tuning up for bow season

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Loin Lover, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Any bowhunters getting ready for fall? This morning's cool temp caused my neck to begin swelling.
    Archery whitetail opens soon. I enjoy the preparation, simple with limited resources. A few tools, a little bit of work (very enjoyable work for me), and a lot of Mother Nature. Target shooting with visualization and self induced stress, even just a few shots per day, cranks my amp.
    This is my second year experimenting with micro food plots. So far so good growth wise considering they get very limited sunlight. The white clover is candy to them and very nutritious.
    As much as I anticipate the season opening I also dread it. Spiderwebs and their creators are everywhere, mostly face level. There can be one tick or mosquito on 1,000 acres and they would find me. Ticks haven't been bad this year, skeeters are terrible. 80+ degree temps, 80+% humidity, and skeeters buzzing make sitting still and quiet uncomfortable at best. Waa waa. I look forward to the first hard frost.
    What are your hunting preparations and plans, regardless of game or tools? Has anyone used a Thermacell (or equivalent) or supposedly scent free (ahem) bug repellent you recommend?

Attached Files:

2. JoeInMichigan

JoeInMichigan Squier-Meister

Jun 10, 2018
    Michigan
    I can't wait for October 1st,opener Michigan , ticks have been terrible in the northern lower peninsula where deer camps at,cutting firewoods been a pita,3-4 on me after every day,got clover,turnips and some rapine planted doing soso,dry hot summer,hopefully rain lately will help up there. No amount of deet or anything else ive heard of helps with horseflies,tic,skeeters. Just wait for the freeze to do its work. I stay out of my swamp stand until first good frost/freeze. If not it'd drive me outta the tree shortly after strapping in. Closer to the rut anyways.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  3. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    Getting the itch here in Nebraska. My youngest daughter will be archery hunting for the first time this fall, as well as one of my other daughter's boyfriend. I'm more excited for them than for myself

4. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I haven’t been hunting in years, but back when I did, the weather was the main reason I never got into bow hunting. To me, it’s just supposed to be cold when your hunting.

Good luck to all you hunters this season. Respect the animals and stay safe!

5. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
  6. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I got one I've been hunting for the last 3 years that is just old and smart. That deer isn't the biggest in the woods but it's the one I'm after again this year. PICT0195.JPG PICT0197.JPG PICT0200.JPG

7. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Dandy 10! Why don't they pose like that at 20 yards? Good luck getting a good look at him.

8. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Actually, I thought you were getting ready to show us your Jimmy Page "Dazed and Confused" impersonation!

9. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

Archery started here in California last Saturday with temps still in the 90s in the mountains. I wasn't able to get enough archery practice to feel comfortable out there, though. Rifle season is another matter...

Over this past Spring I spent a lot of time with a new .308 and scope combo dialing everything in at the range and was minute of deer out to 300 yards. At 100 yards, which is as about as far as I'll be reaching out to, I was getting consistent 1" groups with my handloads. September 22 I'll be heading out to hunt in Cali for the first time since I moved here 15 years ago. Kinda stoked.

Tomorrow will start another round of range practice with the required non-lead ammo.

10. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    That's the definition of a "trophy" buck in my opinion. There's nothing like taking a mature deer that you have a history with!

11. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Look 20 yards behind him on the right.. you'll see my blind lol

I probably have 200 pics of that particular deer.

12. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Heres a fe more off that same property. 2014-11-129522.28.34.jpg 2017101995172606.jpg 2017101995172506.jpg

13. JoeInMichigan

Jun 10, 2018
    Michigan
  14. JoeInMichigan

Jun 10, 2018
    Michigan
    I always wondered how hunting in socal would be,being out of state,license fees were too steep and quotas were longshot. Seen quite a few at Santiago oaks park hiking but that's only place I saw any and that was before the fire their. Saw some bighorns driving between Temecula and p.springs quite often but was a little intimidated to try the desert terrain hunt. Let me know how you do,and have a great season!

15. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
  16. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I have a big non-typical out there too but cant find a pic at the moment.

17. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    This is almost as bad as Gas....... 2013-07-31 21.50.20.jpg 2014-10-22 14.09.41.jpg

18. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Deer I watch all spring through July make an exodus to the ag fields in August. I haven't seen these in a while. I'm hoping big bucky said 'we'll be back.'

Attached Files:

19. JoeInMichigan

Jun 10, 2018
    Michigan
    Walked out to this elk this afternoon grazing across from hotel parking lot,Warrenton Oregon 20180824_124013.jpg

20. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    After a few cool days the foreskin is calling for high 80s-90 again. Skeeter swattin' season opens Saturday. I have ordered a Thermocell to try. Perhaps I'll start my season on my deck with iced tea and citronella candles. Pics from a few minutes ago.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice