Tom delonge strat sound

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by hurley_125, Feb 13, 2018.

1. hurley_125

hurley_125 New Member

Feb 13, 2018
    los angeles
    I´m from Chile and i want to buy a Tom Delonge strat but i wanted to know why it sounds so special? it has a unique sound but i don t know why. I think its alder body but i dont know whhat kind of squier can be... a satndard squier?
    thanks

2. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Best I can find its a regular agathis body (which is a form of mahogany), but I think that super hot Duncan Invader humbucker explains a lot of why it sounds like it does.

squierbilly and grizmit like this.
  3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier Talker

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    I don't know about the availability in Chile but you can build one rather easily in the US using a Squier Standard Strat as a base. On eBay, you can buy a single humbucker pickguard and a Invader like pickup for less than $50. A little wiring up, block the trem and you'll have it, except for the color.

The guitar tone is primarily from the Invader pickup and it being a single pickup guitar. Of course, you can get a similar tone by using a any higher output humbucker into a amp and effects setup like he uses.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  4. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    I'd say placement of the humbucker and only a volume knob and hard tail bridge.. (Adding a tone pot adds resistance which changes volume and tone)

5. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Good point, I'd forgotten that was a volume only guitar.

squierbilly likes this.
  6. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    I almost splurged for one (I like the single invader concept) but would prefer a trem style and kinda like having a tone knob so I thought I might build my own version.. Not only that but the volume knob is in sort of an odd spot.. I guess you really need to be a fan of tom delonge to want one.. (or collector of one off's)..

7. Lonn

Lonn Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Love the guitar, hate that humbucker in the Fender model. Probably the only SD pickup I never liked.

8. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    It's the pickup. My friend has one and it's the pickup IMO.

9. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Is there much difference between the actual Invader and the "Duncan Designed" variant in the Squier, or have you not tried the Squier yet?

Eddie likes this.
  10. Lonn

Lonn Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    I've had multiples of both. The Squier version is livable IMO, I just find the genuine Invader incredibly rough sounding. Nothing wrong with that if it's what you're looking for.

Ace38 and Eddie like this.
  11. Eddie

Eddie Squier-holic

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    What about the Chinese "Invader" or a Dragonfire Invader?

Are they close to snuff?

12. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Not that you need more gear...lol..but...

squierbilly and Eddie like this.
  13. Eddie

Eddie Squier-holic

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I'm gonna need to listen to this when class gets out.

But you're right. I'm OD overflowing. I'm gonna have to kick my kids out of the upstairs room so I can use it as a second mancave to store guitars. I want a faux stage area where I can pretend to be a rock star. :)

wickedtools, fadetoz and Ace38 like this.
  14. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    You mean his tone isn’t from using an Allen wrench to pick with?

:eek:

:p

wickedtools likes this.
  15. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Shame on me... mixing him with Tom Morello....

I meant to say: You mean his tone isn’t from Extra-Terrestrials?!

:eek:

:p

wickedtools likes this.
  16. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    Eddie likes this.
  17. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Used Invaders used to be 40-50 bucks, not unreasonable. I don't have one but will someday. I have the Duncan Performer in the bridge of two different Stats (one a Bullet Special) and it is pretty good with a big amp behind it. Would like to get a real Invader and see the difference first hand.

Problem is....... I have boxes full of pick ups I had "planned" to do something with :) easy to hit that buy it now button or get sucked into auctions......... isn't it Eddie? :D

And of course effects etc. make a big difference and how well a given pup will respond with them. I have found that a pickup that does not cut it straight into the amp likely won't be great or as good no matter what you do :)

Ace38 likes this.