Was SUPPOSED to be a NGD post...

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by daan, Mar 29, 2020.

1. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    0806E73B-AAB4-4676-822D-7881DEA11A65.png 50E488D0-016B-4610-A888-1DF542B4B465.jpeg 6512EC6C-E701-4CD1-914E-7823CB00733A.jpeg So about 3 weeks ago, my daughter broke her Clarinet. I took it to the music store to see if they could/would repair it. While I was waiting for them to call their woodwind guy, I started playing the Guild Madiera they had. A 70’s figured maple beautiful acoustic. I keep buying acoustics, because I feel like I should have one, and then selling them again because I never play them...
    Well THIS one just “spoke to me”, it played really easily, and sounded REAL good despite the old, corroded strings. I told them I would take it, if they set it up and put new strings on it while the clarinet was getting worked on. So of course they called a couple days before everything got shut down that the instruments were ready to be picked up. I was working the same hours the shop was open though, and couldn’t get to them in time. I did call to see if I could just meet them and pick everything up, but I haven’t heard back...
    I did find pics of a similar Madiera online, just to make this thread more interesting.

Oh, and the Clarinet just needed to have the Corks trimmed-a guy at my girls’ school wanted everyone to leave the kids’ instruments at school before the start of the school year “so we can tune up everyone’s instruments” and they didn’t recork hers quite right. Hmmmmm...

2. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I had one (bought for my ex, back when we were in high school, she still has it/doesn’t play) with a traditional dark headstock, side, and back. Phenomenal sounding instrument. Not boomy like a Martin, but has an exquisite mid range that carries through a room.

3. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    The store I was at had a bunch of fancy Taylor’s and a $$$$ Gibson, and I thought the Madiera felt nicer than all of them! I’m not the best finger picker so I don’t want to get into any debates about sound, but I really liked it. Mmmmmm, maaaaaaple...

Attached Files:

4. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    What a beauty !

HNGD !

mb doug and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  5. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

I hope you get it !

mb doug likes this.
  6. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Surprise! I got to pick it up on my way to work today. I called the store this morning and the owner met me outside with my instruments. 5C59104B-05E9-40E1-9F15-AFB3BCFD94DE.jpeg

Best1989, waynes world, Hugh and 2 others like this.
  7. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
  8. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Yeah I know it’s not ALL maple, and I know it’s probably Ply, but I don’t care. I like it, the neck feels really comfortable and it sounds even better than I remember with the new strings. I was hoping to look up more info online tonight, but the model number is all hosed up. 5C96336D-37E2-405B-AFAB-C01F51580015.jpeg

9. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Congratulations! Enjoy it!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  10. wickedtools

wickedtools Dr. Squier

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    That’s cool guitar.:)

11. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

12. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Nut

Dec 15, 2009
    USA
    Kenneth Mountain and daan like this.
  13. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    Mmmmmm Maple is right!!! Very nice!!!

14. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    From my (brief) online research, MIJ guitars had Oval soundhole labels, and flat (Martin-style) headstocks. Mostly. But not 100% hard-and-fast rule... MIK ones had a rectangular label and an ”arched” headstock. Neither of them were actually marked saying where they were made. But really, I don’t care, I like it no matter its actual pedigree.

15. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    It could be Maple's twin brother, Sycamore

daan likes this.
  16. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Nut

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia,CSA
    Years ago, (late 90's?) the big local music store where my brother worked (and still does), took in an older Guild acoustic (they didn't take in used/trade-in instruments very often). When I walked in the store, my brother, as he would often do when something cool came in, dragged me over to check this guitar out.
    Well, besides having a gorgeous, aged patina, it had a bizarrely full, warm sound, and resonated and projected like no guitar I'd ever picked up. I mean, that thing was clearly something special.
    And, the asking price wasn't outrageous, something around $350 IIRC, and I probably could've wrangled a better price than that.
    But, while I was ruminating on it, within just a day or so, my brother told me one of the guitar guys in the store scarfed it up. But, it left me with a highly positive impression of Guild guitars, ever since.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    daan likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice