Tube Amp is arriving on Sunday

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by jbrowning, Jan 3, 2020.

1. jbrowning

jbrowning Squier-Nut

Jan 28, 2019
    colorado springs
    Well, I just ordered the Monoprice 15W amp from Amazon and it will be delivered to me on Sunday.

After taxes and shipping ordering it from Monoprice or Amazon was a few dollars difference and Amazon can get it to me on Sunday where as Monoprice would be sometime next week.

Jim

Attached Files:

2. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Hollah ! Let us know how it sounds. :)

3. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Welcome to the club!

4. jbrowning

jbrowning Squier-Nut

Jan 28, 2019
    colorado springs
    Where can I go to learn what the do's and dont's are for using a Tube Amp? I've never used one before in my life.

5. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Just plug it in, let it warm up, and play away. Adjust controls to your liking and enjoy. The tubes in the back will get hot so be careful and don't burn yourself.

6. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Nut

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    It will be packed with a do's and don'ts document. Short answer is to follow a couple of simple things, every time.

1. Let the amp warm up for a little while (a minute or so) before you use it. This lets the heater elements in the tubes come up to temp.
    2. Let the amp cool down for a little while before subjecting it to vibe and knocks (e.g., don't move it or kick it) after use. I always wait 10 minutes or so. This is because the tube filaments are most fragile when warm.
    3. Turn the volume all the way down before connecting a guitar cable.

Lastly, play the hell out of it. The speaker needs some exercise before it sounds great.

7. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
  8. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Tube amps are quite primitive by today's standards, and are quite rugged. There aren't many "don'ts". Don't put a running one on the edge of the bathtub while you're bathing is the main one.

I do recommend having at least a spare 12AX7 and a spare pair of EL84s. That way if a tube decides to quit on you while you're in the middle of something, you can get going fairly quickly. Tubes are a little like incandesdescent light bulbs that way.

9. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Congrats! I got mine about 2 months ago, and it quickly replaced my Boss Katana as my main amp... It's GREAT for clean Fender-y sounds, and overdrive (the tubes, of course) but it REALLY surprised me when I started pluggin gain pedals into it... My Joyo Ultimate Drive, and EVEN my old MetalZone sound GREAT through it!

Like @RoyalWe said, welcome to "The Mighty Mono" society, lol...

10. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

Dunno how the Mono amps are built, but a "don't" would be, don't turn it on if it's not connected to a speaker. If the speaker is hardwired, have at it. If the speaker needs to plug in the back, make sure it is. Have never turned on a tube amp without a speaker load, but, 'tis what I've heard.

11. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Rule number one-------Crank the volume control as far as it will go then remove the knob and throw it away..:):):):rolleyes:

12. jbrowning

jbrowning Squier-Nut

Jan 28, 2019
    colorado springs
    Well, where else am I going to practice at??? :D

Any idea of why the speaker would be disconnected?

13. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Looks great Jim. I hope it turns out to be a great little amp.

14. jbrowning

jbrowning Squier-Nut

Jan 28, 2019
    colorado springs
    Thanks, the amps I'm using now is a Mustang 3 at home and a Mustang 2 at work. They are good amps but not really what I'm wanting.

jefffam and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  15. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Best rule ever...

16. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

It won't be. He didn't know that the speaker is wired in without a plug/socket in this amp.

fuelish, jefffam and jbrowning like this.
  17. jbrowning

jbrowning Squier-Nut

Jan 28, 2019
    colorado springs
    Ok, I wasn't sure if I was suppose to unplug the speaker when I wasn't using it. :confused:

jefffam likes this.
  18. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

I might mention that some amps are shipped with the tubes packaged separately. If this is the case, be sure that you match the "key" pin to the receptacle slot correctly. Not a lot of force should be needed.

jefffam and jbrowning like this.
  19. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Good thoughts, ideas, recommendations and funnies nso far. To expand on what @SubSailer671 said, I personally wait until the amp is stone cold before moving. It takes a bit of planning and is sometimes not possible, but as he said, tube filaments are most fragile hot/warm. I had a late 50's Silvertone , with the original tubes or very old replacements. Never had a tube go bad.

I traded it to Ray Ybarra @Strato67 [an older member that used to be here] (mistake trading it away) and while he has flirted with selling it, the last I knew he was still using it. I do think he changed the tubes for a different sound, but not for tube failure.

Angry Possum and jbrowning like this.
  20. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

These amps arrive with the tubes installed, but 12AX7 tubes don't have a key, they have only 9 pins in a 10 pin pattern... one missing.

jbrowning and jefffam like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice