What gauge and string brand do you all use

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Clarky75, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Shoe size 10 ... D'Addario EXL 125 (9 - 46)
    Merv_j likes this.
  2. vlxerdon

vlxerdon Squier-Nut

Dec 31, 2014
    Coastal Georgia
    EB nines or tens depending on the guitar since forever, at least it seems that way. :)
  3. Steelcityowl

Steelcityowl Squier-Nut

Mar 6, 2016
    Sheffield UK
    Rotosound 10s
    Rotosound heavy bottoms for drop tunings.

Rotosound 12s on acoustics
    kosti likes this.
  4. jimbojo

jimbojo Squier-holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Dean Markley Blue Steels 10 - 46 are my favorite but I will run Slinky's or Boomers on occasion
  5. seua

seua Squier-Nut

Mar 23, 2014
    Dunlop strings 9/46 on one strat, and 8/38 on all others...
    zebra 9/42 on acoustic
  6. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-Nut

Apr 1, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    Depends on the gauge, generally. 25.5" scale (strats and teles) I go with 9.5s, (but on the Jazzmaster, I make an exception and go with 11s). On a 24.75" scale (Gibsons etc.) I go with 10s. Short scale 24" (Jaguar), I go with 11s, but then I add strings from a set of 12s for the bottom end. Kind of like a heavier light top, heavy bottom. All strings are D'Addario, except for the Rickenbackers. For those I use the strings made by Pick of the Ricks, which emulate the strings Rickenbacker used to put on at the factory. They are ground roundwounds, 10-46.
    They also have a wound G.

Acoustic, I like the EB Aluminum Bronze a ton. Very nice mid and treb. I tend to go light on acoustic, 11-52 and even superlight 10-50 if they have them.

Bass, I used to go with Rotosounds Swing 66s, because they're so totally British and therefore bitchin'. And they're great - well, for their first two weeks. After that, they're ordinary at best. So forget that. I've since been using GHS Pressurewounds, which I really like. Also like Dean Markley Blue Steel nickel-plated. 45-105, even if shortscale.
  7. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.

Yep. Musicians Gear 10-46's. D'addario, if and when bulk packs go on sale.
    jefffam likes this.
  8. nitro

nitro Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    There, does that help? Lol. Welcome aboard man. I myself have been switching over to D’addario NYXL’s . As other have said, different guages for different types of guitars. I like them cause they are smooth to the touch . I have 10’s on my own hot rails deluxe. And couldnt be happier with’em.

When it come to it , just relax. Buying strings is all part of it. In the end , you’ll settle on what makes you happy.
    rorygman likes this.
  9. chimneysweep

chimneysweep Squier-holic

Jul 13, 2015
    SE Strat, B to B tuning, Dunlop heaviest 12-54
    need to finish it & post pics i know
    rorygman likes this.
  10. Ibanez GSA60

Ibanez GSA60 Squier Talker

Jan 27, 2012
    Walnut Creek, California
    NYXL 10-46. LOVE them.
  11. Paully

Paully Squier-holic

May 29, 2014
    Maine USA
    11's with wound 3rd.
  12. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Anyone use Stringjoy? They out of Nashville and made in the USA. I haven’t just wondering if anyone has heard of em.
  13. rorygman

rorygman Squier-Meister

May 9, 2017
    D'Addario EXL110W Nickel Wound, Regular Light, Wound 3rd, 10-46
    Just tried them after reading an article on wound 3rd string, and liked them. :)
  14. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-Nut

Sep 13, 2017
    GHS boomers 0.10-0.46 on everything
  15. Ray Stankewitz

Ray Stankewitz Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2014
    Fremont, CA
    EB Slinky 10-46 on the two SE Strats, my MIM Strat, the Matsumoku Orlando (my first guitar), the Agile 3010SE with mini-humbuckers, the Gibby Barney Kessel and the Dean Thoroughbred Deluxe.

The daughter prefers Fender Bullets 9-42 on her Affinity Strat, the Ibanez acoustic has Martin 80/20 bronze 11-54 custom lights on it. The Ibby mandolin and my old Monkey Wards A-style mandolin both have martin 10-34 bronze on them. The Dean Boca has D'Addario lights, 9-42 (I think) and the Mitchell Concert Uke has Aquila Nylgut 7U strings. I think I put Martin strings on my Dean acoustic bass, the Sears Silvertone and my daughter's Yamaha basses have the usual D'Addario ENR72 mediums, 50-105.

Bet ya wished you hadn't asked, eh?
  16. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-Nut

Apr 4, 2015
    Ernie Ball Slinkies. 9 - 46 for Strats and Teles, 10 - 46 for shorter scale stuff. I have the wimpy hands of a man who hasn't done manual labor in years...
  17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    I buy cheap, in packs now. D'Addario nickel rounds in 10s for 25.5 scale, anything less will get 11s, usually those balanced tension deals because the low E is a little thicker.
  18. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Oh.. all my basses get Roto, Swing bass 66. The great thing about bass strings is they last forever. I have some going back to the 80s that are just starting to settle in.
  19. Clarky75

Clarky75 Squier Talker

Dec 4, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Funny I’ve always used Daddario or GHS, put some Ernie Ball 10s on they feel great to play and they sound great, wish I had tried them earlier, plus they are easy to find.
  20. ADLGMT8

ADLGMT8 Squier Talker

Jan 6, 2018
    United States
    D'Addario 10's/11's depending on guitar - Fender scale usually 10's and Gibson's 11's. For my Archtop D'Angelico 12's Rounds or flat wounds.

Thinking about getting a set of 13's for a my new strat that I want to use solely for slide though!