Turn any amp into a Dumble (Tube amp), Phillip McKnight

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by SoleilSF, Jun 12, 2019.

1. SoleilSF

SoleilSF Squier-Meister

Mar 1, 2019
    San Francisco
    Get the sound of a Dumble (tube amp) from any amp? Or something like that...

Thoughts?

---

2. Archangelmm

Archangelmm Squier-Meister

Nov 26, 2017
    Valrico, Fl
    I watched this video, I watch all of Phil’s videos and his “Know Your Gear” live videos, it sounds impressive, not sure of the price but making about 1 a month it probably won’t be cheap.

SoleilSF likes this.
  3. SoleilSF

SoleilSF Squier-Meister

Mar 1, 2019
    San Francisco
    --
    From the Malin website.
    D-Type Preamp Pedal:
    • $799: Pedal and power cord
    • $180 due on order placement
    Note: at this time only 120 V/60Hz US spec is available

---

Archangelmm likes this.
  4. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Elsewhere
    I’m going to hear an $800 pedal combined with my amp in person before I spend so much. I doubt that can happen in this case.

SoleilSF, bgmacaw and Stratlover84 like this.
  5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    For that kind of cash there are many other pedals or effects units I'd prefer to buy.

SoleilSF, Conghaille and Stratlover84 like this.
  6. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-Nut

Jun 16, 2016
    NY
    $800?

Overkill. Just buy a used Vox Tonelab and use the Dumble Special Overdrive settings. Done deal. You save $700+ and get a slew of other amps and effects if you need them.

These are like those klon clones... why spend so much??

SoleilSF, bgmacaw and Conghaille like this.
  7. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

First impression, I'm trying to suppress my "gag reflex" over the price. It's $800 for roughly 30% of an amplifier and not something I'm able to consider.

The challenge for me is that at that price point, one owes it to themselves to look at a lot of other gear. For context, he's running an $800 pedal/pre-amp into an amp whose reissue sells new for around $1000. There are also Dumble pedals out there. Does this thing sound 2 - 3 x better than those?

I look at him with his GLP running into the Princeton and he kind of reminds me a little of the "bikers" in my neighbourhood. They are accountants and lawyers who live in subdivisions and every Saturday they get up and put on their brand new Harley leathers and climb on their late model $25K bikes and rumble around the backroads for the afternoon pretending to be outlaws. I call them "Dads of Anarchy". ;)

Anyway, in musical terms, they seem like the target market for a product like this. If you have deep pockets and want another thing that makes a different cool sound, fill your boots.

8. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Well, that blows my thoughts on good sound all to hell..I've always thought the important part of good sound was from the final stage of an amp..Not the pre-amp..But what do I know..

Archangelmm, SoleilSF and Conghaille like this.
  9. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Well, considering I've seen real Dumble Overdrive amps selling for over $100k, (just threw up in my mouth a little), I guess $800 is a bargain!
    And I know the bike owners you talk about well. We used to be a big draw in Daytona Beach, played every big week there. Spring Break, 500 week, and Bike Week, when it was really Bike Week. All the big 1% clubs would ride in and take over the town, and all the local bikers would go on vacation and leave town. Luckily, we were wildly popular and loved by "biker types", so we got taken care of like royalty. But I've seen some things go down that still make me shake my head. Now, that week is a bunch of doctors and lawyers who trailer their high-dollar bikes in, then ride them up and down main street all week, wearing brand-new leathers, and think they're "Bikers".

SoundDesign likes this.
  10. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Elsewhere
    I think cost is tied not to use value, but scarcity. If this person can only make 12 a year, and there is demand—surely, now increased by Phil’s video—he can charge a ton. Also, if he decides he’s not interested in doing that after four years, then there’s fewer than 50 in the world, which increases their market value vs demand.

EDIT: honestly I bet he could go a lot higher.

SoundDesign, DJGranite and SoleilSF like this.
  11. SoleilSF

SoleilSF Squier-Meister

Mar 1, 2019
    San Francisco
    ----

Pre-amp: What do people think of something this Line 6 Amplifi TT as a pre-amp?

-

12. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-Nut

Jun 16, 2016
    NY
    Haven't had any experience with Line 6 in decades... but if it's a multi-fx, it probably has some decent sounding amp models and effects... will listen to the video when I get home tonight!

SoleilSF likes this.
  13. SoleilSF

SoleilSF Squier-Meister

Mar 1, 2019
    San Francisco

As you may know, Line 6 was purchased by Yamaha in 2013? I think that's the correct year.

Here is another review or explanation of the Line 6 Amplifi TT pre-amp (into an amp or even into your hi-fi home stereo speakers) module:

--

14. Archangelmm

Archangelmm Squier-Meister

Nov 26, 2017
    Valrico, Fl
    Wow $800 for a single pedal? Not for me. If I was going to spend that much money on a pedal I would go all in and buy the new BOSS GT-1000 and get the latest version of their flagship board, but I would never spend that much on a single pedal no matter what it does, I would much prefer to spend half of that on the BOSS GT-100 which would be more than I would ever need.

SoleilSF likes this.
  15. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-Nut

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Maybe we're missing the point? I remember when getting Car and Driver magazine how they'd always test cars that were way out of my league. Isn't this pre-amp targeted at a very limited market? Some high-end player that's looking for a very particular sound and has the disposable income for the "pedal". After all, he only makes about 10 a year.

SoleilSF and Archangelmm like this.
  16. ksandbergfl

ksandbergfl Squier-Meister

Sep 7, 2015
    My Johnson Marquis JM120 (modeling amp) has a Dumble-esque setting called "American - Boutique". I played along, a little, with his video so I could listen "side-by-side"... sounded virtually the same to my ears.

SoleilSF likes this.
  17. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I enjoyed the video, but I can get me a twin reverb an grin ,grin ,grin :p:p:p

SoleilSF, Loin Lover and Bassman96 like this.
  18. ksandbergfl

ksandbergfl Squier-Meister

Sep 7, 2015
    No, you're not wrong. Many of our favorite rock tunes were recorded with the guitar amps cranked all the way up... in many cases, that's the one-and-only way to get some of those tones.

19. SoleilSF

SoleilSF Squier-Meister

Mar 1, 2019
    San Francisco

I'll definitely take one or two. Maybe three.

I have a Crate GX-30M which needs some effects and in need of a Dumble like tone output. Hahahaha

20. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    I guess if a dumble is worth $300k? And they are no longer made than $800 for a preamp is a steal!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice