Unchain my heart

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by bigtuna, Nov 7, 2019.

1. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Ok apparently the Dr. From the show house. I believe it's called is a helluva blues singer , and piano player, also does st James infirmary. But long intro but worth the wait. Oh his name is hugh Laurie. Having trouble attaching link sorry. Definately worth your time to Google. It.

2. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
  3. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Thanks Tony my wife pulled that up while we were driving home earlier this Eve. She thought he had nice pipes. He really sounds pretty good. Kinda jazzy blues style.

4. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    He is pretty well known for his music, I can never decide what style he does though, Jazz, blues a mix of the two or something else..
    Personally I preferred him in his comedy roll of the Prince regent in "Blackadder".

5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I thought he was singing was fine, technically. He can hold the notes. Maybe it's not fair to compare anyone to Joe Cocker (whose version smokes), but Hugh Laurie's singing lacked emotion. His delivery doesn't vary from the beginning to the end. His piano solo (3:25) was more classical than blues - not a technical deficiency, it just didn't fit the tune. Maybe that's how he was trained and how he usually plays (I don't know his music). This cover didn't really grab me. Maybe it's me or maybe it the wrong song for his style.

On the other hand, if he was going for the piano lounge sound, he nailed it.

6. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Still it's a cool project for a guy that doesn't play the Vicodin addicted Doctor House anymore. I've always thought some singers/players can really pull of the lounge act pretty well.... I agree with Mr. Sharp on this one, and Hugh does have a good voice here.

Joe Cocker? Over the years Joe has done some amazing interpretations of other writer's tunes and just totally took them to another dimension. But then again Joe Cocker was more than just another pretty voice.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  7. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier-Meister

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    Seen him with his House Band at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass in Golden Gate Park back in 2011 for free.99

That was a great show. Saw Merle and Kris together too, and Guy Clark too.

8. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Meister

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Lounge Lizard style with a solid horn solo. I like it. BTW, Joe Cocker's version was great, but Ray Charles' is definitive.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice