What Happened To The Vintage Modifieds'?

Discussion in 'Squier Vintage Modified models' started by MOD-VM70, Jan 30, 2020.

1. MOD-VM70

MOD-VM70 Squier-Meister

Nov 11, 2016
    Florida
    Not being around here for a while, I only recently discovered that Fender discountinued the whole Squier Vintage Modified line. AFAIK, this line was super popular and a super value for the money. Why would Fender do such a thing? Does anyone have any insight into this? Perhaps the Cort factories wanted to charge more than Fender was willing to pay? I'm flabbergasted! :eek:

Angry Possum and cool gouhl like this.
  2. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

I think maybe there wasn't enough to differentiate them from the CVs. But I do like my 70's VM Strat in Sonic Blue.

cool gouhl, jamndad and drewcp like this.
  3. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    They're now the CV70's.

CVSteve and Ace38 like this.
  4. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    I agree. The VM 70's Strat and the VM Tele Custom are very nice.

TimTheViking likes this.
  5. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    They have gone to a land far far away,
    joined by the Standards.

SquierTap and stratfreak like this.
  6. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    All the VMs have been folded into the CV line, and so are now called CV instead of VM.

SquierTap likes this.
  7. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2016
    Sackville, NB, Canada
  8. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    Retailers are selling the last of their stock. Good chance for a deal on a new VM or Standard maybe!

SquierTap, Caddy, Viking and 2 others like this.
  9. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-Nut

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    VMs have been delisted from the USA version of the site. Those of us in other countries can see those models because they haven't been removed from the International site, for some reason.

SquierTap likes this.
  10. As well as the Deluxe. Cheers, Barrie.

SquierTap likes this.
  11. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Meister

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia,CSA
    Seems like you answered your question, right there in the question ! :D Large corporations have a long and bizarre history of shooting themselves, and their happy customers, in the foot, by (negatively) altering or outright discontinuing great products. We've all seen this in a wide variety of products, going back decades. The bean-counters and clueless upper-management idiots can't seem to help themselves.

SquierTap, Mr Bones and cool gouhl like this.
  12. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-Nut

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I have one of those Squier VM basses. I Paid $250 on Reverb, shipped. No tax back then...lol Two years ago. A Sick bass.
    20200129_235929.jpg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    SquierTap and MOD-VM70 like this.
  13. MOD-VM70

MOD-VM70 Squier-Meister

Nov 11, 2016
    Florida
    Oh no, the Standards too? I haven't been keeping up, so I don't know if this is their way of trying to be more efficient. The Standards and VMs were meat and potato work horses. Bad move on Fender's part IMO. I wonder what will happen to second hand prices.

14. MOD-VM70

MOD-VM70 Squier-Meister

Nov 11, 2016
    Florida
    Beautiful. I've got a lefty just like it. My only bass. The previous owner builds and repairs guitars so he couldn't help modding mine. Per my own tastes, these basses with the maple fb and black blocks are some of the nicest looking basses around.

Angry Possum likes this.
  15. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Squier Talker

Aug 31, 2019
    United States
    I really like my VM Squiers: Jaguar, Jazzmaster, Thinline Telecaster. I swapped the (not bad) pickups on all three, and they're all real keepers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice