What happens with a $5.00 yard sale Hondo II?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by wonkenstein, Jul 10, 2019.

1. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    This one goes out to @Afrika61 ....... I let it slip a little while ago that I had this Hondo II LP "Less Paul" project going. At this point I have no 'in-progress' photos' but you can be treated to the 'before' images before the Kleen Strip did its part of the job. Here you go and I'll post more photos soon.... I'm sure you'll agree that this was totally worth what I paid for it.

Attached Files:

2. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier-Meister

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    Nice! What are your plans for it?

I saw an unused $50 Babicz tune-o-matic. Let me know if you're interested.

3. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    that looked cool in the thumbnails, but full sized image?... ouch.

I say Strip it
    Strip it good
    Into shape...

4. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Looks like a great body.

I would have gone to a chainlink fence, have someone hold the guitar on the other side and spary paint it from this side.

[​IMG]

5. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Ahhhhh, a Babicz tunomatic. Thank you bro', I have some Schaller and Gotoh hardware, but in case you're not totally familiar, Jeff Babicz's stuff works really well... his aluminum cam lock 'full contact' bridges for Teles and Strats are excellent. Jeff Babicz also happens to be THE authority on Steinberger repair and restorations, too.

As far as plans for this "Less Paul" I already have most of the finish off the body - it turned out to be a five piece laminated dark mahogany with a clear poly coat. I'll be taking a heat gun to it to strip the poly off just because the wood is dinged and pitted and some of the blue yard sale finish is stuck in the dings and pits. The neck was in pretty good shape, no wear on the frets to speak of. Even the original MMK pickups were still reading strong between 10k and 11k. I'll get more photos up as soon as I can.

6. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Yes, this would have made a much more uniform stencil pattern. I think in my case with this Hondo II somebody got really high and spent an afternoon with Testor's Model Enamel. At least I hope that's what happened anyway.

7. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Oh Yeah..... she's definitely getting the strip job for sure!

8. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    I thought someone tried to paint a honeycomb pattern on it with Whiteout!

9. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    You're not too far off the mark. They shot a blue metallic enamel over a clear poly. Then they used metallic silver enamel with a brush to paint the honeycomb pattern. The real bonus for me was that absolutely no surface prep was done so it wasn't much trouble getting the finish off with KleenStrip.

10. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Honeycomb's big!
    Yeah, yeah, yeah.
    It's not small!
    No, no, no.

11. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

EEEEWWWWWWW,....

Kenneth Mountain and wonkenstein like this.
  12. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    I know, I know. This begs yet another $5.00 question. Yes, it came with a really beat to $@@t Gibson case. I don't know if I can save the case. But I am definitely curing this yard sale relic of Honey Comb Fever. It's going to take time and a few beers though.

13. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    I think this guitar could make me a legitimate stoner.

14. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Was the $5 inclusive of electronics too? Slammin’ deal any way you look at it but I love threads where you someone just takes nothing and makes something out of it with what is there. Cool!! Subscribed

15. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    It came with the original spec MMK factory humbuckers, disconnected with less than 2" of wire but still reading on my multimeter. There were some parts in a plastic bag.... trapezoid cover tuners.....not great stuff. But the neck and body are definitely worth what I paid...... neck was in surprisingly nice shape with a brass nut, unmolested finish and worthy of good tuners. I'll get this one out there playing. It's just part of the work flow in the shop now. With several projects running if I get burned out on one I can put it down and look at another.

JurnyWannaBe, daan, -r3- and 2 others like this.
  16. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

Damn, that's the sort of thing that I've been on the lookout for for a while now.
    I picked up a set of Epi 57CH pickups like these a while back:
    Epi 57CG.jpg
    One is about 8.2-4K, the other 14.4K and I was going to try them in a thin Bullet body but that didn't pan out. I still might get another Epi LP II if I can find one ratty enough that the seller will let it go cheap,...:D

17. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

Why not a Vox bridge, if you can scrounge one used:
    vox-virage-electric-guitars-shutterstock-editorial-1863736a.jpg
    I now a guy that has one on his Epi 100 and it's pretty sweet.

18. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Man, these Epi pickups are pretty damn good.... you'll load them into something for sure. And you really can't beat the quality for the price, either. The MMK pickups I got with the Honeycomb Fever guitar measured 10k and 10.5k respectively..... have no idea what they sound like but they're basic single conductor/ground pickups. I suppose I could pop the bobbins off and turn them into four conductor pickups.
    But I really need to maintain focus ;-)

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  19. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

I've heard the odd set installed on some bottom dweller Epis as an upgrade and although a lot of people at the LP forums turn their nose up at the thought of them, I have to admit that they're no where near as shrill as some make them out to be. Now, that may be a function of the selection of electronics and other factors but you can't beat the price for something to experiment a little with(try pricing Gibson pups!): like for example, I now have a set of templates for a Mustang body and I had the idea of hacking one out of local pine and setting it up for these pups, cheap chinese hardtail, and a spare SE neck that I have laying around,...

20. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Yes, these are great, nice looking and not really common - another one I like is the Shroeder stop tail bridge. I've got a similar Schaller set up that requires 3 1/4" stud spacing. The piece where the strings anchor actually slides in and out of the back of the bridge. Looks like just about the same amount of string travel you show here, too. I'll get some photos up on it along with the stripped body.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice