Traffic lights

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by JurnyWannaBe, Jul 11, 2019.

1. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-Meister

Feb 14, 2019
    This is something that grinds on me BIGLY and just wanted to gripe about it. Stop and go driving is lousy for a vehicle’s mileage. Today on the way home from work I, along with at least 300 other cars had to come to a complete stop for a red light. A car on a side street tripped the sensor in the pavement and caused the light to change. C’mon...there’s GOTTA be a better solution. All y’all traffic engineers put them thinking hats on. There’s tons of gas wasted every day like that. I’ll get down off my soapbox now and I appreciate your time :)

SquierTap likes this.
  2. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    That is just poor light management on the engineers part. Typically during peak times the lights are on timers to keep traffic flowing with the sensors disabled till a certain time. Or for less traveled cross streets they are low priority over the timer on the main road. If a small cross street will trip immediately for only one car during peak time that is rediculous and worth a letter to the city engineers office to have a look at.

Caddy, RoyalWe and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  3. JurnyWannaBe

Feb 14, 2019
    Exactly! That’s why it’s grinding on me. The road I’m talking about is 6 lanes and goes by the main entrance to one of the largest military bases in the US o_O

Bassman96 likes this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Sorry, let me finish this Facebook comment before I look up and realize the light is green and traffic is moving.

fattboyzz, daan and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  5. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I'm bumper to bumper traffic on the Bruckner. Without traffic, it's exactly 5 minutes on the Bruckner ... but in morning rush hour traffic, it's normally closer to 30 minutes. It's worse with a manual transmission .... clutch, brake, clutch, brake, clutch, brake ... my legs are often killing me by the time I get to school.

RoyalWe and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  6. JurnyWannaBe

Feb 14, 2019
    B96A3F62-88D2-44A3-AA37-D187ABAEC433.jpeg

Bassman96 likes this.
  7. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    I convinced the Fayetteville, NC PD and a judge that my motorcycle, with me on it, would not trigger the pressure plate the vast majority of the time. In other words I got a ticket making a left turn on a red light at 5:15 AM. I had gotten away with it at that intersection dozens of times previously, it was a matter of time.

Thankfully the judge understood and dismissed the ticket.

mb doug and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  8. FhPudd

FhPudd Squier-Meister

Nov 28, 2012
    Pa.
    I think that’s one reason they’re building these round abouts everywhere. They scare me though, I think I prefer a red light.

Davis Sharp and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  9. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    The traffic lights they turn blue tomorrow
    And shine their emptiness down on my bed

:cool:

10. TomL

TomL Squier-holic

We have plenty traffic lights over here, and it does depend, because a lot of times traffic lights are the best option. But sometimes for some junctions, roundabouts work better at controlling traffic whilst also keeping it flowing better.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  11. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    In my area, they've been installing traffic circles/roundabouts in new housing developments instead of 4-way stops. It works in that situation, but it might not on a busier, multi-lane road with higher speed limits.

"Call it morning driving through the sound and In and out the valley."

FhPudd, JurnyWannaBe and eaglesgift like this.
  12. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Nut

Apr 18, 2014
    ———-
    Six lane-highways and roundabouts....not a good mix!

Caddy, JurnyWannaBe and Davis Sharp like this.
  13. John Slinger

John Slinger Squier-Meister

Apr 26, 2019
    Greenville
    When I was a kid in the 60's I used to think NY traffic was bad but after a visit to Atlanta last week I could not even believe it.
    "Country Living is the Life for Me"

Caddy likes this.
  14. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    "I think that’s one reason they’re building these round abouts everywhere. They scare me though, I think I prefer a red light."

I live in Carmel IN which is literally the roundabout capital of the US (look it up). I love roundabouts and we're at about 110 of them at the moment.

FhPudd, drewcp and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  15. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    They just installed this monster on the main intersection from the 4 lane SR20 coming from Mount Vernon to the 2 lane SR20 going to my Island. It is the only way on or off the island in a car besides a Ferry so it is busy! I love it way more than the light that was there. No more 3 light cycle waits to turn towards Whidbey and the speed limit is still 50 as you approach. Traffic remains in constant motion so less congestion. Roundabouts aren't hard... Just drive in your lane till you find your exit and exit.

2018-1004-sharpes-corner.jpg

They have since installed 2 more heading north on Whidbey with another being built as we speak.

FhPudd, JurnyWannaBe and drewcp like this.
  16. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Meister

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    In my hometown they took out a perfectly good traffic circle (two lanes, don't need to enter the circle at all to turn 90 degrees right) and put in a one-lane roundabout (have to wait for anyone currently in the circle to go by before entering.)

The town is fairly small but it's right on the major highway so instead of allowing free flowing traffic, it impedes traffic instead.

JurnyWannaBe and Bassman96 like this.
  17. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Well that sounds like someone on the city council had a friend or family in construction that needed a job. No other way that makes sense lol.

mofojar, drewcp and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  18. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
  19. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Ah, beat me to it!! That was my first thought reading the title lol

JurnyWannaBe and IronSchef like this.
  20. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    We have two traffic lights in our town so its simple just to avoid the lights all together.

FhPudd and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice