Thoughts on Jazzmasters?

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by dbrian66, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Well, for one thing it doesn't have normal Jazzmaster pickups. Normal Jazzmaster pickups are part what makes them what they are, Jazzmasters. Changing the bridge, trem, or pickups and they are still offsets, but no longer Jazzmasters.

2. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Oh, come on! That's like saying that putting on some beads and a pair of bell bottoms doesn't really make it the sixties!

-nod

Caddy, Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  3. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-Meister

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    jazzblaster for the win then ;)

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  4. kjohns339

kjohns339 Squier Talker

Jun 17, 2010
    FL
    I’ve owned both types of VM Jazzmaster, the traditional style and maple neck one.
    I currently own a Sunburst VM like the one the OP is looking at and an Affinity HH.
    To be honest I think both VMs are great guitars that give you the Jazzmaster sound.
    It just comes down to personal opinion and feel.
    I like the uniqueness of the concentric pots and maple neck.
    Although the danelectro style bridge is less than ideal it seems more stable, feels more comfortable, and provides more sustain than the traditional Jazzmaster bridge.
    Also the simplified controls are nice although the concentric pots make the selector switch redundant.
    I do think the maple neck VMs will be collectible.

5. Darkmassuniverse

Darkmassuniverse Squier Talker

Dec 29, 2017
    South Florida
    Love jazzmastrz but I fell in love with the HH Classic Player Jaguar special because of the pickups (hard to find an HH Jazzmaster)

6. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier Talker

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas

If you don’t buy it, I might. Let us know.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  7. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-Nut

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I emailed the guy and he has not gotten back to me. So idk what is going to happen.

8. Jmv668

Jmv668 Squier-Meister

Feb 21, 2017
    Chile
    Easy no trem bar=no jazzmaster
    Buy the real thing ;)

Caddy and dbrian66 like this.
  9. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    If you like the guitar, buy it. For once a reasonably priced Jazzmaster. Who gives flip if it is a 'proper' Jazzmaster. To me they just got rid of the bad parts of the Jazzmaster and kept the good, but that's just my opinion. That particular model is the only one that I would even consider buying, no POS tremolo/bridge system, no excess switches, just pickups and a more stable bridge.

In the end, it's what you want to play, not what traditionalists think. A name is just a name.

Go to your closest GC and play both styles. Then you will know which you like the best. In the end, what you want and like is all that matters.

dbrian66 likes this.
  10. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier Talker

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    Not everyone cares for a tremolo...

kjohns339, jefffam and dbrian66 like this.
  11. deathgrip

deathgrip Squier Talker

Dec 28, 2017
    florida

Did you decide?

There's one down here in Fla. It's a sunburst with glossy maple neck in new condition. I got the Squier '51 VM made in '16. If the first two numbers on the JM are any indication as two the year it is and my memory serves, It's a little older. But don't hold me to that. This guitar was bought along with a couple of other Squiers that were in a store auction. Still has the original plastic on the pickguard and such.

He's asking 175.

I can get it for less if you're still looking. Shipping might change that though.

I really like that color on the one your looking at.

Disclaimer, I'm not doing a classified add here even though it sounds like it. Just trying to help. I have no need for an extra dollar.

12. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016

That's exactly what I want. Man I wish there was one near me. I'd hop in my car, dare the recent snow and get it.

13. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I really like them for what they are.... an affordable top-loader hardtail offset guitar. The necks are excellent. Pickups, although not typical Jazzmaster type are quite good. Cool modding platform too.

Here's mine with a new pickguard and some mods under the hood. VM JM Special.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    so1om, chimneysweep, corn and 5 others like this.
  14. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-Nut

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I sent the guy an email when I first posted this thread. Never heard back from him. Since I was on the fence anyways, I'll take that as a sign. I'm gonna pass.

deathgrip likes this.
  15. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier Talker

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    I found one at GC. Price was similar. It’s on the way.

dbrian66 and deathgrip like this.
  16. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    I'd still snag that for $200 no questions asked. so what, it's a Jazzmaster shaped offset. I've played one and it was quite the cool axe, cool color and great neck, if you get it (hope you do) keep it original..
    So... all this bashing about it not being a "true" Jazzmaster, but wait, what about all this hype about these new Squier Bullet mustangs??? To me they're nowhere near, and not even close to what a Mustang is, They should of called it the Almost-a stang :p

17. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    One of these came up on Let Go and I should of just grabbed it. Cool color!

dbrian66 likes this.
  18. Nathan1709

Nathan1709 Squier Talker

Dec 30, 2017
    Reading
    I absolutely LOVE the way a Jazzmaster looks. The one the OP has been monitoring on Craigslist is beautiful and if I lived in the US and didn't have to get any guitar purchases past a heavily pregnant, hormonal missus, I would own it already! I am pretty sure that my next NGD will involve a Jazzmaster!

kjohns339, BorderRadio and dbrian66 like this.
  19. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier Talker

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    As you can see from the new avatar, she’s here.

radiotech and dbrian66 like this.
  20. Nathan1709

Nathan1709 Squier Talker

Dec 30, 2017
    Reading
    That is absolutely beautiful. Very jealous.

dbrian66 likes this.