Wait, WHAT? WHO's potentially buying Gibson??

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by IronSchef, May 2, 2018.

1. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    Rumors (take them for what they are) are connecting Joe B and Slash as part of a group looking to buy Gibson ...

so, the folks whose names on on THESE are going to "save" the company??? :eek::eek::eek:

[​IMG]
    slashLP.JPG

2. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Joe Massive Boner, the greatest shill ever.. And Slash, who played a copy LP for many years and enjoys life posting all his crazy social media stuff (I love that guy)... are going to do it?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight!

3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I haven't read anything serious about another party buying Gibson. I read that they got an addition $135M for the restructuring, which will keep the wolves at bay for a while - which is good, since Nashville is pretty far away from any bay.:)

4. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-holic

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    oké guys i have to admit, i'm buying gibson. to boost sales we will bring a very special model to the market next year...

I announce the hello kitty les paul traditional premium pinkburst custom shop deluxe edition!
    download.jpeg

it also comes with our best headstock design yet!
    Nasty-Gibson-Les-Paul-headstock-break.jpg

Merv_j, Jmv668, Robb and 17 others like this.
  5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Hide glue!

dbrian66, wonkenstein and TheKurdtz like this.
  6. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    The latest I heard on public radio this morning was that Gibson's Nashville operation announced the company was going to use the bankruptcy to restructure.

Bonamassa probably already owns most of the 'real' Unobtainium priced Les Pauls (better him than a collector who doesn't play at all, I guess) Plus I imagine he gets all of his signature models for el zippo. When he decides to clear out his warehouse and retire the market will be flooded with even more Unobtanium at more stratospheric prices than he paid. This translates to more good news for Sotheby's, I guess.

There is a genius with an MBA they hired (didn't catch the name - I was making an omelette) to sort the mess out and stay on through the restructuring. How about a Big McGibson and super size us all? Quality has been spotty ever since the Norlin days.... maybe the day is coming where a real, well made Gibson goes from 1961 backwards.

That new, improved Hello Kitty with the custom headstock repair? This is the kind of stuff that's been dogging Gibson's band sawed, short on the end grain necks for a long time. But Les Pauls with headstocks like this can be relatively inexpensive and once they are repaired, much stronger than when they left the factory!

Have you ever seen a Fender/Squier head stock break like this after somebody knocked it over? I still haven't.

fred2202, Robb, TheKurdtz and 5 others like this.
  7. nobucks

nobucks Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    One of the LONNNNG articles that I read on the subject said that there was a group of investors who were bailing them out. I assume these two are in that group.

I know Joe loves Gibson, and they both seem like good guys, but who knows how much say they'll have in the direction of the company? I doubt they'll be sitting in Nashville directing policy.

8. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Yeah, Joe loves Gibson, Gibson is totally in love with Joe, Joe's fans love Joe and he promotes Joe and Gibson like there's no tomorrow (ironic?) because if you've spent any time being subscribed to his email newsletter (I did for a while) you'd get the whole package - free downloads of some of Joe's recordings, advance promo deals on Gibson and Epiphone signature models as well as the latest Joe merchandise, too.

Don't get me wrong, I respect what Joe does for the fact that he really does work his arse off, tours and records incessantly, self-promotes his enterprise and does not have to bend over and spread 'em for any record company. At the very least, if he drops more than 30k on a guitar he'll actually use it and sweat on it for a while. And he plays like Joe, doesn't even try to sound like anybody else. I think this is all good.

I'm sure there are still good people working for Gibson who ought to be able to keep working and doing their jobs. It's possible that this is just another phase of the Gibson brand where once again, management and administration, due to the Peter Principle and not knowing a damned thing about guitars but being totally in love with marketing and getting the product out as fast as possible have all proven themselves to have been promoted to the level of their own incompetence. So far every corporate umbrella that has run the brand has successfully run it to the brink of disaster. I guess we'll see what happens during this next 'restructuring'.

I can't help but remember another company folding up when when GM, having so many years of top heavy management, restructured after the big bail out. It wasn't too long after they stopped making Pontiacs that the entire city of Pontiac, Michigan was up for sale.

But, maybe if Fender bought Gibson......

