Veterans and Active Duty, Where and When?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Flyer91, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    Wow, thanks for sharing that. Father and son in a combat zone at the same time. You should be proud. Thank you and your son for your service.

OzinKY, Flyer91 and jefffam like this.
  2. OzinKY

OzinKY Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2017
    You and I know the deal when duty calls, so did he. Very proud of him. He went to basic, advanced, and airborne training, then to Ft Bragg. I pinned my first jump wings on him less than a week before deplying myself. His BN at Bragg was already deployed. It didn't take him long to realize being rear detachment was no fun. He asked me to see what I could do for him to join his unit down range. Difficult decision for a parent, yet he was a grown, albeit young, man. I contacted a couple CSsM (I was a SGM at the time) and about two weeks later he was in Kuwait enroute to the nastiness of Sadr City.
    Nothing against the NG or Reserves, I worked with thousands of them over the years, but I would see support groups asking for donations in public venues when units were deployed. So many people, including the ever present media, had sympathy for families of those deployed. Please don't take that wrong, having a loved one gone is difficult regardless of profession. Some of us were more accustomed to it than others. Just think how my wife felt, child and hubby deployed at the same time. Like the awesome military spouse she was she just told people "they're at work".
    We had always developed our own support group, many of which were civvie friends, neighbors, and church members. One of my best and most trusted friends in life lives in Linden. Met he and family in '95 at kids soccer game. Go figure. Pic is 9 years later.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  3. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Meister

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    Haven't checked in on this thread in a few weeks and wanted to thank the rest of you as well. It's you people that keep the rest of us living the good life. And it's you people that keep this country the best in the world
    Thank you again

4. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    AAW_100_2017.png

Well today was the last and most important day of All American Week. Division Review. Even though about 4,000 82nd Airborne Paratroopers are deployed throughout the world, the remaining 12,000 will pass and review on Sicily drop zone for those fortunate enough to make it there.

I lay here sick in bed and read about it. It was at 11:00 am. I have been a participant both in the review and as a spectator. It is truly moving from both perspectives. I have an empty feeling not making it this year. It's a special 100th year event. I literally live fifteen minutes off post. So close, yet so far away.

5. medicchief

medicchief Squier Talker

Feb 10, 2018
    Arkansas
    Full time firefighter for 25 years....early on I wanted more, therefore I joined the Army reserves as a medic and then went ARNG. I spent 12 months in Iraq as a combat medic (2004-2005, 1st CAV), section chief for a BAS (Battalion Aid Station), with 9 line medics......made it home with 8. No desire to share details.....we had good days, bad days and horrific days. I retired a Battalion Chief from the FD in 2006, after 25 years of service. I retired from the Active Duty National Guard in 2015, after 23 years of service. Good bless you all, and thank you for your service.

6. guitar guy

guitar guy Squier-holic

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    2006-2011, USMC Baby!!!! Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Qatar.

7. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    Glad you guys made it back. I hope you are able to deal with the emotional part. I realize some folks don't want to talk about their ordeals overseas. My father was like that.

Best regards, Danny...

medicchief and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  8. guitar guy

guitar guy Squier-holic

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    Noting all that bad really happened to me. I was in the air wing and specialized in repairing NVGs. The most traumatic parts were the -10 degree winters in Iraq, Captain Rodgers MCMAP program in Afghanistan, and the Afghanistan summer heat. But mostly I just brought back a bunch of funny stories and pictures.

Rollmeaway and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  9. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier Talker

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Army, Airborne Infantry 2010-2014.
    Had been stationed at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson in Alaska the entire time except the 10 months in Paktia Afghanistan.

10. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    My parents moved from Indiana to Florida in 1966 while I was in college. This was before the draft lottery, when they were drafting every able-bodied guy. I had received a draft notice during the school year which I had to take to the school registar. Being both young and stupid, once the school year was over and I had gone to Florida I decided to take one semester off and enjoy Florida. No way that they would get me before I registered in a Florida university.

WRONG! One week after school started that fall at my former school I received my draft notice. Made for one very long semester off.

Did my basic and AIT (Advanced Infantry Training) at Ft. Dix, N.J. Then to Ft. Benning, Ga. for jump school. Sent to VN as a member of the 173rd Infantry Brigade. Arrived just in time to be involved in the only large airborne jump, Operation Junction City Alternate in Feb. 1967. Went really bad which is the reason it was the only large airborne jump of the war. Lost a lot of good friends during that 13 months spent over there.

After our to of duty we returned to the U.S., landing in San Francisco. Could they have picked a worse place to land us at that time? As you might imagine, we wereweren't met with a very enthusiastic reception. Just the opposite in fact.

After my discharge I joined the Florida National Guard where I served another four years followed by another couple years in the Indiana National Guard. Made for a decent part time job.

