What’s the best deal you ever got on gear?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by kenneth, Sep 16, 2019.

1. kenneth

kenneth Squier-Meister

Aug 3, 2016
    Canada
    The thread with the Gibson pickups hiding in the garage sale junk box got me thinking...

What’s the best deal you have got on guitar related gear?

Myself, there was an ad for an amp found in a barn for $20. I phoned him up and said I would be over to have a look. Turns out it was a 1960’s Gibson Skylark with original tubes! $20!

Decided to take the chance plug in and try it out, sounded glorious!

Just before you get too jealous... I want to let you know that I am a complete dumbass. I went and traded it for a guitar with a twisted neck. Sucks to be me.

So... what have you scored? :)

2. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
  3. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Back in 2002 I paid $400 for a 79 LP Custom with case. Sold it a week later to GC for $1200.

4. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    A 1959 Gibson ES-355 Stereo with a Bigsby tailpiece and original case for $155 from a pawn shop. No, I don't have it anymore.

5. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    A couple of years ago I bought a MIJ Fernandes LE1 Z Strat and an Alvarez Regent 12 string acoustic for $40 on Offerup. I still have them...they're keepers.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  6. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Nut

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    From Amazon, on Prime Day 2017...

I bought an Epiphone LP Special II for $0.00 and a Yamaha FD01S acoustic for $2.65.

Both new, free shipping, no points cashed in.

7. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Almost 4 Decades back... free ‘50’s Allied electronics Knight (kit originally) Tube PA (~35W), from my job during college (they wanted it updated, and sent me to Radio Shack for a replacement, I asked if I could keep the Knight). It needed a 6L6, and I replaced most of the caps. I found 1/4 adapters to the old screw-type mic connectors at a local tube shop (this was 1982)
    It was my only rig for decades (albeit, I was hardly playing not long after I got it). Sounded great, even with the gain all the way up, it wouldn’t break up... had to use a pedal for Distortion.

FF 25 years later, I worked with a guy who had worked for allied, he had an original 2x12 cab (with Jensen’s) that originally was sold with/for that PA, he was cleaning out his garage and gave it to me.

A few years after that (when I started playing again) , I had the speakers redone (coils/cones) at J&J speakers, did the death cap removal, and installed a modular power cord, and some new knobs.
    It was a great bass rig, but not so much for guitar (requiring pedals for everything). I sold it six months after I got my Mustang III.

Keyboardist who bought it, is still gigging with it.

8. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    Got a CV 50 Strat for $75 because it had a pretty bad ding but I didn't care about that. Wish I still had it.

Attached Files:

9. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier-Meister

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    Probably my CIJ Tele Antigua for $225 off of CL.
    My dad got a Vibrosonic Reverb for $100 back in the 70s, which he had to clean brain matter off of. Guitar player at a bar pop played steel at got his head blown off by an angry woman. Dad got the amp his partner got his Les Paul.

Attached Files:

10. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    I remember 10 years ago buying a 1983 Larrivee guitar with the hard case for $65.

Matthew Larrivee saw it on my site and called me home to ask if I'd sell him the guitar
    for their museum in Oxnard, then I asked him for a trade and he offered me a 2010
    RS-4 LTD Goldtop made to my specs. Larrivee83.jpg Larrivee LTD on Wall 002.jpg

11. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I've had tons... My brother ran the only music store in west central Illinois for years. Lots of Fenders at cost. But old farmers would come in and ask if he'd give him money for "this old guitar". I got a Harmony acoustic for $5, a 60s 2x4 Gretsch Corvette for $15. I got a few Bullet HH for free after insurance from UPS.

When talking finds and garage sales type things. An EHX Microsyth for $5. One of the old early ones. Last summer I bought a Line 6 amp and a Harbinger 12 channel mixer for $8. I solde the amp for $45, bought the power supply for the mixer for $22 and came out ahead (that mixer is still sold new through GC for $135).

