What gauge and string brand do you all use

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Clarky75, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Clarky75

Clarky75 Squier Talker

Dec 4, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi All,

I am new to the forum, just purchased a Squire Deluxe Strat Hot Rails. What gauge and string brand do you guys use?

I currently have mine strung up with 10-46 Elixir Optiweb as my hands sweat like mad and it is summer here in Australia currently.

Clarky

2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    This is like asking our shoe size. I use D'Addario EXL 110 (10-46).

3. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Meister

I'm a creature of habit about some things ... I use Ernie Ball Slinkys 10-46, been using them on most of my guitars since, oh, the '70's

rawdatalab and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. rocknrguitars

rocknrguitars Squier-Meister

Jun 4, 2017
    East Helena Montana
    My gauges are all over the board depending on the guitar and what I'm playing. I go from 9 to 42 all the way up to 13 to 58. I use Ernie Ball or D'Addario's. Both quality products that will not break the bank.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  5. Eddie

Eddie Squier-holic

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I've been using D'Add's for decades. Then recently switched over to the Musicians' Friend house brand ... much cheaper, and I can't tell the difference. :)

6. Bulletman

Bulletman Squier-Meister

Nov 6, 2017
    Tuckerton NJ
    Yep same here. Ernie Ball Slinkys 10/46's since the 7o's also.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  7. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Meister

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I have been using Cleartone 10-46 strings for quite a while as they sound good, last a long time and don't take lots and lots of stretching to stay in tune. However, GC recently had a special on Ernie Ball Cobalts at buy one get one free. They are very nice strings for $5.00 a set but I'm not sure I would pay $10 bucks for them.

I've tried D'Addarios and don't really like them and I think the Elixers are generally overpriced. I do like a treated to coated string just to increase length of life. As far as gauge, That all depends on the guitar and the type music you are playing. Lower alternative tunings generally require larger strings. All my Fenders/Sauires came with 9-42 strings and my Epis all came with 10-46. I now just put 10-46s on everything as that seems to work best for me.

rawdatalab and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  8. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Nut

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    D'Addario's 9 for me

9. MrHooligan73

MrHooligan73 Squier Talker

Aug 4, 2016
    USA
    Ghs 9-42 on strats for me. Acoustic guitars get daddario 13-56 but they are dropped down a while step from standard tuning.

10. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    D' Addario 10-46s on electrics 13s on acoustics.

11. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Depends on the guitar. For my bucker equipped ones, GHS boomers, 9-46. On my single coil Strats (save one), D'Addario 9-42. On that one stray Strat, Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9-42.

12. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Different guitars and different music for me requires different strings.

For my electrics I generally prefer 11s on shorter scale guitars (Gibson/Epi/Jaguar), 10s on Fender scale.

I tend towards heavy bottom sets such as Rotosound Blues which start at 10 go move toward the 52 on the low E.

The Gibson Les Paul CM came strung with a unique set of 9 to 46 that works amazingly well. Since the guitar was given a Plek setup at the factory and the nut was cut with these I am sticking with them, but went over to D'Addario's own instead of the re-badged Gibson Britewires -- this because the later double the price just to carry the Gibson name.

I always keep some pure nickel strings on hand in 10s and 11s to tame the highs when such is desirable. Lately though, as I've moved from playing mainly blues to mainly rock, I have been tending towards the brightness of nickel-plated steel.

Acoustics are strung with Martin Lifespan phosphor-bronze. I play these guitars in sprints of heavy use for a limited time then rarely for an extended period. The Lifespan's coating keeps them fresh sounding and feeling seemingly forever. Since I have two dreadnoughts I keep one (the Martin) strung with lights (12s) and the Yairi with mediums (13s) to emphasize the difference in the guitar's basic sound.

-don

13. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I have always used Ernie Ball Super Slinkies (9's) since the late 70s. I've tried a few others here and there and always go back to 9s for all 40some of my guitars -a 1960 Gibson Melody Maker up to a 2014 Bullet Strat. The only exception is the old Rickenbacker 360-12.

14. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    Ernie ball super slinky 9's in most of my guitars.I have a Jazzmaster and mustang with 10's.Belive it or not I've never purchased any strings but Ernie Balls.

15. Dan Martian

Dan Martian Squier-Nut

Oct 18, 2014
    San Marcos, Texas
    I prefer .009-.042 on Strats and Teles, although .010-.046 seems to treat certain guitars a little better. I have one strat tuned to E flat that gets .011-.048. With Les Pauls I prefer .010-.046. Lately, I've been using Clearsound coated strings, just because stringing guitars is a bit of a chore, otherwise I go with nickel wound strings, usually E Ball or D'Addarios.

16. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-Meister

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    Just strung up my CV 50s Strat with D'Addario 9.5s and I really like this weirdo string gauge. Just had my JM set up with 10s after using 11s for a few years. I have a few sets of Ernie Cobalt 10s that I'll continue to use but I think I might convert to those 9.5s all-around.

17. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    You name 'em and I've probably used them..When I was active it was price and availability that determined my selection..That meant D'addario usually..Also used Boomers quite a bit for country on a Tele..
    As to the gauge, I make my own set..I always have a stock of single strings on hand..
    Different guitar have different sets, but I use the heaviest ones that work for that particular set up..
    My old hard tail Strat with high action is set up for slide and have .012- .052s on it..
    All 3 of my Teles have D'addario .10s currently, but they're gonna be changed at the next setup to the ones pictured here..
    I bought 20 sets of these at a MF close out and have a set on my only Strat with a vibrato..They're pure nickle and the best sounding strings I've found so far..
    Guitar Strings 001.jpg

five teles and so1om like this.
  18. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-Nut

D'Addario mostly. 10s on "Fender style" guitars and 11s on "Gibson style" guitars. My Junior might have 10s though...

19. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Mainly D’Addario EXL110W (10-46 w/18 wound G), but I can live with the standard EXL110’s (because they’re on sale the most).

D’A EJ16’s on acoustics (12-53)

20. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    For my electrics, I do like mostly pure nickel strings ... unless it's for jazz and then I use flatwounds. I have a set of D'Addario Chromes 11s on my hollow-body. My string gauges are generally 9s on my single-coil guitars and 10s on my humbucker guitars. I do have 11s on my Squier JM Jag because of its 24-inch scale. But I also have 9s on my 24-inch scale SX Liquid. So, paraphrasing Duceditor, different strings for different guitars and different music.

On my acoustics it's simpler: Medium gauge phosphor bronze strings. I do have extra-light gauge on my Esteban junker just because of the neck and ... well, because it's an Esteban.

On my basses, I use flatwounds generally.

As for brands, I use everything and still don't have a favorite. I just bought a set of Ernie Balls pure nickel because I've wanted to test them out. But, unlike others here, I'm not an EB fan very much. But generally I like Fender strings on my electrics and Martin or DR strings on my acoustics and on my basses I like the D'Addario Chromes a lot and also La Bella.

Oh I also like gauges with a heavier bass, such as the 9-46s for electrics. On acoustics I really like the so-called "bluegrass" gauge that is something like 12-56. I just think that is a perfect gauge.

I really don't use coated strings very much but I've had good results with the Elixirs, not the thicker Polycoat or whatever it's called, on an acoustic.