Robb, dbrian66, nobucks and 1 other person like this.
  9. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    If Joe were to come up with a 51% share...... and he had a few friends at Fender Musical Instruments..... they could figure out how to make a better quality Gibson here in the USA for the astronomical nut dropping price points as well as the oversight to ensure quality manufacturing of the mid to upper price points as well as lower price points. Joe is fond of vintage Fender gear, too. But it's not like Fender needs any more endorsers, right?

10. dtsreiuqs

dtsreiuqs Squier-Meister

Oct 18, 2015
    France
    I don't know the credibility and the assets of Bonmassa and Slash, but I don't think they would be enough themselves to re-rail Gibson. Fender seems more credible to me. Or maybe a Chinese company : why not ?

A+!

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    wonkenstein, IronSchef and dbrian66 like this.
  11. nobucks

nobucks Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I can't tell if you are agreeing with me or not? ;)

I'm not saying Joe knows how to run a company, but, as you noted, it'd be hard to find someone who tours harder than Joe...but, as others have noted, don't subscribe to his mailing list if you don't want a Joe Bonamassa catalog in your email every other day...he even uses his "cheap" signature models (Epiphone).

I'm just saying, I don't see how it's a negative to involve investors who love Gibson and love their products?

BTW, I think the Skinnerburst is pretty cool, so, maybe my judgment is in question?

:p

12. IMG_0226.JPG Sad days this is my L.P. family

13. This is before Pickup swaping began the Desert Burst now has my favorite pups EVER in it My Rose Pups ( I call them my Swampbuckers)The Honey Burst has Wizz pups ,Plain top has Lindy Fralins in it. For all Gibson's problems of late they got these 3 RIGHT ! I would have had to buy a Gibson Custom Shop guitar to get anything better ! IMG_3077.JPG

eaglesgift, Brettdvd, Robb and 7 others like this.
  14. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    5thumbs, Robb and IronSchef like this.
  15. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I must be lucky i have never had an issue with any of my Gibson guitars. I don't think they are going anywhere and i don't think JB is going to buy the Co. If he does i would love it!

Robb and IronSchef like this.
  16. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Someone at work told me Ovation was looking to buy Gibson. Have not researched this tho

EDIT: It was Alvarez.....the guy said Alvarez not Ovation. Sorry

wonkenstein and IronSchef like this.
  17. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Hey man, I'm in agreement...... and as far as what might happen with Orville Gibson's great great grandchild I'm probably speculating more than anybody. If Gibson is going to keep going as an American Guitar Manufacturer their going to need investors, no doubt about it. As far as Joe's online newsletter, you're right about that, too.

Skinnerburst? Who doesn't love a burst? That's definitely another new model influenced by the iconic (unobtanium for most of us) 1958 and 1959 Les Paul Standards. After a few years of wear and tear and exposure the cherry red at the outside of the burst would fade.... some of those guitars had gorgeously figured maple tops.

Joe Bonamassa has probably (by default) done more to escalate the visibility and dollar value of these guitars and Gibson/Epiphone in general, just because he's out there as much as he is.

Speaking for myself, I hope Gibson can pull through and come back with more quality and value. When you look at the several price points in the Epiphone line and the overall quality and consistency coming out of Korea, it makes you wonder.

18. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Somebody I've been watching for a few years now, Corsa Guitars..... you can access them here https://corsaguitars.com/and see what they've been doing for those who are looking for "that sound" and I really like their way of bringing the quality and value..... as well as the link to faberusa.com if you're looking to spiff up your newer model Gibson or Epiphone by replacing your cast zinc hardware with better than factory aluminum and steel hardware like Gibson used to use in "the old days".

Larry Corsa's philosophy and spin on the Les Paul was to go for the sound and quality build of Peter Greene's LP Standard from the early Fleetwood Mac days. You can special order your guitar, buy from what's in stock right now or you can buy a trade in.

Could Gibson do something like this? Fender basically already has a handle on it with their various Fender/Squier models - they never strayed too far from what works.

19. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Gibson must:

- make lower end guitars which don't look lower end
    - bring a newer version of their top tier Custom Shop guitars to within a $1000 price range (relabel as G or GII if they want to differentiate)
    - if the Chinese knockoffs can make a LPC copy for $250, then Epiphone can make a LPC for $300
    - they have to get a handle on their pricing ... even if they have to eliminate certain models.

nobucks, DaveDrums, 5thumbs and 3 others like this.
  20. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    :p

wonkenstein likes this.