Weird Q about becoming a Nomad

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by daan, Apr 13, 2018.

1. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    "No matter where you go, there you are."

And that is true. If you are an alcoholic, moving will not make you not be one. You will always have that to contend with.

Within the next year, me and the family are moving from Chicago and out of Illinois. There is a long list of reasons -the economy here, opportunity, infrastructure, etc. The sprawl of urban development. The lack of any decent music scene. There is a "scene" and places to play, but it's hardly cohesive or vibrant. Also, the weather. It is cold and depressing 9 to 10 months of the year. Cold and gray.

So off to the east coast, a little further south. I will still have my Walgreens up the street, a Publix to get groceries, Walmart for cheap Miller Lite and the Dollar Store for batteries. I am certainly not a rural person, but the change in scenery, a reduction in road "construction", a growing economy, better cost of living.. and WARMER WEATHER!

So your devils and demons may chase you, if you have less stressors, better quality of living etc.. It's a big world out there.

CVSteve, wonkenstein and duceditor like this.
  2. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Completely agree!

One can make the best of what is available -- and at the same time be open to possibly more satisfying opportunities.

We lived in Boston for 30 years before we made our move. Career and other practical reasons made that the right choice. But our eyes remained open and little by little our vision became fixed on someplace else. Only when the time was right did we make the move.

Good luck with yours!!! :)

-don

CVSteve likes this.
  3. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Before my Mrs broke the news that her other guy didn’t work out (and was “settling” on me), she had suggested several times we up and do a “clean slate, in another state”, it was also suggested after the news broke. It’s a strong desire to break from what is holding you both (or her) back. I suggest going to counseling before doing anything, to get to the root of the problem.

jagmaster, Gloveberg and daan like this.
  4. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    It seems like there is nothing to worry about because The Boss has the entire thing planned already. You will be working all kinds of odd jobs at odd hours of the day and never spending any quality time doing repairs on the trailer.

so1om likes this.
  5. sooper8

sooper8 Squier-Meister

Mar 13, 2012
    UK
    Having lived for 5 or 6 weeks for 2 or 3 years in a van (in one stretch), I can tell you this.
    It is amazing, you feel great connection with nature, and healthier for it, you'll feel free and have great adventures. But, after a while (possibly after 5 days of rain/wind) you'll be desperate to sit on your old sofa, have a shower where you don't have to heat the water and hang the bag off a tree and not to have to empty your own toilet. So in short, highs and lows.

My ideal would be cut right back , slim down the bills, house , consumables...then maybe just rent the house out with an option to come back mid term.

All of this is said from my point of view with kids having grown up and left home, and just me and my wife in the van.

Do you already have a van?

wonkenstein likes this.
  6. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Hell, I would have just given my ex-wife the van and wished her happy trails.

surfrodguitar likes this.
  7. daan

daan Squier-Nut

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Daaaaang, that’s messed up. Things are better now, right?

radiotech likes this.
  8. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    Kids need stability today even more than ever. Nope.

9. mikesr1963

mikesr1963 Squier-Nut

May 6, 2016
    Virginia
    First off it's not just live where you please. Better check the laws for every state. There's a lot of video of people doing this on Youtube and having **** and piss in a bucket and then dump it not idea of fun. They talk about free camping but the spots are out West and basically are the armpit deserts of those areas.

wonkenstein and so1om like this.
  10. mikesr1963

mikesr1963 Squier-Nut

May 6, 2016
    Virginia
    Sweet heart you can drag your sorry ass down the road because I don't take seconds. Have a happy day.

wonkenstein, CVSteve and radiotech like this.
  11. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Yes, I’m on my own now (moved out a year and a half ago), the divorce is final (one month tomorrow). When she first proposed “clean slate”, I asked for counseling (multiple times through those years), she refused every time. My main mistake was not forcing the issue then (and still trusting her implicitly). Once the news broke, I knew why.
    Then I didn’t want to go to counseling. I stayed home for two years, hoping to see a glimmer of the person I knew (while we both went to individual counselors.
    During those (7) years behind my back, the person I knew, was replaced by a self-serving narcissist, who played me for a fool (which I was).

There’s a difference between supporting your partners dreams, and supporting your partners whims.
    Even if you take the kids out of the equation: Throwing it all away to live in a camper... is a whim. When you consider the kids, it’s outright wiggy. She wants to escape something that exists where you are now.

It’s one thing to joke, and have flights of fancy, where you say “It might be fun to...”, but if your spouse is serious about doing something that you are diametrically opposed to, there’s a deeper issue. Demand counseling now... before it’s too late.
    Don’t let this situation morph into something that too big for both of you. Catch it at the beginning, before it snowballs into an avalanche.

12. spellcaster

spellcaster Squier-Meister

Nov 25, 2010
    Duncan, BC Canada
    I've tried living in a 28' travel trailer for a couple of years and was glad to be done with it. The day-to-day inconveniences, such as limited hot water for showers, cramped quarters for cooking, and the problem of storing clothes for other seasons, was something I hadn't considered until I had to deal with it.

wonkenstein, duceditor and radiotech like this.
  13. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I couldn't do it. I drive between 1500 and 2000 miles a week. I want to sit still when I'm off. :)

14. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Meister

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    Most of the people in the world are crazy, especially women! Here, watch this:
    I’ve had enough experience with enough women to attest that this video is correct.

radiotech likes this.
  15. MississippiRob

MississippiRob Squier Talker

Dec 14, 2017
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I do not mind the questions. I live alone, but the plan is to move to the Houston area and my significant other and I live together in it. I have stayed in the Baton Rouge to New Orleans area for the last year and a half(?). My house flooded in the Baton Rouge floods in August of 2016, and I have been in a travel trailer since. I decided about 6 weeks in to the whole ordeal that I wanted to get rid of the house and live this way full time. It sold to her quite easily. I do industrial construction work, so this lifestyle works well with that. It does make you do with less (one guitar, was hard to decide which one that would be). All in all, I quite enjoy it.

daan and wonkenstein like this.
  16. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Meister

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    Is this out of the blue @daan or does your wife make suggestions like this often?
    Any chance she hit her head on a low ceiling? I did that once and for two weeks I thought I was George Jefferson.

eaglesgift, daan, mb doug and 2 others like this.
  17. ksandbergfl

ksandbergfl Squier-Meister

Sep 7, 2015
    I think I would enjoy it but not for the rest of my life. Sounds like something that would be awesome for a year or two....

keep in mind that living in a camper isn’t “free” either, or necessarily “cheap”. Lot rentals, gas, and repairs can easily eat up a chunk of change. There was a great article in Wired Magazine recently about nomads who discover that they STILL have to work, to make ends meet... there is an entire subculture of campers who work for Amazon during the holiday season.

mb doug and wonkenstein like this.
  18. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-Nut

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    To be honest this really seems like a lot more going on. Just totally uproot your kids and life and move at random from place to place? I mean sure when you're retired and you want to travel and see the country but just give up your income, life and insurance and "hope" it works out? not to mention what you put your kids through?

For me I vote "Not A Chance In Hell"

19. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Nope, my wife says some crazy stuff too once in a while but than forgets about it the next day. Usually its after a few glasses of vino. Is she singing a different tune today?

Las Palmas Norte and wonkenstein like this.