This Makes me Sick!

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by strummer101, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier Talker

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    The curve under the heel ruins it. The guy must feel somewhat unsatisfied.

2. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    I've heard this statement so many times, and it is just so untrue...

EVERYTHING is collectable. Some people do collect things I would not dream of collecting, but still, they do.
    Squier guitars are usually not very valuable. In the 70s and 80s many people were collecting stamps. Only a few of those collections have any real value. But don't we all wish we had bought and collected those 1980s Squier guitars? I wish I had.

Collecting has nothing to do with value, but with the pleasure of collecting.

3. strummer101

strummer101 Squier Talker

Jun 13, 2019
    ohio
    I guess no one can figure it out..... The whole idea of what a cigar box is , is taking something that is not an instrument and making it into a playable guitar as a matter of having something to play. that is not the case here. kinda like all the phony blues players out there that never saw hard times. but play and sing that they have.
    I am surprised that everyone here places such little value on a squire i like them and play my affinity strat as much as my American stratocaster, they get equal love. when I was starting out around 1973 I would have killed for a tele of any type including Squier type quality, yea I had a home made 3 string guitar and played it for a year then my mom bought me a 6 string cowboy guitar from the toy dept at Kmart.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    nicod98 likes this.
  4. Squierplayer1

Squierplayer1 Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    It's not "untrue" because it's 100% subjective, and therefore it cannot be true or untrue.

5. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    This is a forum: we all give OUR OWN opinion.

You obviously mean to say that they are NOT collectable. That's your opinion, and I respect that. I just don't agree.

As I already mentioned "Collecting has nothing to do with value, but with the pleasure of collecting.", so it's my opinion that Squiers ARE collectable. And I expect everybody to respect that too. And I can accept and respect that you don't agree with me.

There's no need to say now that your opinion was NOT true either... It makes you contradict yourself (because you say in one post that they are NOT collectable at all, and in another that the collectability is 100% subjective), and it won't change my idea, just as much as me saying that it was untrue would have changed yours.

6. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Elsewhere
    Well, I think a lot of people think of collecting as having an investment quality to it. Like, sure you collect baseball cards because you enjoy it, but you also expect some of the cards to increase in value.

I don’t think it’s necessary that things increase in value to be a collection, but for example, when I was confirming that my home insurance covered my guitar collection, there was a lot of back-and-forth and confusion until I realized they considered a “collection” as essentially a monetary investment represented in a group of similar physical objects.

So from an insurance (and some people’s perspectives) I don’t have a “collection” of guitars, simply an accumulation of items of low or consumer-like value.

But that’s not why I have four Strats, etc. It’s because I like them.

7. Squierplayer1

Squierplayer1 Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    Ok, well, i'll just leave it at this....you may want to re evaluate your definition of collectable because if a squier affinity is collectable then all guitars are collectable. And when that happens collectable no longer means anything just the same as the word "bad" would mean nothing if there were no good. Have at it, i'm done...

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  8. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    I just watched a tv show about a guy that collects poop, yep fossilized poop, from all over the world, some hundreds of years old and from hundreds of different species. If you ask me that’s that’s a pretty crappy thing to collect :p

Big tuna, rorygman, nicod98 and 3 others like this.
  9. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

lol

snivlem likes this.
  10. strummer101

strummer101 Squier Talker

Jun 13, 2019
    ohio
    Wow and I thought this forum was for Squier enthusiasts,

Kenneth Mountain and nicod98 like this.
  11. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    It’s for all kinds of people. Including those that want to take a saw and chop up a guitar body into another shape.

Kenneth Mountain, corn and nicod98 like this.
  12. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    I love collecting my non-collectable guitars....:D

13. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    Went to the natural history museum yesterday... They said it contained "valuable information"... We all have different preferences though... I'd rather stick to guitars...
    It IS! Don't run away now...
    It IS! I does hurt when I see this happen though. And even though it certainly is NOT as collectable as an early Squier, or a ProTone, or a Master Series... , it still feels wrong (to me) to make a cigar box guitar of an Affinity. But, in the end, it IS somebody else's guitar. It is just an Affinity, it has little monetary value, and it's not rare. So it's no big deal...
    I see no arguments for calling your Squier guitars non-collectable. Does anyone here have Squier Venus around that they are going to throw in the bin?
    Some are just more valuable members of your collection than others. The Affinity is on the low end of that (there was never any discussion about that). And then again value is what others are willing to give for it.
    As the Oxford dictionary (respected all over the world) describes in her definition of collectable: "An item valued and sought by collectors". So if you collect them (making you a collector), and value them, they are collectable.
    If our guitars were not collectable, there wouldn't be as many posts on this site...
    As an insurance company they are solely looking at the monetary value, not necessarily collectability. I have one Roman coin... It's not very valuable, but I still call that collectable.
    And I suppose as long as you pay your insurance fee, it does not really matter how much that monetary investment was.
    As I only have ONE Roman coin, it's no collection yet... As soon as I find another... It might become one ;)

Kenneth Mountain, drewcp and Best1989 like this.
  14. Jackarce

Jackarce New Member

Jul 19, 2019
    usa
  15. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Meister

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    It's cool that Will Ray has a guitar column. I will probably send this article to my dad.

16. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    No. It's for Squier collectors. :D:D

Kenneth Mountain and drewcp like this.
  17. antiquityscion

antiquityscion Squier-Meister

Aug 27, 2012
    phoenix,az
    That always bothers me. It's one thing to customize to something YOU want. No problem there, but destroying a guitar just to destroy it is silly. Makes no sense. Even when you go back to the 1960s with the Who and Jimi Hendrix, I never understood that mentality, but back then they were all on acid so they have an excuse. Now, it's been done to death, and I honestly don't understand the reason behind or what they get out of destroying a musical instrument on stage.

18. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Meister

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta

John Hiatt said it best, "It breaks my heart to see those stars smashing perfectly good guitars."

19. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    The audience thinks it's cool because they have no idea how much guitars cost.

20. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Sick was that '53 Tele that someone routed out for a Bigsby that Dan Erlewine repaired. This is just... interesting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice