Videos on guitar setup..

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Papa Joe, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    This may (or may not) be of use to you..It won't hurt to take a little peek..

2. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-Nut

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    I always make it a p0int to check out every how to video's just to see if there is something of interests. Thanks for sharing.

Kaffeine_oo7, dbrian66 and MrYeats like this.
  3. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Thanks a lot Papa Joe, it's actually really good!

Kaffeine_oo7, dbrian66 and MrYeats like this.
  4. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Another good one imho (I suppose you all have already watched it , but just in case):

5. Strang_Banger

Strang_Banger Squier-Meister

Papa Joe,
    you vouch for it, eh fuhgeddaboudit, it's golden. You probably can do setups in your sleep now.
    If its worth your time, its worth ours.

Kaffeine_oo7 likes this.
  6. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    That Pedal Show - Ed O' Brien signature strat set up by Jonny Kinkead:

Kaffeine_oo7 and squierbilly like this.
  7. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    lol..Guess what..Crazy thing is, I did do guitar work in my sleep back when I was really heavy in to it..Same for tube amps..It would be so strong on my mind that I'd dream about it..
    Ya know how dreams get all twisted and goofy..Once in a while I'd be able to recall most of the dream..It was usually good for a laugh..

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  8. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Meister

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    th.jpeg Entertaining and informative.

Biddlin likes this.
  9. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Meister

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    Apparently i don't kn ow how to attach a video. Anyways, I actually setup my first L.P. following this video. One of the iconic Les Paul players, offering some pretty simple , yet effective advice on how he sets up his L.P.

10. Biddlin

Biddlin Squier Talker

Apr 15, 2019
    SACRAMENTO. Ca usas
    This is the opposite order of Fender's setup directions. It is based on performance and not measurements, hence, I don't take any. It works because the neck is immobile between frets 17 and 22. The trussrod only affects lower frets. By setting the upper end first, you know any buzzes are coming from too little relief. This method works for most guitars, with trussrods.
    Assuming no twisted neck or proud frets and a properly cut nut, with the guitar tuned to playing pitch (you should retune between each step) begin by setting the saddle height for frets 17-21(2) so that the strings play buzz free at the lowest possible height. I start with low E and work them in succession. (Lower the saddle until it buzzes, raise until clear.)If you bend notes up here, do some bends to make sure you don't fret out. When all strings are clean go to the lower frets and neck relief. Play the Low E string from fret 1 to fret 16, increasing relief (loosening trussrod) to relieve buzz or decreasing relief(tightening trussrod) to lower the string height, so tighten, by fractional turns, until it buzzes and back off until it doesn't. Go to the high E and do the same. Once high E rings clear check the others increase relief by tiny fractions if needed. do your usual bends and/or finger vibrato. Once you have acceptable relief, i.e. no buzz and easy action, set your intonation and you're done.

11. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Thanks, that will be useful to a lot of people! Do you have the title and the source? That way anyone could find the video!

12. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Meister

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    "Joe Walsh Les Paul setup full video" on Youtube..... Maybe someone with better computer skills than me "pretty much anyone" can post a link.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice