VM Jaguar Bridge PUP is crazy hot!

Discussion in 'Squier Vintage Modified models' started by boleiro, Nov 10, 2017.

1. boleiro

boleiro Squier Talker

Nov 10, 2017
    Salt Lake City
    Hey, just got a new VM Jaguar and love it. I have had a fender Jazzmaster for 10 years now and have always wanted to get a jaguar. The jag sounds and plays great. But, I'm a tinkerer... and I bought the Fender Pure Vintage '65 replacement pickups after reading lots of great results from doing the same.

However, after getting the pups today, I measured the output and they are 6.52 and 6.54 ohm. Then I measured the stock duncan design pups and the neck is 5.75 and the bridge is 11.3! Thats a beefy overwound bridge pickup. I would never have guessed as it doesn't have what I would consider to be a powerful tone that I would associate with such output. It sounds good with a thinner vintage vibe, what I would consider a underwound pickup.

So now I'm wondering if putting in a bridge PUP with less than half the output will even be worth the effort. I able to do this kind of work, but it is a slow grind for me to get it done.

Anyone have any experience with these 2 pups that can speak to their experience?

2. Steelcityowl

Steelcityowl Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Sheffield UK
    Do you like the pickups in there? I get the impression you....

Problem solved!

3. boleiro

boleiro Squier Talker

Nov 10, 2017
    Salt Lake City
    yeah, but why am I bummed... was looking forward to it sounding even better!

4. chimneysweep

chimneysweep Squier-Nut

Jul 13, 2015
    CA
    What color?
    The vintage wound will sound good with the other pickup together.
    You can also change one & not the other you know. Don’t have to do both.

5. Jmv668

Jmv668 Squier-Meister

Feb 21, 2017
    Chile
    Stock sounds good, the other part in the sound is what your amp and pedals can do for you.
    New pickups? Waste of money.

Steelcityowl likes this.
  6. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I'm hoping now we will. Your's! :)

For myself, despite years and years of playing, those numbers don't tell me very much. It's sort of like the numbers used to describe women back in the days of WWII. "42,24, 36" or whatever. I'd have been more inclined to just wait until I'd seen -- or, better, met -- the woman. And for me the same is true for PUPS and lots of other things.

One can put any kind of a PUP onto a Jaguar body, and by so doing get pretty much any sort of sound. But to sound like a Jaguar -- the sound that makes a Jaguar a Jaguar -- what the PUP has to be falls into a pretty narrow field.

I personally think that the SD PUPS used in the VM Jag are a bit hotter than ideal. But that goes with the name: Vintage Modified. I'd expect the Fender Pure Vintage to be just what Fender describes. Similar to the SDs but less driven -- that because such was the norm back 'when,' and such a sound is what the Jag was pretty much all about.

Now, which is "better" for any individual player is what matters, and that will be determined by what sound they are looking for. Vintage or, well, vintage modified.

Those that praised the Fenders... What type of music did they play? Only knowing that will put meaning into their words as to whether or not they are likely good for you. And indeed, what sort of music do you play? Eventually we will hopefully come to know, and then our well meaning comments will be far more useful.

But for now we'll wait to hear from you. :)

-don

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Caddy likes this.
  7. JazzMister

JazzMister Squier Talker

Oct 16, 2017
    Let your ears be the judge & not a DMM...

8. boleiro

boleiro Squier Talker

Nov 10, 2017
    Salt Lake City
    Thanks for talking me down... I'll be doing some soldering tomorrow. Gonna try out the new pickup set. The plan, install the fender neck pup and try it with the stock bridge pup. This could be potent. Then I'll throw the bridge pickup in and see which I like best. Looking forward to it.

Caddy likes this.
  9. Ken Rose

Ken Rose Squier-holic

Sep 23, 2010
    Northern California
    I have the VM Jaguar. It took me a long time to change them to my own pickups... The powerfulness of the bridge I found useful during my first few goes on it.

10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    Always remember resistance doesn’t correspond to output, but it’s mostly ok to compare similar pickups with similar geometry that way, all else being equal (magnet wire and magnet type too). The VM Jag and Jazzmaster pickups have a high resistance reading for sure, maybe from using a thinner wire—the basic tone is still single coil. What my ears tell me is the midrange is boosted. Too nasal sounding for me, I usually ditch them ASAP. Looks very similar to a SD Hot Jaguar pickup.

I kept my VM Jag stock. The neck tone was great, I just lowered the pickup on the bridge and it was very nice. However, the same pickups are on my Bass VI, and the bridge tone was not to my liking. I replaced that with a Fender ‘62 Jaguar pickup, a good deal, still out there new.

11. boleiro

boleiro Squier Talker

Nov 10, 2017
    Salt Lake City
    ok, have to say, that was the easiest pickup swap I've ever done! thanks again for all the replies... it helped!

So, I swapped out both the neck and bridge pups. I played it a bunch this morning mainly on the bridge pup and though it does sound good, it does seem to be pretty beefy in the mids. So, I just said F it and lets put the complete fender '65 set in.

This is it, this is far closer to how I expected/wanted it to sound. Definitely on the thinner side. But in no way weak or anemic in tone. Still need to play with the heights, but it is definitely sounding excellent. I think a lot of people would say there is less body to the Fender 65's and they wouldn't necessarily be wrong. The Duncan Designed stock pup's were more akin to strat pup's to my ear. I think this VM Jag with the Fender '65s is a more accurately a Jag. Still tone for miles, just not as "thick" if that makes sense.

12. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I will be find that out myself soon. Your thread got me to order a set of those Fender '65's for my VM Jag yesterday. They get great reviews over on the Surf 101 forum. Highly recommended over there. Most seem to like them better than the Fender AVRI '62's.

BorderRadio likes this.
  13. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Curious as to why it was the easiest pickup change you've done. What made it so easy?

Mine will be here this week.