I think it was the late 70s and my brother (and his band) came to town for a gig. They'd hit all the music stores and i'd tag along. I always asked to go through the parts bins to see what I could dig up to put on something. One was a bridge pickup cover for an EB-3, an EB-3 mute, a Gretsch Tone Twister -yet I did not have any bass or guitar for those parts. Maybe, one day.

In 1986 I bought an EB-3 which.. needed the pickup cover for the bridge pickup and a mute (unlikely they were from that actual bass). Along in the early 90s I got that Corvette which... received the Tone Twister..

Yep, I've been pretty lucky.

I once traded my brother my 1983 Squier Strat for a 1960 Melody Maker with an added 1955 Les Paul P-90. A few years later I missed it and bought the Strat back for $150.

12. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    The best deal ???? FREE..I've done so much wheeling and dealing through the years that I can't remember them all..
    Mid 50s Gibson amp for $4 that needed a speaker..Traded it for a MIM Tele..
    Brown face Fender Concert that needed caps for $75..Sold for $1200..
    Free EC 3 that needed refurbished..Sold for $1200..
    Guild F50 for $100..Added a new case and sold for $1600..
    1959 Jazzmaster bought new for about $300.Gigged for 15 years and sold for $2300..
    It goes on and on..
    But I've had a few bummers to go along with that..lol..

Kenneth Mountain, corn, Robb and 7 others like this.
  13. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I got a Marshall 1960 Cab for $500 CAD once because someone painted the tolex dark brown.

I don't mind, made my first half-stack quite affordable. I kinda want my drummer to give it back but I don't have room in my apartment for it. At least I don't have to haul the darn thing to the drummer's house if I want to go jam.

14. mitch_cumsteen

mitch_cumsteen Squier-Meister

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    I got a MIA Fender Tele with Fender Chorus amp for $400. Sold it for $900 a while later.

Kenneth Mountain, Robb, -r3- and 2 others like this.
  15. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Probably the best deal I ever got from a retailer was my Gretsch G2655 that I got from Adorama for $299.99. The 2019 versions are selling for $549.99 and I like my walnut finish better than what they are offering this year. It is a great sounding guitar and Riff City.com was just recently selling the actual Gretsch case on a 60% off deal for $48.00. All in all, a pretty good showing for less than $350.00.

Gretsch G2655T-2.jpg

16. I've had a number of good deals. This one comes to mind. I got this a year ago (Sept./18) … it's a 1984 Squier SQ Stratocaster Made in Japan.
    It's in remarkable condition and all original aside from the p/g screws (& strings :D), for $240 CAD or $180 US.

SQ-01.jpg
    SQ-02.jpg
    SQ-03.jpg

Cheers, Barrie.

17. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Mine was blue parts caster I showed a few wks. Ago. Walked in to the local guitar store where the main guy knows me. Told him I wanted something inexpensive to give to my daughter. He walked to the back pulled out the blue paisley strat. Mim maple/maple neck. Loaded wht pearl p.g. with the seymore duncan do anything axe pickups. Ask could I use this. Just over a $100. Said yes I think that will be just fine. Gave it to her , sadly she has not picked it up in a while. But she is working f.t. and going to college. So I'm ok with that. When she gets ready. Oh hopefully I didn't boar anybody. 20190426_182916.jpg 20190426_182925.jpg

Rat cam 68, drewcp, daan and 6 others like this.
  18. kenneth

kenneth Squier-Meister

Aug 3, 2016
    Canada
    Wow! Nice!

Well I got a Fender Gdec jr. today for $40 out of the classifieds. I think that I did ok!

drewcp and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  19. Dcbowling80

Dcbowling80 Dr. Squier

Aug 26, 2014
    Laplata MD
    My best has probably been this mij 1983 Squier SQ for $20. Phenomenal guitar. 20190918_210447.jpg

20. Hoss

Hoss Squier-holic

Dec 20, 2009
    McGill, Nevada
    Pics of the pics. 1959 Tele, like new with hang tags, receipts in the original case. Bought it in 1988 for $200.

60 tele 002.JPG 60 tele 003.JPG 60 tele 004.JPG

Rat cam 68, Dcbowling80, daan and 8 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice