What are your guitar goals?

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by Ishmann, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Ishmann

Ishmann Squier-Nut

When I first picked up the guitar my goal was to learn to play songs from my favorite bands. At first I was content to learn the rhythm parts. But, as I progressed I wanted to learn the solos and how to play lead. So I spent many months focusing on scales, technique and learning the notes in the fretboard. Then, using that knowledge I tackled more difficult songs.

Right now I feel like I'm at a plateau and I need to take it up a notch. So I am going to focus on learning/improving the following. These are my goals.

-Phrasing. I know a lot of scales and need to learn to make music with them.
    -Ear Training so I can recognize the sound of the notes
    -Singing while playing.
    -Standing while playing.

For me these are pretty lofty goals. But then I thought that using my pinky was going to be impossible. Now it's no problem. So, if I can learn to use my pinky, then someday I will be able to sing and stand while playing.

The cool thing about guitar is that I have a lot to learn and will always have goals and something to work on.

Please feel free to share your goals. Maybe some of us can help you achieve them.

2. Garyth

Garyth Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2013
    Florida
    I don't play, my goal is to wake up one day having learned all there is to know from this forum via osmosis .... meanwhile I thump on my bass because that what I enjoy :D

oh, trying to be serious, ok. Ear training and singing while playing. I'm not much for theory so after that it's just play what I feel, I don't care what it's called.

3. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Ishman, your age is not mentioned in your public profile, and I don't know how long you have been playing. But that attitude and approach will take you as far as your heart wants to go -- at least to the true joys of guitar playing.

Those plateaus are every artist's experience. Even great ones. And when pushed through often prove to be the door to another creative world. :)

I've been playing (hard for me to believe) nearly 60 years, but, yes, I still have goals. Right now such are two-fold.

The first is to more fully incorporate my voice pedal into my work with the Black Box Band. Something I've been doing more of since my health has started to improve allowing longer standing sessions and better balance -- allowing a bit more foot work as I play. (Never a strong suit for me.)

And the second, as mentioned elsewhere, is learning more complex chord and melody jazz stylings. This working with the book "100 Jazz Lessons."

It amzes me how much pleasure both of these are giving me. Deeply personal as I have no plans to ever again play publicly to any degree.

Truly "l'artpour l'art." I.e., "art for arts sake."

I can think of none better, apart from love itself.

-don

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    nitro, OzinKY, squierbilly and 3 others like this.
  4. hunter rose IV

hunter rose IV Squier-Nut

Oct 19, 2010
    seattle,WA
    Mine would include the endless quest for better Tone with the tools I use. I also really want to get into playing Gypsy Jazz this summer, it's such happy fun music...:)
    I've been, over the years, truly listening to what people play, and why it fits in the overall structure of songs..singers, as well. That has given me wonderful ear training as well as phrasing, and...I think an overall appreciation of what songwriters do.
    ive also been trying to listen to what my guitar's sound like...so I can hear their individual voices when I'm playing music. It's been good, retraining my ear...:)

skypeace and duceditor like this.
  5. Ishmann

Ishmann Squier-Nut

I will be 48 at the end of April. I "played" in High School but didn't learn a whole lot or know what I was doing.

My Brother gave me a Squier Affinity about 5 years ago and my wife bought me Rocksmith for Christmas 4 years ago.

Although I had a lot of fun with Rocksmith I felt that it was going too slowly for me. Then I discovered the magic of YouTube and video lessons on Guitartricks.com. I learn a lot faster with videos so I don't play much Rocksmith any more.

If they had YouTube back when I was in high school I'm sure I wouldn't of become frustrated and quit. That's what I like to tell myself at least...

duceditor likes this.
  6. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I play daily for at least an hour sometimes more. My goal is simple; to constantly improve my playing through practice.

7. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    My goal is to teach my fretting fingers to do what they're told. They act all jacked up alot.

8. Bailey1214

Bailey1214 Squier-Meister

Jan 24, 2017
    Quezon City
    My goals have never been focused, just wanting to learn a song every now and then.

squierTony likes this.
  9. Bear

Bear Squier-holic

Oct 29, 2013
    Kentucky
    This may sound morbid, but my goal now is to get them all sold before I pass.

nitro and Black Strat like this.
  10. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    My goal is to simply play tunes which make me happy. Or I'll just randomly pick a song from one of the how-to vids from the internet and go with it.

I have no aspirations. Nor do I bother memorizing songs. I play it until the chord changes are smooth, and then I move on to another song.

woolbrig, jackdragbean and squierTony like this.
  11. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    At nearly 70 years old, and having played since 1957, my only goal now is to be able to continue playing as long as possible. BTW, I still do learn daily.

12. StillSourDiesel

StillSourDiesel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2013
    Detroit
    To add art to the world as often as possible. Also, to get better at making said art

13. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    I've been seriously slacking. My goal is to get back to nightly lessons. I've also just started on 'Heart of Gold' by Neil Young. I'm going to get it nailed, start to finish over the next couple of weeks.

14. Hotrod89

Hotrod89 Squier-Meister

Feb 21, 2015
    Alabama
    I want to be a world famous guitar hero.

15. scifilullaby

scifilullaby Squier-Meister

Jan 2, 2017
    Athens, Greece
    I started (was forced to start) piano lessons at the age of 7 or 8, and as was the curriculum in that classical music school, for many years, a rigorous training in music theory from notation to transposition to chords and counterpoint and fugue. I hated every single second and amazed my friends by being able to read and study complex musical pieces but when asked to play a tune at a party, I didn't know where to begin. But all this knowledge has somehow seeped in my subconscious and it is the only way - at least the basic, solfege stuff - to achieve your goal of ear training. As tedious as it sounds, it is necessary and if you play with other people, it is a common language that other musicians will understand and collaborate. Looking back, I feel lucky to have had this training in my youth. that's my two cents worth..

ManKonis and Caddy like this.
  16. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    My wife had that type of training, both on the keyboard and with vocal studies -- basically opera style singing. That, along with classical and them "modern" ballet, was in her life from almost her earliest memories.

She enjoyed it, but only came musically alive when she reached her teens and "discovered" rock.

Interestingly the rock she favored was not such as the Beatles. No, she fell into the Stones category. Then led her band, IV Kings & a Queen, into intense acid rock.

I loved it when she played the classical. Or things like Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. But the only classical part they stayed with her was the approach. One of intense self-discipline.

What I have observed is that good training can make a difference. But it is the heart's attachment that brings it all together. Then it just "happens." :)

-don

scifilullaby likes this.
  17. vlxerdon

vlxerdon Squier-Nut

Dec 31, 2014
    Coastal Georgia
    My goal is to learn to play before I'm too old to cut the mustard. So far I'm not doing too good. I have forgotten so many things I had known forty years ago (sigh). That's what I get for letting life get in my way for those forty years.

Tele-kitty, Black Strat and OzinKY like this.
  18. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I would like to learn "chicken pick'n". I am decent with a flat pick and I can finger pick but I've never tried to blend the two. Those country licks would be great to be able to play.

19. jimbojo

jimbojo Squier-holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    My main goals now are writing and producing. I have most of the tools I need So no more excuses. As to guitar specific, just to continue to refine my limited skills and stretch my technique.

Black Strat and duceditor like this.