Weird aspect about Fender's videos

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by DougMen, Dec 3, 2019.

1. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I've noticed that the videos on Fender's website now have subtitles. It seems to me that if you're deaf, then you probably won't be buying a guitar or amp anytime soon. Is there something I'm missing?

ScoobySnacker, AllroyPA and dbrian66 like this.
  2. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Many people worldwide don't speak English as a first language. My wife speaks 4 languages but we still very often use subtitles at home while watching TV.

3. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Heck, sometimes I use subtitles watching English, Scottish, or Irish shows...

4. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Maybe it's for the hard of hearing who buy 100W bedroom amps. :)

5. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Perhaps we should try this. Mrs. Lover will abstain watching some shows and movies because she knows my concuss damaged hearing does not process accents well. Thanks.

6. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    I was thinking about putting out a new CD called
    "Music For The Deaf"
    It should be very easy to record.

7. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Many shows have close captioning that you can turn on

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  8. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    There is a big difference between spoken word frequencies and music ones. Someone might easily have issues understanding dialogue but still be right as rain in music. I generally use subtitles and I've been around and doing music all my life.

9. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Ha! We do this for "Still Game" The subtiles are almost as funny, they spell it out exactly how the characters say it.

"Na, I cannae be arsed boabby" Boabby = Bobby apparently...

Kenneth Mountain and radiotech like this.
  10. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I use subtitles. I have a hard time hearing dialogue on tv.

CVSteve and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  11. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    THAT’s the show that got me doing it!

12. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    lol. That show the craik!

13. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

That's odd: there was one for them a few years back that had someone doing ASL in the sub screen, which raises the same question,....

14. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    Been done. It's a good one! 220px-Queens_of_the_Stone_Age_-_Songs_for_the_Deaf.png

Kenneth Mountain, MrYeats and drewcp like this.
  15. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Meister

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    Back in the day when I repaired televisions for a living the shop I worked at had a contract with a local hospital. This was way before the modern flat screens we have now, it was all 19 inch tube sets. We didn't fix anything on the spot, rather we had a closet in the hospital full of spare televisions. When a room set went out I was sent over to grab a spare out of the closet, replace the TV in the room, and take the broken one back to the shop for repairs. The fixed one would go back in the closet to be part of the rotation.

I was dispatched to a patient's room one day for a bad picture complaint. No big deal, just go swap it out. When I get to the room I learn the patient is totally blind! The TV had a vertical output circuit problem that resulted in a the whole picture being collapsed into a single horizontal line in the middle of the CRT. Everything else, including the sound, worked as normal. I swapped the set and moved on.

Still, it bothered me. Why in the world did a blind woman complain about a bad picture? I found out later that it was her granddaughter that complained.

You never know. I've stopped questioning things like this. There is always a reason.

TurtleFang, Kenneth Mountain and -r3- like this.
  16. NewsCam 603

NewsCam 603 Squier-Meister

Jul 31, 2019
    Concord N.H.
    Whaaaat?

Kenneth Mountain and Davis Sharp like this.
  17. TampaMark

TampaMark Squier Talker

Jul 12, 2019
    Tampa
    I'm like that. I do not go out to any movies because I miss so much of what is being said. With a video, at home, with my preferred headphones I get the jokes and what is being said AND have the subtitles to back up what I think they are saying.

Loin Lover and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  18. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

I think we are a bunch of partially deaf guitar players !

CVSteve likes this.
  19. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Many of us here have passed 50, 60, 70 or 80. For about as many, playing in garage/basement bands, there is a certain level of hard to hear from playing in concrete/cinder block rooms with terrible acoustics.

For myself add in 5 years of marching band rehearsals, 7 years of firing howitzers and going down the road in aluminum alloy vehicles at some speed and then 3-4 years of turning wrenches on Japanese bikes, it's actually amazing I can hear at all,not just some dialogue frequency loss.

20. Most of the time with those dialects you need subtitles. ;)
    Cheers, Barrie.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice