What does a clean boost do?

Discussion in 'The Buzz Box' started by horax, Jan 11, 2020.

1. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    Sounds basic, but if you want a clean boost, don’t you just play without distortion or overdrive?

how can you effectively use it?

dbrian66 likes this.
  2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

One use: If you have an amp that doesn't have enough gain to give you the distortion you want, you can use a clean boost to drive the the amp farther into its own distortion while not coloring the sound .

3. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    You can use clean boost for a lot of things. "Effectively" depends on your gear and your goals.

One example of how to use it would be to make a guitar with quiet (low output) pickups louder, to match the volume of a louder guitar. Specifics: set your amp for clean sound, with a big bad loud humbucker, like maybe an active EMG. Then if you grab a vintage Tele, it will sound super quiet so you can use a clean boost to make the Telecaster sound as loud as the first guitar

SquierTap, Rat cam 68 and dbrian66 like this.
  4. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    kick on the clean boost for a solo to give you just a little more volume to bring the sound up to let the guitar stand out in the mix better. But like Drewcp said it can also be used to boost the input and sound like a hotter pickup.

VealCutlet, SquierTap and drewcp like this.
  5. Redwhiteandblues

Redwhiteandblues Squier-Nut

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
    I use a parametric EQ pedal as my clean boost and it’s always on. Pushes the front of the amp just enough to make it sparkle without darkening it at all. Then I kick on the love pedal super six srv mod to get the grit

SquierTap, Rat cam 68 and drewcp like this.
  6. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    I use one when I switch instruments to keep the volume consistent.

SquierTap and drewcp like this.
  7. jtees4

jtees4 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2012
    NYish
    I use one for a lead boost (or I use a compressor for the same thing)....but it has to be the last pedal in the chain (only before delay or reverb).....can give a very loud lead boost in that position.

drewcp likes this.
  8. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    manhattan
    Contrary to what some might think, a "clean boost" pedal does not add volume (or more accurately "wattage'). It essentially just raises the volume already in the amp. In other words, it's no different than just turning up the volume knob -- except that you step on a button. An external pre- amp (such as the Tech 21) will add a real boost, be it clean or overdriven.

9. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    It just adds clean gain, right?

drewcp likes this.
  10. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Just built a kit today.

MVIMG_20200112_210150.jpg MVIMG_20200112_204833.jpg MVIMG_20200112_201341.jpg MVIMG_20200112_204835.jpg MVIMG_20200112_164333.jpg

11. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier Talker

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Son of a b.. Manifested and delivered!

fadetoz likes this.
  12. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier Talker

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Pretty cool fade, havent seen any diy pedal kits..

fadetoz likes this.
  13. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    These are the first 2 I've done. They are like $23-$26 on Ebay. They are not high end stuff but seem to be decent. The directions and wiring is lacking. The tremolo took awhile since the instruction are a basic picture that leaves you with allot of questions. I replaced the cheap pots that came in the tremolo kit with better ones. If you get a kit try to find one with regular looking pots and side jacks if possible. Can't wait to try this boost on my Champ and Blues JR.

SquierTap likes this.
  14. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    My understanding is quite different.

Turning up the volume increases the gain being sent on to the power amp. Unless that volume is already very high it'll make little of any change in anything but how loud the amp sounds.

A boost pedal raises the input level before the signal enters the preamp. This will, if it is just small amount, possibly just raise the 'loudness' as well, but in many amps this will also to varying degrees change the sound quality, this by adding overtones and compression as the preamp stage starts squaring off the wave.

Too, some pedals allow for emphasis and de-emphasis of various parts of the frequency spectrum. And again, because of the affect that has on the shape of the wave as that section reaches its saturation point it can noticeably effect tonal color in ways that just turning up the in-amp controls do not.

-don

drewcp and fadetoz like this.
  15. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I agree with Don. You can even hear exactly what he is taking about when I turn the pedal up all the way. It compresed the signal because it was pushing the front end a little too much. That amp I'm using is a SS GDec btw. I'm not an expert but I'm not on the same page with it being the same as turning up the volume on the amp. Before it distorts I can see it having the same effect, Kind of.

drewcp likes this.
  16. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    BTW, I wasn't saying you are wrong. Just that I have a different understanding of how it works. I'm no authority on the subject. I could be wrong.

17. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Yes, with one exception: When the output impedance of the clean boost is a lot lower than the guitar's pickup impedance. If you use a short guitar cable to the clean boost and any length cable to the amp, the boost will serve as a buffer amp and prevent treble loss from the otherwise long guitar cable's capacitance. This will work even with the clean boost set to zero gain (not louder when you step on the button).

Whether the clean boost will serve as a buffer would depend on its circuit. Some will and others don't as well.

Best1989 and drewcp like this.
  18. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    This is basic stuff - into an amp's gain channel, preferably tube - how 'hot' the guitar's signal is determines how clean or gritty the tone will be....the boost pedal is to hit the front end of the amp harder for more gain......

fadetoz likes this.
  19. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    I don't get it is a volume pedal or your volume knob on your guitar not the same thing as a clean boost. Or dose the boost pedals have other things going on inside it to boost the signal in which case would not the extra stuff inside color your sound just like a over wound pickup colors the sound from normal wound or under wound pickup.

20. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    No, we're talking about boosting the input into the amplifier beyond full volume on the guitar.....hitting the front of the amp hard for more overdrive and grit.....

fadetoz and drewcp like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice