Thoughts on Jazzmasters?

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by dbrian66, Jan 1, 2018.

1. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    @CVSteve congratulations on the new guitar.

So.. I am a traditionalist in that when I think of a Jazzmaster or Jaguar, I think in the form that they were first offered. I could give up on the mute or the trem lok, some of the details on the pickup output. But what was on it when they were first created? That's what I think in my mind.

For a long time I would say "well.. it's not really a jazzmaster." but I have since softened. Because what else will they call it? Let's say they call it a Lynx. The first thing someone will say "well it looks like a Jazzmaster without a trem."

So I've changed up to Jazzmaster and Jaguar as being family names -much like we all have for the Telecaster and Stratocaster for years!!! No one thinks twice about a Stratocaster SSS, HSS, HH, etc.. but shouldn't a Stratocaster ONLY be an SSS??

We all know there are key features that make a Fender/Squier a Fender/Squier, same with Gibson/Epiphone.. Once one or the other steps out of that realm (the 70s Starcaster to challenge the 335) people get on about that hang up.

I found it better to stop looking at names and just looking at the features. It keeps my sanity in check.

CVSteve, Pat V. and dbrian66 like this.
  2. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier Talker

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    Thanks! And I agree with all the above. More variations means more to like, collect and talk about. Also, as I said peviously, not everyone cares for a tremolo. But some do, that’s why they make both.

dbrian66 likes this.
  3. Big George

Big George Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    I hit an oddity today, playing my new VMJM through a Boss 50 and no matter what I did I just couldn't get that old "surf" sound I remembered from eons ago. Tried everything I could think of and then things I couldn't think of, and that old sound just wasn't there. I was disappointed and then, just for giggles, pulled out a 20 year old little bedroom Fender Frontman reverb amp, plugged in, turned it on and just like that, that old surf sound was spot on! Played a while and loved it. Then, replugged into the Boss 50 and....nope. It's just not there. Back to the old Frontman, and there it was, plain as day. I could say I'm disappointed with the Boss 50 but it plays my stratocaster and Washburn acoustic like dream. Guess I need to be a two amp man.