In my mind and from my experiences I consider those times of the hippies, drugs, anti-war demonstrations and burning draft cards and flags the low point in American history. Woodstock? I would have rather been back in VN than at Woodstock. I sure wouldn't have fit in there! Never have had hair long enough to touch my ears or collar, never owned a pair of bell bottoms, a tie-dyed shirt or ever even have tried any drugs.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  11. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    Airborne Infantry at JBE-R is extreme. Malamute DZ is killer cold. And Paktia Province is described by some as the most dangerous place in the world. Glad you made it home.

Best regards, Danny...

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  12. medicchief

medicchief Squier Talker

Feb 10, 2018
    Arkansas
    Thanks Danny....some days are worse than others. I've found that playing the guitar is some of the best therapy. Just sitting down and improvising blues licks is about the extent of my ability to play. That said, it seems that the guitar brings me peace of mind and I'm only thinking about tone, the next note....etc. I've tried so many other hobbies, spent thousands of dollars trying to find that "happy place" and I always come back to guitar. Rain or shine, day or night, I can always pick it up and escape. Nothing else has done that for me. God Bless ya brother!

13. chimneysweep

chimneysweep Squier-holic

Jul 13, 2015
    CA
    thanks to all who served and still serving, & to their families
    round of beers on me

14. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    I'll be paralyzed 30 years this May. My psych at the VA insists that my problems with anger, mood changes etc. is caused by the dreaded PTSD. He suggested I get a hobby to keep my mind off my problems.

I played in garage bands and filled in for my gigging father when his bass player couldn't make it when I was in my teens and early 20's. So, about four years ago I started back messing with guitars. Like you, they are very therapeutic. I gotta start playing more than working on them though. That modding bug can get you and you keep on getting one more project, then another one and if your not careful, you do more working than playing. They are both therapeutic but I still need to play more.

Regards, Danny...

15. Trumpy

Trumpy Squier Talker

Feb 5, 2018
    Western WI
    U.S. Navy, USS Oriskany CVA-34 aircraft carrier in Tonkin Gulf (Vietnam) 1969 - 1970

16. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Ditto that - Thanks for keeping us safe ! !

Rollmeaway and squierbilly like this.
  17. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Age -- not meaning so much the years, but the living -- changes a person.

Back in the mid to late 60s I would have appeared to be a hippy. Indeed when my band moved with me to Boston in `68 and we rented an run-down old mansion in what had become a working class area it was called by our neighbors "Hippy House." Some affectionately, but many not. (Especially the guys who hated that their girls loved hanging out there with us and the music)

But in truth I was not a "hippy." There was craziness all around me -- group showering and bed hoping, getting stoned with this and that -- that I pretty much avoided. And when a few group members invited me to join them to a crazy music happening in a place called "Woodstock" I demurred.

I saw both good and bad in the so-called "youth revolution."

Back in NY my older sister was in the heart of it. She thought me cool for my music, long hair and the like -- and invited me to join her in all sorts of stuff. Like hanging out at Abby Hoffman's apartment. And to this day I quite often see names and photos in the media that were her circle -- people I knew -- now wacky politicians.

I was against the nation's involvement in Southeast Asia, but equally against those who disliked America and who disparaged our military.

Looking back I see those times as rather dark. Just too many good people caught up in self-destructive ways of life. Too much talent thrown away. Too many things that others had bled for taken for granted. And more than anything, perhaps, the destruction of the family.

I think there is now a slow healing going on. The keeping of the good things that advanced then -- equality and opportunity for all -- but a return to certain values -- including valuing those who sacrifice for our nation.

Life is a trip. No soaked sugar cubes needed for that.

Live it and love it. That's my creed.

"Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." Amen.

-don

Caddy, Rollmeaway and squierbilly like this.
  18. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    US Navy 81-85 A-6 intruder squadron whidby Island. WA. Two westpac cruises,, one on the corral sea,, one on the constellation.. Our paths probably crossed more than once between boot camp,, schooling,, and deployments..
    Some great stories here,, don't know how I missed this thread the first time,, may have been layed over in some nomads land (no cell service for me in much of the Midwest outside of the bigger cities)..
    Thanks to all the servicemen and all who contribute to make this the best darn forum on the web!.. In the best country on earth!..

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Kenneth Mountain and Rollmeaway like this.
  19. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    You should be very proud. You served with the legendary 173rd Airborne BCT during a very trying time.

This should be a sticky under VC's Parlor. We would be the only guitar forum I know of that has a dedicated veterans section. This could serve vets that are having problems that other vets might be able to help out.

Should include veterans from all countries.

(hint, hint to the powers that be)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  20. medicchief

medicchief Squier Talker

Feb 10, 2018
    Arkansas
    It's a honor to wear the CMB.....sure sucks (for the wounded) to earn the award.