TV show recommendations

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Hotrod89, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Hotrod89

Hotrod89 Squier-Meister

Feb 21, 2015
    Alabama
    Trying to find a tv series that I can get into. Right now I've been watching Chicago Fire, This is Us, and some of Designated Survivor. Any recommendations of a really good series?

2. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Well I cut the cord about a year ago and it’s been nothing but Netflix for me.
    I discovered Royle Family recently (I’m always late to the dance).
    It’s a sitcom but done very differently than traditional sitcoms. Only 4 seasons.
    That’s my pick tho.

Pat V., VealCutlet and radiotech like this.
  3. chimneysweep

chimneysweep Squier-holic

Jul 13, 2015
    CA
    Including series?
    Peaky Blinders, sopranos, breaking bad are worth watching multiple times, to me.
    I don’t watch network tv; I can’t recommend any.
    Daredevil
    Ken burns documentaries

jackdragbean and ElRey67 like this.
  4. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Throwing a re watch on Deadwood right now! Other sghows on deck is the new show Bull, stars whatever the dude's name is that played Denozo on NCIS pretty good.

West World really surprised I liked it being a sort of remake (Anthony Hopkins)

The Son (excellent) Pierce Brosnen (spelling?)

Carnivale older but excellent

All the American Horror seasons

Anything Walking Dead :)

Got a million of em folks. If I could remember the names!

theflow likes this.
  5. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    I did enjoy Peaky Blinders. Tom Hardy as Alfie was pure magic on the screen. And big brother Arthur was a fantastic character.
    Breaking Bad is the king of them all, i've got to say.

jackdragbean likes this.
  6. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    The old comics fan in me keeps me watching all the current offerings in arrears when they show up on Netflix at the end of the season. The downside... I have to pass on talking about them when I see my friends who also watch.

While I enjoy the DC offerings (Arrow/Flash/Legends/Black Lightning/Supergirl) for their attempt to bring classic comic story lines to the small screen, it’s kinda screwing the pooch for the DC movies when the show episodes (or mini-arcs) are better than the movie plots.

The Marvel Netflix offerings are cinematic quality. All of them are good (except m a y b e Iron Fist), some are great (Daredevil season 2, and The Punisher).

I’m way behind on Dr Who (streaming/OTA only for me), but that will be remedied shortly.

I’m also waiting for Star Trek Discovery to wrap season 1, so I can binge it on the one week free trial of CBS all access. The Orville is pretty good, it’s more of a homage to Start Trek, than a spoof.

Other stuff that’s caught my eye: Life in pieces, Game of Thrones (read the books), Trailer Park Boys, Shameless (kinda the same show as TPB, but with family), It’s always Sunny in Philadelphia.

I’ve never made it all the way through Walking Dead, or Breaking Bad, some episodes are fantastic, some put me to sleep (better in small chunks).

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    jackdragbean likes this.
  7. jackdragbean

jackdragbean Squier-holic

Nov 16, 2011
    Mississippi
    Well everybody, especially radiotech, said most of what I would say but my wife and I just started watching The Alienist on TNT. It's very good so far. You can watch all of the previous episodes online to catch up.

Another good series on Netflix that I enjoyed that hasn' been mentioned is Turn. 4 seasons.

radiotech likes this.
  8. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    Ditto on Deadwood,Carnivale,and West World. Oh,and Shameless ( I never realized until the 2nd season that it is a direct copy of a British show with the same name.)

Merv_j and radiotech like this.
  9. SkeeterSkooter

SkeeterSkooter Squier-Meister

Jan 9, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    the IT crowd, Bloodline, and Hell on Wheels are all great.

10. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-Nut

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    I really enjoyed River and The Fall...on Netflix, of course. Bosch, an adaptation of the Michael Connelly novels, is great (on Amazon Prime.) Threes also Difficult People on Hulu. And the IT Crowd is simply great.

ElRey67 likes this.
  11. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    On Netflix, 6 Feet Under is my best series ever.

Then there's:
    Stranger Things
    The OA
    Weeds, Ozark
    Littlehammer
    The Shield
    Californication
    Black Mirror

Davey and radiotech like this.
  12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    What? I can't believe you're not watching Celebrity Big Brother or Masterchef Jr? :confused:o_O

Merv_j likes this.
  13. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Yes!

jackdragbean likes this.
  14. vlxerdon

vlxerdon Squier-Nut

Dec 31, 2014
    Coastal Georgia
    Network T.V. The good doctor, 911 and the resident are a few.

15. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    The Americans - two Soviet spies living in the DC suburbs as husband and wife with two American-born children. Currently on FX, past seasons on Amazon.
    Vikings - A farmer/warrior becomes King of Norway through guile and strength. Currently on History, past seasons on Netflix (I think).
    Longmire - modern western, set in Wyoming, about a Sheriff and his department. Ended, past seasons on Netflix
    Battlestar Galactica (the 2004 re-boot) - aside from the humans vs. cylons conflict, it's about rebuilding a society and from scratch. Ended, past seasons on ???
    Godless - another western, set in the 1880s. A town full of women (most of the men died in a mine explosion), a merciless band of outlaws, a sheriff, and an ex-outlaw turned good guy. One season on Netflix. I'm not sure whether they will be more.
    Orphan Black - small-time street hustler finds out that she's a clone and then meets her sisters who, together find out that they were made by an evil company. Ended, past seasons on Netflix(?)

ElRey67 likes this.
  16. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    The Amazing Race.

bgmacaw likes this.
  17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    It's on Amazon Prime now. They've certainly shopped this series around, going from Netflix, to Hulu and now, Prime.

A couple of good Netflix science fiction series are Travelers and Dark Matter. They have their flaws but are entertaining none the less. There's a science fiction series called Ascension on Netflix as well that had a good premise but the story kind of fell apart. It's worth a watch though.

Recently, I've been enjoying watching a lot of music documentaries that are on YouTube. The quality is spotty though.

And let's not forget FloridaBama Shore, My 600 Pound Life and Mama June: From Not to Hot. :confused:

Davis Sharp likes this.
  18. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    What are you talking about?

19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    My wife is, unfortunately, a big reality show fan. I get exposed to these bits of modern "entertainment" often.

20. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Good; she sounds like a smart lady. The Amazing Race is a good introduction and education into cultures, customs, and many things people would never otherwise see or learn about. I can't tell you the number of times I've been inspired to research a country or custom because of that show. It makes me want to get up, get out, and see the world.

Much better than sci-fi and all that "made up as they go along" stuff that's out there.

VealCutlet likes this.