USB recording interface reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Home Recording and Studios' started by Treehouse, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier Talker

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
    what are you budget-minded folks using?

I am thinking two track will be plenty. Thanks!

edit: I don’t know how to spell recommendation. Or how to edit!

Mr Bones, Angry Possum and dbrian66 like this.
  2. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Are you talking about a USB audio interface? If so, I'd think 2 would be o.k. I've got a Focusrite 2i2 gen 2 on the way.

Mr Bones, Treehouse, Caddy and 2 others like this.
  3. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    I still use my Focusrite 212, had it for years!

4. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Next paycheque I'm getting the Focusrite 2i2 3rd gen!

5. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Focusrite 2i2, or if i just want to use my guitar on pc then i use the lead cable from rocksmith and record on reaper..

6. russtopherb

russtopherb Squier-Meister

Jan 8, 2020
    MA
    I have 2 Tascam models, but if I were buying right now it would be Focusrite all the way.

Mr Bones and Treehouse like this.
  7. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I have an old M-Audio I bought used on eBay years ago. It works good, but I do think it’s outdated. Probably have to go with something new next time I buy a new computer.

Treehouse likes this.
  8. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Just to add to what I was saying before, I got a pair of older Genelec studio monitors from a friend but I need an interface with two 1/4" outputs to run it. Another friend highly recommended the Scarlett Focusrite interfaces, saying they were really low latency and sounded good for amps and vocals.

So I've been waiting patiently until the first non-rent paycheque after my Player Strat was paid off- which is the 6th of March. I'm going to get an SM58, the third gen 2i2 and some cables to hook it all up, and then I'm going to come home and make the plunge into Reaper.

Hopefully soon I'm able to make decent vocal recordings, which is one thing my current setup is struggling with.

9. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier Talker

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
    Thanks for the quick replies! 2i2 was at the top of the list. Seems like 2nd gen is good enough to not worry about the latest/greatest. What vendor has it for the best price?

Cheers!

10. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    If you don't mind used, Reverb has 1 or 2 for $80-90.

Treehouse and mofojar like this.
  11. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Nut

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    I use one of these:
    https://www.boss.info/us/products/micro_br_br-80/

I just got it this week, and so far I am extremely happy with it. It is a low-latency, low-noise USB interface (with built-in effects!) as well as a field recorder, an 8-track recorder/mixer, a drum machine, and it plays backing tracks too.

TimTheViking and Treehouse like this.
  12. Deepblankspace

Deepblankspace Squier-Meister

Sep 28, 2018
    Washington state
    Im a behringer fanboy so ill sugest the behringer u phoria

Treehouse likes this.
  13. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I have had mine for years. (Probably first gen) Bonus is that it makes for really nice soundcard for the computer. Far better than the built in soundcards.

Treehouse likes this.
  14. beagle

beagle Squier-Meister

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire Pub
    My old Alesis (M-Audio) will be replaced with a Focusrite Gen 3 this year (unless Gen 4 comes out )

15. Chubbles

Chubbles Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Philadelphia PA
    Thanks. I've been using a cheapo Behringer. It's time to upgrade.

16. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Squier-Meister

Feb 2, 2013
    Bucharest - RO
    Boss (Cakewalk) UA4FX is my choice. Multiple operations plus included FX. Great for guitar, but not only, 48V as well

17. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I have a Newer Behringer, 1st Gen Focusrite, and idk what PreSonus, each for different purposes. I like the way the knobs click into place on the PreSonus, but have not noticed any other appreciable difference between any of them.

Deepblankspace likes this.
  18. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-Nut

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I bought a used Lambda USB Recording Interface on ebay about 2 months ago, my first one. Its built well, and has nice weight to it. Its amazing, just love it. Paid a mere $30 shipped. I use Mac Garageband free software to utilize it. This interface has a lot of inputs etc. I'd try for one like this used.

81eJWhte7mL._AC_SY879_.jpg 144_original.jpg

19. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-Nut

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Good stab possum..you got Midi there so one stop shopping on that..You can run a controller as well through it and monitor direct for low latency!

Angry Possum likes this.
  20. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-Nut

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Prosonus has some good software with it.. The amps in the behringer are nice..

Ive been futzing with the Usb interfaces since 2005 as I built a daw to record with.. I recommend you get at least two Mikes with midi if you can, that way you can record two inputs at a time if you want to.. Most of the units have xlr ans qter but its a price bump for two and the midi..More Inputs more Busses good for expansion recording...Midi is neccessary even if you dont think you will use.. Coz you will want to interface dtums or keys in your music production..

Angry Possum likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice