Trying to identify Strat from bad craigslist pic

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by squierjosh, Jan 23, 2015.

1. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2010
    MN
    I'm on vacation and can't get to see this Strat in person. Can anyone identify from this lousy picture? I've seen (and currently have) some older Affinitys with 22 frets, but I've never seen the maple fretboard with 22 frets.

[​IMG]

2. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Small headstock with nothing on the ball end that i can tell..maybe a vm?

Scratch that, most vm's are 21 fret and the maple get the 70's cbs head stock.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  3. 1935streetrod

1935streetrod Squier-holic

Feb 15, 2010
    michigan
    ...I notice it looks like the wider FB markers at the 12th fret...

4. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2010
    MN
    That's generally a Squier thing, correct? I'm not familiar with what it could mean though. I'm gonna try to see the guitar today and see what it's all about.

5. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    the early Vintage Modified strats had small headstocks, could be one of those...

the fact it has 22 frets throws me off, might have been some FSR special run...

6. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015
    That's a VM 70s strat. Big headstock, tinted maple neck. Just got one of craigslist myself for $150. It is a GREAT guitar.

7. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2010
    MN
    Would that have 22 frets though? I still haven't got a chance to go see it in person. That'll end the mystery pretty quickly. :)

8. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    No, they don't have 22 frets - and that pic looks like a small headstock not the large one...

9. Niteshooter

Niteshooter Squier-Meister

Sep 22, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Good catch on the wider 12th fret dot spacing. I recall that this could help identify MIJ and MIK necks. Also doesn't look like a truss rod adjustment in the head which would also indicate that generation. 3 ply pickguard, but logo looks more like it could be MIK. Bridge also looks old school but really tough to say from the low res pix.

That UFO to the left is interesting...

10. Niteshooter

Niteshooter Squier-Meister

Sep 22, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    How long before you can put us out of our misery? :p

11. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2010
    MN
    I might leave work early tomorrow and swing by the place. It's not exactly on my way home from work though.

12. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2010
    MN
    Well, I went to check it out. Looks like an old Affinity, but it doesn't say Affinity on the headstock. It has a different decal, black letters with gold trim, and the full "Stratocaster" after Squier, unlike my 97 Affinity, that just says STRAT. I ended up buying it, mostly because I wanted a maple neck for my next project. The body is pretty beat up, but feels like a full size body, like my 96 and 97 NC Strats I recently picked up. Yes, those are all black strings. No, I don't know why.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2010
    MN
  14. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    A standard before they devided up the squier into differnt series?

15. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2010
    MN
  16. 1935streetrod

1935streetrod Squier-holic

Feb 15, 2010
    michigan
    ...Definitely has all the makings of the older Affinity's including the pronounced ball end of the headstock ... only with a much nicer logo. I bet if you look under the hood it has a swimming pool route...

17. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Take off the trem cover on the back and see if it has layers of plywood or if it's solid wood. I'm thinking it's solid and that's an older Affinity with full sized body.

18. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2010
    MN
    It's not plywood. I'm just confused why the logo is so different from the other CY98 Strat I linked to. Same year, same factory, same serial number prefix.