To Tele, or not to Tele...

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by JurnyWannaBe, Jul 8, 2019.

1. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Meister

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    There is some really nice picking in the video too, I watched the whole thing! Great job MrYeats!

2. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Everybody needs a Tele. They are good for any style. You'll see this when you play the tunes you play on your other guitars..... Tele adds a new dimension to what you're already doing. You can certainly set them up for twang and spank, but you can set them up to play the way you want them to play. Mr. Yeats is getting you off to a great start. This is a win-win for you and really for mankind.

Amelia, mb doug, corn and 2 others like this.
  3. Tele-kitty

Tele-kitty Squier-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Florida
    The answer to Tele or No Tele? Is always Yes!!! plus 5 more :D

4. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier-Meister

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    You could say that again! I metal'd on mine!

It has so much distinct character! The imperfect intonation of its original uncompensated 3-barrel bridge gives it its unique sound and all...

It's such a nice platform for mods experiments too because you can actually play it with its guts out held by alligator clips!

mb doug, Davis Sharp, Eddie and 3 others like this.
  5. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Teles are awesome, even in their most basic and stock condition. If you ever get the opportunity to play one of the originals from the 50s and 60s..... it makes you understand even more. The three saddle bridges..... originally they were just straight brass stock, each one having two height adjustment screws. Those saddles with the original magnetic steel ash tray plate and a good bridge pickup is what that tone and sustain is all about. Putting in three compensated Joe Barden style saddles (everbody makes these now) can get your intonation pretty damn near perfect, too.

But just look at all the different Tele players out there..... and how different they all sound....but you know that is some kind of a Tele. John 5, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Brad Paisley, James Burton, Robbie Robertson, Red Volkaert, Cornell Dupree, Bruce Springsteen, Roy Buchanan, Keith Urban, Merle Haggard, John Hiatt.... the list goes on but each one of these players..... they are so different, still you know it's their Tele.

6. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    I'm a Strat guy for ever. But I have one Tele, a CV BSB that I play with once in a while. It's in G tuning for some Stones tunes.

7. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Telecasters. Not just for Country anymore..... but hey, if I could play like Don Rich....

mb doug and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  8. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    So is the Telecaster the most versatile guitar ever??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wonkenstein, mb doug and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  9. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I agree. The Tele's make very nice metal machines.

mb doug and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  10. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    You can get a nice bullet for $129

John Slinger, Eddie, mb doug and 2 others like this.
  11. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I was a Strat guy when it came to Fenders. Teles were for chicken pickin' and cowboy chords. I had no use for them.

Then I saw this VM Tele Custom
    [​IMG]
    It's black with maple, which is the mostest beautifullest of all combinations. But it's a Tele.
    Wait, maybe not. It has a humbucker and a 2V/2T configuration. So it's not really a Tele.
    [Buy]

After a year. I saw an Affinity on the GC Used site.
    [​IMG]
    Hmm. I wonder how it compares to the VM. It still had the plastic on the pickguard and, at $130 (with case), I could afford to try it out. I could always sell it and the case separately and at least break even.
    [Buy]

Then I saw a Harley Benton.
    [​IMG]
    The color is amazing, the reviews are good, and it was ~$215 shipped. But it's a Tele.
    Wait, maybe not. It's a semi-hollow with P90s. That's not a real Tele.
    [Buy]

And that's how, being a Strat guy, I ended up with three Teles.

daan, Best1989, Eddie and 4 others like this.
  12. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Meister

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Dad has this one:
    [​IMG]

He bought it because it was identical to a Mann copy of a Telecaster Deluxe that he bought in the 70's. In those days Mann guitars were made at Fuji-Gen Gakki so I believe him when he says it was awesome, knowing the pedigree of that legendary guitar factory.

Edit: I think he didn't sell it but rather took it apart for some reason. He still has the bridge plate and the neckplate and a few other odds and sods from the Mann. I was thinking about his Gibson L6-S that he has regretted selling my entire life.

JurnyWannaBe, Davis Sharp and drewcp like this.
  13. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    How does the Tele Bullet compare the Affy? Is there much difference? Used Affy's are going for quite a bit.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  14. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Affinity's are great and they are a little better quality IMO. But the narrow nut on them makes them unplayable for me. Chords are difficult for me on them.
    If they are comfortable for you they are an awesome guitar. The Bullet necks are full width and I really like them allot. I had to adjust the pickups to the sweet spot but once I did they sounded awesome.

15. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    It's true about the thinner Affy necks. I had to adapt.

The Bullet necks are wider? Hmmm.... maybe time for me to take a look. :)

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  16. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Yeah Bullet Tele nuts are 42mm Affinity Telecasters are 40.6mm

Eddie and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  17. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    I use at least one on every gig. Sometimes it's two Teles or a Strat and a Tele. I really like them and if you've got your Tele set up just the way you like it, there isn't much you can't do. I vote yes.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  18. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Hey how's the Champ doing?

drewcp likes this.
  19. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Still dead . I have a tech that is getting it next week. Will be working soon.

drewcp likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice