Thoughts on Jazzmasters?

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by dbrian66, Jan 1, 2018.

1. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Squier VM Jazzmasters are GREAT guitars. But half their mojo, at least for me, comes from their bridge and vibrato system (Yes, even when you are not using it ), which this particular model does not have.

Obviously that is just one man's opinion, but then again, you did ask. :)

-don

3. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-Nut

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    That's a pretty nice looking guitar. The DD Pups are vey good as well. Played one once and liked it. I love my VM JM, but mine is the traditional setup with all the things offset haters hate. Worth a try of you want to get into an offset.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  4. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I had the Humbucker version of this Jazz, The bridge is a DanElectro style unit, and is a little tweaky if you don’t understand how it adjusts. It’s a bit brighter than the other Hardtail bridge that was put on the Jagmeister models, but it is a solid guitar.

At $195 w/P90’s, absolutely worth it, if you can talk him down a few bucks when you see it, even better.
    I’ve only seen these pop up a few times, and it’s usually around $250-300.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  5. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    What's the difference in the traditional setup and this? Like I said, I know nothing about these guitars.:)

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  6. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    The only true jazzmaster aspect to this guitar is the body shape. As Don said, if it doesn’t have the tremolo system of real jazzmaster, it’s just an offset... Not that there’s anything wrong with that. ;)
    Offset bodies are very comfortable to play (standing or sitting), and give very good access to the upper frets.

Shine and dbrian66 like this.
  7. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Well for one thing I don't agree with the seller's claim that just because the model is no longer made that it's a collectible.

I've seen and played quite a few and the price is good as I've seen them generally from $200 to $250, but those were at a shop. One good point, to me, it has an alder body, not the basswood in the current VM JMs ... if the body wood makes a difference. It does to me.

Also it doesn't have the unique bridge of a regular VM JM, which some people like and others tear their hair out about.

But I'm with Duceditor that parts of the mystique of the VMs are exactly the things they we love ... and hate ... and love to hate: the bridge and vibrato system. And I will go a step further: I also like the myriad controls of the VM JM, including the rhythm circuit.

Kenneth Mountain, Caddy and dbrian66 like this.
  8. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-holic

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    jazzmasters are awesome, if i had the money i would only own jags/stangs/jazzmasters and heavily mod them ;)

9. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Here it is in picture form:
    F2B5A012-3D94-452F-A7FF-75CCEE74F4B4.jpeg
    ;)

Honestly, for someone who has no experience with Jazzmasters, the one you’re looking at is a better introduction to them than an actual model (IMO). Not only that... but it’s durned pretty with that butterscotch body, and maple neck. Even though the bridge is a bit tweaky, it’s nowhere near as Tweaky as an actual jazzmaster bridge.

Shine, Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  10. Pro Tone Jones

Pro Tone Jones Squier Talker

Dec 20, 2017
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    The J Mascis sig Jazzmaster is one of the cooler guitars I've played. It seems long though...almost like bass long

11. chimneysweep

chimneysweep Squier-holic

Jul 13, 2015
    CA
    JM’s are fantastic, articulate, lovely
    That one doesn’t have all of the options that make a JM unique but if you don’t mind ok but if you want a full JM experience I’d get one w all of the features

Caddy and dbrian66 like this.
  12. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    That’s a different animal, while it has a similar bridge/tremolo, it is a shorter scale than the jazzmaster (24” vs 25.5), slider switches are on/off and phase.

I’d suggest you read some of the other jazzmaster threads here, @duceditor has one in particular where he goes into detail on the operation of the controls.

When it comes down to it, there’s nothing that does everything the jazzmaster does… Except for a jazzmaster (or decent copy).
    It can be a finicky beast that you either love or hate...
    Neither of the guitars you posted are going to give you what a jazzmaster gives you... not to say that there’s anything wrong with those guitars, they are just lacking features.

Unfortunately, even the Squier version isn’t a cheap investment to find out if you like it or not. We can talk all day about our love/hate relationship with them, but you won’t know until you try yourself.

This is one area where YouTube is truly an asset, my laptop goes to my stereo via Bluetooth, and before I buy pickups, or a particular model of guitar I often try to find good reviews or recordings and play them to my stereo.

While I told you that your original butterscotch offset would be an excellent guitar, everyone else is more concerned with the fact that it’s not a real jazzmaster… And it’s not, But if you like the color, P 90s, 25.5 scale length, you get in the ballpark with the looks, if not the features.

This is a very deep rabbit hole…

Shine and dbrian66 like this.
  13. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like I have some homework to do before venturing into the offset world.

I should probably concentrate on the jazzmaster. I have a build in process where I am turning an Epi SG into a hybrid Mustang. Will be able to split both humbuckers and then put them out of phase. Hopefully that is going somewhat check that box for me.

VealCutlet likes this.
  14. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I bought one those Turser Mustangs a couple months ago. Thought it would give me a Mustang to go with my VM Jazzmaster and VM Jaguar. I have two Tursers I really like lot, a 335 and a Strat.

The Turser Mustang on the other hand just didn't do it for me. Too many things different than the typical Mustang. Very strange and not good looking bridge that puts the strings very high above the body (not high above fretboard). The stock pickups are taller than normal to compensate for that and get them close enough to the strings. I bought set of alnico pickups for it then couldn't get them high enough to get any decent output.

Also has the trem of a Jazzmaster, but very unlike the normal Mustang. I like that trem, just seems wrong on a Mustang. Just too many things different from an actual Mustang.

Solution for me was to buy a Squier VM Mustang a couple weeks later (which I love and should have bought in the first place).

dbrian66 and radiotech like this.
  15. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    I’m with Duce - gotta have the traditional JM trem/bridge to be a JM. Just my opinion, but a JM is more than just a body shape.

chimneysweep and Caddy like this.
  16. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY

I have to say - without any reasons at all - I would buy that if I had the quid ! At the price it's listed or a little less it's a no loss experiment - it's worth more than you would pay if it had to go . It looks fun and drop dead sexy ! Don't over think it - grab the debit card and set it up ! signed Ken VP of the enabler division of ST.

17. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Thanks for the heads up

Kenneth Mountain and Caddy like this.
  18. chimneysweep

chimneysweep Squier-holic

Jul 13, 2015
    CA
    Agree

The Mascis model or vm model are good
    Even the Mascis isn’t exactly exact as original.
    I also like the blacktop version even though it’s a compromise—of course i’d change the pickguard and pickups to JM pickups but I actually don’t mind having les paul type bridge it just has to have JM single coils—for me.
    I don’t care if wired straight out.

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  19. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    I really like the Mascias. Seems to have a chunkier neck and darker/thicker tone than my VM. Anyone else notice this or just my perception?

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.