Vintage Tuners

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by THRobinson, Jan 10, 2019.

1. THRobinson

THRobinson Squier-Meister

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    Looking to do a few upgrades.... trem was suggested to get a 007-1014-049 big block MIM trem which should direct drop into my Squier SE.

I emailed Fender about those... some sites say chrome, some polished steel, some nickel-plated steel... ideally I want all nickel hardware. Looks nicer, ages nicely, looks more vintage. Not heard back yet though, but if anyone knows of a vintage style nickel trem, let me know.

Tuners. Lots listed in nickel which is why I assume their must be nickel trems, then again there may be, but only for the USA strats.

While searching I did see some listings for vintage style Squier tuners. 007-4936-000. But then says that they need 8.7mm peg holes, which is the same as the USA Fender tuners.

- Are there vintage style tuners that fit Squiers with 10mm holes and not as wide spread overall? I noticed when using the vintage ones on a Squier, the low-E is pretty close to the edge on the back.
    - Are the vintage tuners I mentioned the same as the USA ones just made more cheaply?
    - And I guess... why are they all listed in nickel and bridges seem to be chrome? :)

Just curious to know if a direct fit, no conversion bushings needed vintage style "bean-button' tuner with the split on the top available.

Otherwise, I may grab the Gotoh equivalent, plug the holes and redrill them the correct size and spacing. With the bushings in place... the high and low E will have a hair more than 1mm of the plug showing, but on the back, the tuners will all sit together properly and way from the edge.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    The answer is no...I don't know of any vintage style split shaft 10mm tuners in existence....

3. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-Nut

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    Conversion bushings are super cheap. I buy multiple sets at a time on ebay.

I don't know if I can tell the difference between nickel and chrome from 3 feet away.

Sounds like a lot of money expenditure with little return.

4. THRobinson

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    How so?

Money as in buying new tuners? or money plugging/drilling holes?

Nickel vs Chrome, I can spot almost immediately, especially under florescent lighting. I also plan to play the guitar, so, will probably be closer to it than 3 feet. :D

5. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    I've been on forums for years, and I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but I've run into thousands of members....and you're the only one I've ever seen who needs parts to be nickel no ifs ands or buts about it.....

6. THRobinson

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    Nickel doesn't cost anymore than chrome... at least tuners don't, Les Paul tune-o-matics and tailpieces don't, screws, strap buttons etc... so not really a lot of money expenditure. Chrome or nickel, or gold even... tuners and trem are getting swapped regardless. If a nickel option exists, makes sense to have the trem match the tuners since most vintage tuners that I've looked at in my budget, have all been nickel.Fender, Gotoh, even many of the no-name eBay China ones are listed as nickel.

No one else needing it to be nickel simply means that they either can't tell the difference between nickel/chrome, they prefer chrome, or they just don't care. I care and can tell the difference. :D

I'm honestly surprised when I go on these forums at how much people do with their guitars, but seemingly don't care enough to be particular about anything. I started to notice that when I was after a very specific colour of paint and had trouble finding a match, and people replied don't worry about it, just pick a different colour.

Those are people who also probably have a lot of bad tattoos. :D

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  7. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Yep, you'll have to spend extra money on conversion bushings, @THRobinson.

When you do, check both inner and outer diameters to make sure they are compatible with the tuners you choose. You'll need 10mm OD for certain, but some tuner shafts are 6mm and some are 6.35mm (1/4").

8. THRobinson

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    Oh no... if direct fit ones existed, I'd have gotten those. Otherwise, from what I've seen using bushings, on the back of the headstock the tuners spaced out and the low-E is right at the edge of the headstock. I've seen a few even that stick out beyond a bit.

I have a set of plug cutters (metric) and since I am sanding the finish off the neck anyways, I'll just plug and redrill the holes... be a quick job minus dry time for glue.

I drew up a very accurate overlay in Illustrator for the current spacing and hole size, vs what the Gotoh's were plus bushings. D+G you won't see anything at all, A+B will have a hair of the plug visible. E+E will have I think around 1.3mm showing. I'd rather that than the gaps at the back, and slight overhang of the tuner-back on the low-E.

Plan to strip the neck and give it a slight amber poly clear... Varathane oil based poly I found has a decent hint of amber. I'll also use my Fieblings leather dye, and make a fake skunk-stripe up the back. So... plugging holes would be the smallest part of the project.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice