Vox mv50 boutique

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by DrBeGood, Apr 25, 2019.

1. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Anybody own or tried that model ? Reviews are good and I don't need another amp. But I'm getting one for 150 Canadian buckaroos.

lg_4ef0ef41774afe3aec1f543990270a9d..jpg

Tele-kitty, drewcp, -r3- and 3 others like this.
  2. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    If it sounds as good as the Boutique (Dumble) amp models on their modeling amps, then It'll be a keeper. But, as with the other MV50 amps, it'll sound a million times better with the 112 cab than the 1x8 one.

drewcp and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  3. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I'm just getting the head for that price and it'll be played through either a 2X10" or 2X12" cab. I also have a 1X12" empty cab lying around, I could eventually get a speaker for it.

4. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Is there a tiny tube in there like the orange mini?..
    Little amps are all kinds of cool,, kinda fun.. kinda affordable,, kinda addicting.. :(

5. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
  6. jackdragbean

jackdragbean Squier-holic

Nov 16, 2011
    Mississippi
    Let us know what you think

SquierTap likes this.
  7. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Ooola fcknlala !

That tiny thing is a monster and loud, real loud. I don't mean loud for a small amp, I mean LOUD ! Maybe as loud as my AD60VT !

There is a real wide tonal range with the single knob and gain goes from squeaky cleans to fat roaring OD in a non linear fashion. From none to 2/3rd of the way it is nicely progressive, then the last 1/3rd just blows you away.

I think I'll have some fun with this ant amp. I only played it throught the 2X12 for now. I'll try the 2X10 later and then a 1X12.

8. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Vox is really killing it with all their amps. The new VX50GTV, which is the replacement for the great sounding VX2, now has a Nutube in it, and it's 50 watts and only $229. I wish that one of my local dealers would get it so I could try it, as it looks very promising. on paper.

9. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    If it had reverb (yeah I know, pedal) it could very well be the only amp I play.
    ... for now.

Haven't tried pedals with it yet, but I feel it will take them well.

10. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Any idea what kind of 12" speaker you would be hunting for your empty cab? I'm currently rearranging the way some of my speakers/cabs are configured.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  11. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I recall having a Celestion G12T-100 lying in a box somewhere. It was in that empty cab before.

Kenneth Mountain and drewcp like this.
  12. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Still a lot of fun with this guy. Great with a 12".

VOX MV50 Boutique.jpg

13. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-Nut

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    By chance have you ever played a micro terror? I am curious as to differences in tone

14. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Now I gotta try one !

drewcp and Bluzy like this.
  15. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Yep, I did have one for a while. Didn't do it for me, too linear, one trick pony. It was actually played through this same 1X12 cab.

This thing is way more versatile and rich sounding. More headroom too and WAY louder. That's the Boutique model. No idea how the other models do though, but I suspect they fill their niche. I'm not a metal player, so the gain on this one is plenty enough for me.

If I crank it, it has my Epi LP Ultra feedback when too close. Not a high whistling feedback, more of the hollow guitar kind, real low building hum. But if I turn the tone knob up it goes away.

16. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-Nut

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I wasn’t crazy about the tone of the Micro terror. Glad you like that Vox!!!

17. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    A little taste of it's gain maxed, with the new old Epi SG400 Vintage.

10.jpg

18. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    You should check out the video by Toby’s guitar gear on the micro dark vs micro terror. I went with the dark.

19. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    I have the Rock version and I love it on Deep Switched and through my Ampeg Bass cab 1x15, very rich :cool:

20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    I wonder how well this would pair with a Mooer Radar. The Radar works nicely with my Hotone Mojo Diamond.

The only thing I see that I don't like about it is the lack of an effects loop. I like to use the loop for reverbs and delays.

drewcp likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice