Tusq nut for Bullet Strat

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Chubbles, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Chubbles

Chubbles Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Philadelphia PA
    dbrian66 and ToneChaser77 like this.
  2. Atlen

Atlen Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    I installed a Tusq XL BQL-5042-00 without issues on mine. The 5000 and 5010 should fit as well

https://graphtech.com/collections/tusq-xl-nuts-guitar

Why are you replacing it?
    Can't say I noticed much difference after I installed a new nut on mine, but mine is a hardtail. I would recomend to try some graphite in the stock nut first.

Stock nut on mine was glued in rather well so had to apply quite a bit of force to get it out.
    Use a sharp knife to cut around the nut before trying to remove it. I didn't and tore loose a small piece of the fretboard, glued it back in so not noticable anymore.

dbrian66 and Triple Jim like this.
  3. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    That is the one I have used on my Strats. Also on my Teles. Big improvement to eliminate binding in the nut slots.

dbrian66 and Chubbles like this.
  4. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Yep, you're right.

The 5010 will also work. The big difference between the two models is height. If the 5000 is too short, you can shim it with paper and super glue (I've only had to do that once), and if the 5010 is too tall, you just keep sanding the bottom until it isn't.

dbrian66 and Chubbles like this.
  5. Chubbles

Chubbles Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Philadelphia PA
    Thanks to both of you! I've shimed a Tusq nut before. I'll do the 5010.

I'm installing it because my floating bridge doesn't go back in tune. I installed Fender locking tuners. The Tusq may help.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    dbrian66 and Caddy like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice