Truss rod (no)problems?

Discussion in 'Squier Vintage Modified models' started by ManKonis, Aug 11, 2017.

1. ManKonis

ManKonis Squier Talker

Apr 25, 2017
    London
    Helol everyone.

I am trying to adjust the truss rod on my Jaguar vm hh.

I need an up-bow. I was turning counter clock-wise until the bolt got completely loose.

What I have now is very very stright neck. I can't go any further because it just simply doesn't go...

This is guitar is used barely and it's a first adjustment for her.

So my question what's the problem? Is it broken?

Thank you very much.

theflow likes this.
  2. Garyth

Garyth Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2013
    Florida
    not broken unless it won't tighten the other way. Completely loose and flat .. try heavier gauge strings.

I'm assuming single action truss, not double.

theflow and ManKonis like this.
  3. ManKonis

ManKonis Squier Talker

Apr 25, 2017
    London
  4. ManKonis

ManKonis Squier Talker

Apr 25, 2017
    London
    Yes it's single.

And here you can see its fully loosened.

theflow likes this.
  5. Garyth

Garyth Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2013
    Florida
    heavier gauge strings is the only easy answer that I know. I don't have a jag so I don't know how that affects it's trem and playability.

The other way is to remove the neck, use clamps to bow it the direction that you need and apply heat ... which can take a while. I've clamped necks for weeks at a time to fix excessive up-bow (can't tighten the truss enough). Depends on the neck how permanent the fix is.

6. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Meister

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I am stuck at "Up-Bow", someone tell me what an "Up-Bow" is ...ta

theflow likes this.
  7. Garyth

Garyth Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2013
    Florida
    bow.JPG

remove upbow/relief by tightening the truss rod, add by loosening.

problems arise when you run out of adjustment either way.

8. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Meister

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    whatever happened to convex and concave when describing Bow's?.

theflow and so1om like this.
  9. Garyth

Garyth Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2013
    Florida
    don't ask me, I've used them all. I just went along with the original description. you can find descriptions and pictures both ways.

theflow likes this.
  10. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Are you actually measuring relief when strung up to pitch or just guessing?

theflow likes this.
  11. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Meister

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    surely if he runs out of adjustment then he needs to remove the truss nut and add a washer or two so that he can up bow his down bow or downbow his upbow.. :D

theflow and LutherBurger like this.
  12. Garyth

Garyth Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2013
    Florida
    that'll work for too concave ( :) )but if the nut is all the way loose and it still too convex or flat then you need more string tension, clamp and bend the neck, or get a new neck.

I suppose, in rare cases, the rod may be stuck/glued in the neck. I haven't run across that. If you can adjust tighter and get less relief then if must be working, imo.

theflow likes this.
  13. Garyth

Garyth Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2013
    Florida
    forgot to add, I agree with this. I was assuming he was measuring under tension ... one mustn't assume.

also, if flat under tension, adjusting the other action points for no buzz may still be an option.

theflow likes this.
  14. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Dude? This kinda crap drives me b*tsh*t crazy.

I'm a mechanical engineer at a real company doing real business with real customers like Samsung, intel... We make machines that can inspect silicon wafers -they are 2mm thick, 300 diameter. They can be warped, they can be convex or concave.

We have a subcontractor, a sizeable and international company, calling them "smiley" and "frowny". In presentations and correspondence. WHAT??

15. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    seminole Oklahoma
    I have a strat that will only go flat with a completely loosened truss rod but there's no buzz so I just play it. It was one that a kid had for years setting in the corner leaned up against the wall but never touched it. The strings were really rusty when I got it. I put 11s on it for a couple months to see if it would bow back but that didn't work so I've got 10s on it now hoping I see some bow come back in it but if it don't I'm not worried because it plays good.

theflow and 5ofeight like this.
  16. Garyth

Garyth Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2013
    Florida
    :confused:

ok, I've never done that ... that's just ... wrong ...

Davis Sharp, theflow and 5ofeight like this.
  17. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Meister

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    so1om, man you have just given me the best Friday night laugh since my wife said 20 years ago that she was leaving, it was a laugh well worth waiting for... :D

18. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I am happy to help. :D

My post is not a commentary on the OP looking for help with their truss rod adjustment. This is an informal setting, everyone learns, everyone helps, everyone teaches. But in a business setting, I mean.. COME ON!!!!

rorygman and 5ofeight like this.
  19. antiquityscion

antiquityscion Squier-Meister

Aug 27, 2012
    phoenix,az
    I hope the OP doesn't mind me posting in this thread, but I have a similar issue with a truss rod. This info was relayed to me by the guitar tech who worked on it (which I no longer can contact).

The truss rod works one way, but only loosens the other way (Neck Squier Strat VM). when turned clockwise it tightens and gives backbow, but the guitar needs relief, and when you turn counter clockwise, it loosens, but does not bite to give relief. It just continues to loosen. Lubricant will not help.

One other issue is that the neck pocket on the body was a sloppy job (body=Squier Strat SE), and he had to shim the upper part of the neck pocket, because the neck sat too far forward. Is there a chance the shim is interfering with the truss?

Given that, does it sound like the truss is broken or stripped? If so, what is the fix? Replacement? I have seen tools online that supposedly fix this, but cost over $200 (I think the intended market is luthiers). Does anyone know of tools that are more affordable that can fix this, if possible?

thanks!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  20. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    On a single action truss rod the strings are supposed to provide the relief when tuned to pitch.. the truss rod is only able to remove relief when tightend.. if the guitar has no relief or even a backbow when tuned to pitch and the truss is loose,, you would need to shim the neck or raise the bridge to get the proper action.. heavier strings may add some relief also..