Tremolo blocks

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by DUSTER, May 18, 2017.

1. DUSTER

DUSTER Squier-Meister

May 2, 2014
    Greensburg, Pa.
    I want to swap out for a better one (possibly brass) in my Standard Strat but the more I learn, the more confused I am.

2. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    BD uses some nice ones from England - you tell the guy what guitar you have and he hooks you up with the right block, there are others available - lesser quality but in USA ? Guitar Fetish ? Someone knows on here ! I know what you mean - trying to understand which one is which is a little crazy !

radiotech and DUSTER like this.
  3. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Most Squiers with the original block are going to use the 10.5mm import string spacing. Note the right-most hole in these, which is where the whammy bar screws in. If you look at the center Import one, the whammy bar hole is about in the middle of the block, evenly between the 6 string holes and the 3 mounting screw holes. If that matches your existing block, it is what you need. If you have a Mexico bridge assembly, possibly from a prior upgrade, it has the whammy bar hole almost in line with the 3 mounting screw holes.

GFStremblocks.jpg

Here is the GFS (Guitar Fetish Sales) link if you want to look into one further, you can get steel or brass.
    http://www.guitarfetish.com/Steel-and-Brass-Tremolo-Upgrade-Blocks_c_216.html

4. DUSTER

DUSTER Squier-Meister

May 2, 2014
    Greensburg, Pa.
    I'm guessing that the 11.3 or 10.5 are measured center to center on the holes. I notice that some aren't giving any measurements or hole position info, they're just listing what it SHOULD fit. Another question I have is.......that shouldn't matter if I buy the assembly with the bridge and saddles, correct?

Caddy and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  5. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Yes, 10.5mm is string spacing for imports. 10.5 x 5 = 52.5, which is 2.07" after dividing by 25.4. That is what is commonly referred to as 2 1/16" spacing.

If you buy the assembly, then of course everything matches, but often a bigger block will require some wood removal within the trem cavity. Here you can see what I had to do to get adequate room for the trem to swing back when depressing the bar.

IMG_20161022_165209658.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Hammer 4, DUSTER and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  6. Bailey1214

Bailey1214 Squier-Meister

Jan 24, 2017
    Quezon City
    Not really sure but I think in the vintage 6 screw trem the mounting screws align with the string spacing so it has to match what string spacing your guitar has.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  7. DUSTER

DUSTER Squier-Meister

May 2, 2014
    Greensburg, Pa.
    Another issue into my mix is that I have a two point bridge plate and the assembly (block and plate) is a good chunk of change. I'm going to just measure to figure out what block I need and go from there.

8. DUSTER

DUSTER Squier-Meister

May 2, 2014
    Greensburg, Pa.
    Well, I ordered the correct block but it's off just a bit for the trem arm. I'll just take a file to it. Brass bridge.jpg

Kenneth Mountain and Strato67 like this.
  9. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    That looks like the difference in the MIM block and the import block from GFS. The import block. like our Squires, are centered and the MIM one is slightly toward the back of the bridge.

10. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

It looks like you got a MIM block, since the whammy bar hole lines up with the 3 mounting screw holes. But the block hole does not quite center on the the bridge plate hole. It may be that the 2-point bridge plates are slightly different from the 6-point bridge plates in regard to the location of the hole for the bar. I'm sure filing the hole out will do the trick, but you shouldn't have to.

11. DUSTER

DUSTER Squier-Meister

May 2, 2014
    Greensburg, Pa.
    Well, you guys are correct.....I ordered the wrong one. By this picture you can see how I got it wrong. It (trem arm hole) appears to sit off to the side a bit more than it does. I'll just keep it.....may need it in the future......I ordered the other. Until the correct one comes I'll use this one.......BIG difference in the sound. old trem block.jpg

Kenneth Mountain and Caddy like this.
  12. mikesr1963

mikesr1963 Squier-Meister

May 6, 2016
    Virginia
    Which block did you order?

13. DUSTER

DUSTER Squier-Meister

May 2, 2014
    Greensburg, Pa.
    I just can't win...... This is the newest one Trem block #2.jpg

14. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Easiest way is to just order the complete trem assembly, either GFS one for import or Fender MIM.

15. mikesr1963

mikesr1963 Squier-Meister

May 6, 2016
    Virginia
    Where did you get this block from?

16. Strato67

Strato67 Squier-holic

Jun 17, 2013
    Texas
    Damn sorry man...I usually just get a whole trem..

17. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    It's a two point trem.

Kenneth Mountain and Caddy like this.
  18. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Drill out the trem plate to open the hole for the trem arm. I've been through this with GFS blocks a few times, sometimes they fit, sometimes no. I think the original plate holes are 3/16", I've drilled up to 3/8" to make it work.

19. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Strato67 likes this.
  20. Strato67

Strato67 Squier-holic

Jun 17, 2013
    Texas
    Check Ebay to ..I remember seeing some full size blocks two point trems for like 20 bucks.