Tips/Thoughts About My Current Practice Technique

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by wyxe, Feb 7, 2018.

1. wyxe

wyxe Squier Talker

Feb 2, 2018
    Ohio
    I'm probably within my first 2-5 months of practice, but I'm out of practice because I got my guitar on my birthday 2 years ago, so those months are scattered across 2 years. Anyways, I've picked the guitar back up consistently recently and I'm really into it this time. I looked up a bunch of stuff on Youtube, and came across The-Art-Of-Guitar, and I'm enjoying what I'm learning from him. In particular, I've been focusing on his Spider Routine thing and the tips he gives in the "Double Your Finger Strength" video. Are these good for constant practice? Are there things I could be doing better, or instead?

I've been doing this instead of tabs and songs for the past few days. I'm doing all of this on my acoustic while my electric guitar is in pieces, btw.

2. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-Nut

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    Unless I am pursuing something very specific in my learning, I think the "salad bar" approach is just fine. I think it's a good way to explore and get even more inspired to play and learn.

I love YouTube for this...pick up a song here, some exercises there. If I'm disciplined enough to really practice, rather than simply play songs and "noodle", all the better.

Learning takes many forms. When I was starting in the 70's all I had access to were a few chord books my big brother had. I'm grateful there are so many ways to learn now. So long as I don't get overwhelmed, it's all good by me!

wyxe likes this.
  3. MrSinister

MrSinister Squier-Meister

Sep 24, 2017
    Earth
    As long as you're playing and enjoying it, thats all that really matters. Like everything else in life, you get out of it what you put into it.

wyxe likes this.