Tricks of the trade

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by DrBeGood, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    If I'm reading your question correctly, I use a popsicle stick to hold a wire to the pot. while soldering ...Or any wood piece..

Dave M, mb doug, VealCutlet and 3 others like this.
  2. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Like that one a lot, gonna try it on my Special! Thanks.

3. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    If you mean that soldering a round braid to a flat surface is difficult, you are completely right. What I do with the braid on coax cables is to unravel it, then twist the unravelled strands together into a little "tail". Then, tin the tail with solder. Then solder the tail onto the case. I've done this hundreds of times with RF connections in homemade radio equipment.

Most difficulties with soldering wires are improved if you tin the wire and THEN solder it onto something.

SubSailer671, Dave M, glmino and 13 others like this.
  4. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I'll edit my message to use a flat head bolt. If you feel a lot of resistance while screwing down, then look for the widest head on a screw that will fit the bushing hole.

5. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Burnin some Nitro...
    E and G, "E"cellent "G"round :D

6. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

I do almost exactly the same thing. I cut the braid up the wire a bit then pop the wire out. Then I twist the braid into a strand, tin it and solder it.

mb doug, dbrian66, DrBeGood and 2 others like this.
  7. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-Nut

Jun 16, 2016
    NY
    Awesome post! I read the first one and thought how great it is when one thread inspires another ;)

8. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    Burnin some Nitro...
    Just finished this up a few minutes ago and by using a guitar string for the ground its really looks a lot cleaner and less clutter.
    IMG_0422.JPG

glmino, JurnyWannaBe, corn and 10 others like this.
  9. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Never heard of this, thanks. It oughtta change the tone. 9s or 10s? ;)

10. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-holic

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    Tin the braid like the Viking said. I also sand a small spot on the pot and put a small dab of solder then I just touch the braid to the dab and solder.

2.a.white.pg2.jpg

11. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  12. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Best neck pocket shim, side to side, up or down, Birch Veneer edging tape is easy to use, works perfect, and is near invisible. This sh-- is like duct tape for guitar necks. Even KenMo could use it. 815EGXP+HfL._SY741_.jpg

Guber, Rat cam 68, corn and 9 others like this.
  13. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    Burnin some Nitro...
    ^^ Great idea, never thought of that.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  14. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I actually avoid "vintage" braided pups for this reason. Give me a ground and hot wire any day!

15. Biddlin

Biddlin Squier-Meister

Apr 15, 2019
    SACRAMENTO. Ca usas
    Thanks for sharing this (and a good version of it, too.) I will just add that setup is like being fitted for a suit of clothes and if you can do it while you are holding the guitar as you will be playing it, it will be a better fit.

16. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    I haven't tried this, but this appears to be a similar approach to your solution.

17. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Elsewhere
    One “trick” I like is, especially for new instruments, with a bolt-on neck, the neck heel might not making full contact with the body. While the instrument is strung, and supporting the neck joint with your hand, loosen the neck bolts by a quarter turn. Sometimes I’ve seen a small shift...and a couple times a bigger pop as the tension of the strings pull the neck into the body. The basic idea is that the bolts hold the neck by pressing front to back, not nut to bridge. While the impact can be minor, it can improve neck stability, resonance, and potentially get scale length to be more precise (one should measure, of course.) If scale length is correct to begin with, and there is a gap, then your looking at a little more work to create a spacer of some kind.

18. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Thanks.
    Several vidéos on that approach, but you need all that stuff, you can scratch the finish doing it that way and you don't see what you're doing. If, like Conghaille said, my small bolt method doesn't work, then maybe use this one.

19. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Thanks for this tip. Do you take a heat gun or hair dryer to it? It doesn't seem like an iron will fit the pocket easily.

Also, and you knew this was coming, is birch a better tone veneer than maple or cherry? :)

20. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Very nice, clean job. What temp or wattage soldering iron do you use?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice