Thunderstorm....

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Dr Improbable, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Every morning I plug in and play quietly, but the crash of thunder and lightning has made me decide to play "unplugged" this A.M.

So folks, how's everything going?

2. Matt Shevell

Matt Shevell Squier-Nut

Feb 5, 2018
    New York
    Yeah, it can get scary
    I think we got out ok over here (NYC)

3. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Weather man on yesterday's tellybox was giving out "thunder and lightning storm" to hit here last night and today, not sure what happened to it cos it's a glorious day here in Bonny Scotland.

4. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    We had thunder and lightning last night here on Long Island. It's raining so far today but I hope it clears up before the outdoor music festival starts this afternoon in Patchogue. My daughter is going, and a guy from work is playing at 3 today.

5. Dr Improbable

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    It finally stopped, and I plugged in.

Is it weird that I get up 2 hours before I have to be at work so I can get some private practice?

mb doug, CVSteve, SquierTap and 2 others like this.
  6. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-Nut

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    We had one too yesterday after work. I was going to plug in but... nah.

mb doug and Dr Improbable like this.
  7. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

I built one of these for late night practicing as everyone else in the house complained about the "noise"(!).
    They run off of a 9V battery and if you wire in a stack of AAs for 9 volts, the batterys last forever: or you could wire in a solar panel and a cheap voltage bucker(as low as 2$) and run it that way.

Attached Files:

mb doug, drewcp and Dr Improbable like this.
  8. Dr Improbable

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    The thing I love about summer: Everyone is upstairs with fans going, so i can just plug into my regular amp (on "1 watt" setting) and have fun.

I haven't found a mini amp I like yet. They all sound like amplified toasters to me.

mb doug, Afrika61 and drewcp like this.
  9. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Battery powered amp ? Wireless and your cheapest amp, maybe ....

drewcp likes this.
  10. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Started pouring as I left for work. I should have put out the extension downspout for all the water so i'm a little concerned about the house.

Powerline was down on the way to work, made me 10 minutes late looping though side streets and horrible drivers.

Traffic light out near work -criss cross intersection north/south and east/west -all have 3 lanes and a turn lane and a lot of shipping trucks. Not a police officer in sight to get things moving. 15 more minutes late for work.

Dr Improbable and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  11. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I used to work at this restaurant and the chef would bring his Strat and amp down and we'd take turns jamming in the dining room. We would deliberately get to work super early so that we could play for an hour or so before having to get to work. It was one of those amps that had backing tracks built into it (Fender G-DEC) so it was pretty fun to jam on.

12. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I just recently picked up a HoneyTone and it smokes my Fender Mini '57 Twin. If you haven't already tried a Danelectro, I would strongly encourage it.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  13. JoeInMichigan

JoeInMichigan Squier-Meister

Jun 10, 2018
    Michigan
    Im hoping it misses us here in Detroit,had 3 brownouts in last week,had pop up thunderstorms as well,supposed to be hotter than Hades next 3 days and we got an outdoor wedding here Saturday,hope everyone stays cool and dry an electrified( not them but their dwellings lol)

14. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

In the case of the Cricket, it's more for the convenience than anything else. I have a home made Champ 5F1 that I really like and as I don't play professionally, the Champ is all I really need. I AM however also in the middle of one of these:
    olc_tubecricket.jpg
    I heard an Epi piped through one of these and I have to admit that there's a big difference between this and its Noisy Cricket forebarer. It uses a 12AU7 which is decent enough(if you get something like a Mallard, etc: the Russian and Chinese 12AU7s sound like tin foil crinkling to me when used in this application) and you can power it with any 12V wall wart of at least 1 amp: no lethal voltages involved. I'll likely be posting a little write up when I'm finished building it and give it a shake down.

mb doug likes this.
  15. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Burnin some Nitro...
    Our thunder storms hit in the evening and usually enjoyable to watch them but the last couple we've had were quite violent.

mb doug likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice