware and electronics, possibly even changing the standard control layout, it's good bet I'll be plugging some holes with mahogany. The one I've got is currently drilled for a tunomatic/stop tail piece configuration but I'm definitely going for a stop tail bridge on this puppy. If I like the way the grain matches up I'll put a translucent finish on it.

daan likes this.
  14. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    So these very nice looking Vox Virage bridges are definitely the bees knees - they are aluminum - and that means resonance. Ya got me thinking Laddie.

15. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Nobody's got a used one just now..... but after seeing the line of Virage models Vox has going right now I can understand why.

16. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

I don't have a guitar this would fit - yet I want to buy one ? I like "bridges" ? I got a problem ?

daan and wonkenstein like this.
  17. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    I don't understand the conflict. Of course you want to buy one of these bridges. They are..... sexy......right? So you'll probably need to have a project going where you've got 3 1/4" stud spacing and you'd prefer this type of bridge over a wrap around stop tail bridge. Problem? Naaaaagh!

By the way Ken, if you've still got that S 50 Jet Star wall hanger you should put a Schaller top mount roller bridge in it..... I broke down and put one on mine..... aahhh, intonation and sustain is total sweetness! I played slide with it for several years resisting the urge to take off the stock bridge. But I have absolutely no regrets. It's a real monster now.

How you doin?

Attached Files:

mkgearhead, Kenneth Mountain and daan like this.
  18. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

Here we go, a Gibson 57 Classic VS a stock Epi humbucker:
    http://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thread/7748/gibson-classic-stock-epiphone-humbucker
    Apologies for stealing this from another forum but I tend more towards the technical side of it and this guy does a rather good job of analysis. In this case he makes a solid arguement for the Epiphone product being identical in terms of performance with the Gibson item when neither has a cover on.

19. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier-Meister

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    Guitar Madness on eBay has a lot of choices at very affordable prices that you can try 'em all! Cheap enough to try and toss! Some are equivalents of current popular ones such as the JB/Jazz, Dirty Fingers, and etc. The seller is very knowledgeable for tech advice and inquiries.

I tried the GM Dirty Digits (ala Gibson Dirty Fingers) and the GM P94 neck on my Epi LP and it sounded beautiful!

Stock comparison demo:

Semi full production demo:

Kenneth Mountain and Afrika61 like this.
  20. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    EA7C2CC5-31F0-4121-8B75-63896DF55F73.jpeg I wanna see what the Honeycomb guitar looks like, minus the custom paint...
    Is it something like this? Mine is 99% similar, just imagine it covered in Punk Rock stickers, dents, scratches and DNA... (eew)
    The LP copy I used to have that I stripped, was 100% plywood under the paint.

Afrika61 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice