Weird Q about becoming a Nomad

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by daan, Apr 13, 2018.

1. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Ok, so the other day, my wife told me she wanted to sell most of our “stuff” (house and contents), pull the kids out of school, and just kind of live in our camper, moving from place to place as we (she) felt like moving. Honestly this idea has absolutely NO appeal to me, at all... and would never occur to me to do, either. I asked my co-workers about this, and all four of them said they would live this life at the drop of a hat. So how weird am I here? How many of you guys would drop everything and go be like dirty hippys living in a van :) ? Maybe I should add here that my dad was in the Army the whole time I was growing up, so the idea of moving just makes me tired... oh, and I went to school to do what I do, and have finally gotten a modicum of stability in my job...
    I’m totally in the minority here, aren’t I?

2. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    Sounds pretty appealing, actually!!

3. MississippiRob

MississippiRob Squier Talker

Dec 14, 2017
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I live in my travel trailer.

Triple Jim and wonkenstein like this.
  4. snivlem

snivlem Squier-Nut

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    yeah I would love it but can see why you might not....

daan likes this.
  5. SkeeterSkooter

SkeeterSkooter Squier-Meister

Jan 9, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    I have a bunch of friends who bought into the whole ‘tiny home’ thing before it hit mainstream so they have been doing it for about a decade.

Of those who were coupled up when they downsized half have since sold their tiny homes and either split up(a few blamed the small space) or bought a normal sized house.

For sure try to live in your camper for a month or two while it’s parked at your home. The constant close quarters and lack of being able to ‘get away’ from the kiddos is going to be the deciding factor.

And this all assumes you follow the golden rule....happy wife, happy life.

Stratlover84 and daan like this.
  6. Been done before back in the late 60's early 70's. Tiny house ^^^ perhaps. ;)
    Cheers, Barrie.

7. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    I don't think it's weird that you'd rather not pull up all of your roots and stability right now while the kids are still in school. But the nomadic lifestyle is very appealing to me now, with retirement right around the corner in 5 or 6 more years. My wife and I have talked about it already. My kids are in their 30s and self -sufficient, so it's just us. She thought she'd like the idea of living in a motor home and going from place to place in the Continental US, but I mentioned that a motorhome is asking for another mortgage. Small camper or trailer is out of the question unless I dump all but one guitar.....

That 'simple' nomadic lifestyle has trials and tribulations of its own. Your dad was in the service and your family moved all the time.... I stayed out and played music full time for 13 years living out of the van and various hotel rooms gig to gig in my younger days, but for retirement I'm thinking easy access to warmer weather and no snow is the way to go. You got to have a plan, man. Good luck. If there are any big disagreements you might be stuck in a tent.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  8. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    1) income source and 2) healthcare benefits. Those are the 2 things that prevent me and my family from moving off the grid as such.

I prefer a home. I'm not a camper, I like a home, places for my things, security, a bit of routine.

9. jimbojo

jimbojo Squier-holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Living in a van, down by the river!

10. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I think it's fine for adults with no dependents. Home schooling, lack of peer interactions, and the shock of changing lifestyles have to be considered with kids. I don't think it's a good idea.

Besides, where would you keep your guitars?

11. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I have so many questions!
    How is it going? Are you in one area, or do you move around a lot? How many in your party? Do you mind all these personal questions? :)

wonkenstein likes this.
  12. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-Nut

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    It works for some people, but it looks like you're enjoying some semblance of stability. Everyone has to do what's right for themselves and their family. It seems you have a lot more talking to do about this.

wonkenstein likes this.
  13. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Behind the power plant! Right!

jimbojo and wonkenstein like this.
  14. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I asked The Boss about this, and her solution was “When we need $, you can just work odd jobs.” Uhhhh... right...

wonkenstein and RoyalWe like this.
  15. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    A couple that my wife and I are very good friends with is about to be doing this, moving into a van to travel for a few months at least. I had talked to my wife about what if we decided to do something similar and I was surprised when she was more for it than I am hahaha. I’m more with the you Daan, the idea of living in a cramped space without an address or a guaranteed place to park doesn’t sound that great to me. Now...if you guys made a family band, you could just be “going on tour” and that changes everything.

wonkenstein and so1om like this.
  16. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    That's easy to do when you're not the one who has to do it. No disrespect to The Boss.

I could never live with those unknowns. Some people can.

Caddy, wonkenstein and radiotech like this.
  17. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Not a chance in hell I would do that.

18. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Some people's very nature calls for being on the road. Others are totally the opposite. And many (most?) fall somewhere in-between.

Contentment is not an easy thing to reach. If we don't have it than the search is on -- and physical movement can appear to be the answer. -Just a the old proverb says: "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence."

And of course it may actually be.
    And it can, indeed, be fun to check it out.

An old man who I was friends with when I was a very young man used to with some regularity remind me that "the Devil will follow you where ever you go." His point -- one that he endlessly saw the need to drive home to me -- was that what drives a person from place to place, or situation to situation, is often something inside them -- and that if that is so the endless movement will avail them of nothing. -That contentment has to come from within.

Now I am now almost as old as he was then.

Are his words "true"? I think they can be. So much seems to depend on attitude. So much so in fact that I have come to think that our attitude creates the world in which we live. And that'd be as true for a person on the move as one in stasis.

Love life. Live it.
    If there are patterns come to see them and understand them. Otherwise moving on will be of little help.
    There's that devil you know! That devil!

:)

-don

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    daan and wonkenstein like this.
  19. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-Meister

Jun 16, 2016
    NY
    No easy answer, as we all have different situations, lifestyles and preferences...

But if I could do it... I would rent out my house/apartment, and use that money to finance my nomad way of life and ¨visits¨ to other states. Living off of odd jobs won't always work out, so if you can rent out your house or apartment that is one way you can continue to have an income while out on the road.

With children still in school though, that will be tough. I wouldn't do it until they are at least independent and self sufficient.

daan and wonkenstein like this.
  20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Between the military and being on the road as part of a touring performance company I had enough of the nomadic lifestyle. I couldn't see doing this again. I have been offered at least $50k more a year to travel for work and I've turned it down.

Some people like life on the road though.

wonkenstein likes this.