Weedy sound in position 2

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Jake e lee, May 18, 2019.

1. Jake e lee

Jake e lee Squier Talker

May 12, 2019
    Northern Ireland
    My strat,I recently fitted an artec hotrail in the bridge position (its now HSS) and when i was running in position 2 previously when it was SSS,I always got the strat quack in 2 (bridge/middle engaged) but with the hotrail...its just totally weedy!
    Position 4 with neck/middle....it gives the nice quack...both single coils btw.
    What would be the cause for me loosing my quack?

dbrian66 likes this.
  2. stratman420

stratman420 Squier-Meister

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    What do you mean by "weedy"? But the hot rail, like you said is a humbucker and high output, so obviously there will be a noticable change of sound of the bridge pickup, as well as anything it's combined with.

dbrian66 likes this.
  3. Jake e lee

Jake e lee Squier Talker

May 12, 2019
    Northern Ireland
    It has no balls,very thin
    On their own,individually...great but together...dear oh dear

dbrian66 likes this.
  4. Chubbles

Chubbles Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Philadelphia PA
    I hate to ask, have you opened it up to double check the wiring with available diagrams on the web?

You got my attention by saying weed. lol

5. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Usually that's the sign of phase cancellation and you need to switch the leads on your middle pickup.

6. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    Your duck cannot quack if its bill is fulla weeds!:D

7. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    mofojar is wrong. If you're position 4 quack is right, then you need to reverse the wiring of the bridge pickup, what's now to the switch to ground and what's now to ground to the switch. Then all 3 pickups will be in phase, and both quack positions will work right. If you switch the middle and not the bridge, then you'll need to switch the neck pickup too to keep all three in phase.

mb doug, Triple Jim, DrBeGood and 4 others like this.
  8. Jake e lee

Jake e lee Squier Talker

May 12, 2019
    Northern Ireland
    Next string change..il give that a go.
    The humbucker is the 4 wire type where you join the red and white wires together to complete the circuit,the other 2 wires are one to ground,one to 5 way however...the bridge pup is one that can be coil tapped.
    I have a coil tap switch but no idea of the diagram i need to make it that i can jump in and out of single or humbucker.
    even on artecs site...not much info
    UPDATE...Ive looked into the 4 way pu wiring,seems I need my coil tap to ground those red and white wires i previously joined together?

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    dbrian66 likes this.
  9. pflug

pflug Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2013
    Michigan
    Sounds like the bridge rail is out of phase with the middle- swapping the bridge leads should fix the problem and not change the relationship between the neck and middle single coils.

With a 4-wire humbucker in the bridge another mod I like to do is "auto split" where the humbucker is "normal" (two coils in series) in the bridge position an

dbrian66 and drewcp like this.
  10. pflug

pflug Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2013
    Michigan
    If your tone controls are through the 5 way switch you'll have to rewire them for the "auto" split- you 'd wire the "second set" of switch terminals so that the "bridge" terminal is wired with the series link for the humbucker (sounds like your red+white) and the middle is wired to ground (and normal 'second output" disconnected- when you select the bridge+middle it "automatically" grounds out one of the coils and you're only effectively using the other coil

Adding a second switch to "manually" split the bridge is another option- depends on if you like the sound of the split humbucker on its own- personal preference there. To my ears it seems a properly wired HB usually overpowers the middle in the bridge+middle position rather than having much "quack" and some HBs sound better than others when used alone and split

dbrian66 and drewcp like this.
  11. pflug

pflug Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2013
    Michigan
    The 4 wire setup is simple, it would be nice though if there were a universal color code rather than the wire colors different between manufacturers

To fix your initial problem just switch the switch and ground wires from the bridge pickup - a "normal" humbucker wiring is the two coils in series so the - side of one coil is wired to ground, the + side of the first coil and - side of the second coil are wired together and the + side of the second coil the "hot" output to the switch or a pot. By shorting the two wires where the two coils connect to ground you are effectively only using the second coil in the circuit

If you have the + and - out of phase between pickups the coils are effectively cancelling out a good portion of the signal resulting in the thin "weedy" sound

dbrian66 likes this.
  12. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I wouldn't bother with the coil tap, because the coils on a rail pickup are very small, as they have to make two coils fit into the size of a single Strat coil. So, because of that, I think having just one of the coils on would be pretty weak and wimpy sounding, but I could be wrong.

dbrian66 and Jake e lee like this.
  13. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    My guitar used to sound "weedy"..But I don't smoke that s*** any more..

14. lost sailor

lost sailor Squier Talker

Believe it or not, I got banned from Strat-Talk for a similar comment Papa-- what can I say, snowflakes will be snowflakes

Biddlin, dbrian66 and drewcp like this.
  15. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Dougmen is of course correct and I am not.

I was trying to find the source where I found my information, because the same thing happened on my HSS, but it was late and I was tired and my google-fu was weak.

I do remember that I had to switch the leads on my neck and middle pickups in order for them to match the phase of the coil on the two Duncan pickups that I've used. It seems to be a common thing when adding a humbucker to an HSS Squier.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    drewcp and dbrian66 like this.
  16. Biddlin

Biddlin Squier-Meister

Apr 15, 2019
    SACRAMENTO. Ca usas
    Yeah, but those same snowflakes are usually the flamers. I had a very humorous and apt comment deleted over at strat-talk because of a drug reference. They won't go away just because you pretend they don't exist.

stratman420 likes this.
  17. Biddlin

Biddlin Squier-Meister

Apr 15, 2019
    SACRAMENTO. Ca usas
    Yup.

18. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    But I'm senile..Make a lot of senile comments..

-r3- and LutherBurger like this.
  19. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Funny ... if there's one thing I think a Fender is better for in the electronics department, is that you don't need to take off the strings to play under the pickguard.

But that's me ...

Deepblankspace likes this.
  20. Deepblankspace

Deepblankspace Squier-Meister

Sep 28, 2018
    Washington state
    I once was an always off guy, now im a loosen the strings and try guy

DrBeGood likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice