This lap steel is messing with my brain.

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by Big tuna, Nov 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I was ordering a uke for my granddaughter the other day and decided to get a Rogue lap steel for $79 a deal i thought. This thing is taxing my guitar scale brain. It's like learning all over again. I played a lot of open G and drop D on acoustic guitars years ago but this is a new beast. I know several people here play one. Mine is open G dobro tuning for now. Other tunings sound interesting any good advice on strings or tuning's.

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Have you got a good weighted tone bar or are you trying to use a regular slide? The tone bar makes it much easier I find.....you'll get used to the short scale length and muscle memory will kick in eventually.....

3. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I got a tone bar and heavier strings coming Friday the glass and metal slides are to light. Thanks.

willhowl and dbrian66 like this.
  4. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I’ve played guitar for... well, long enough that I should be better... Anyway I got to mess with a lap steel, and felt about as out of my depth as if someone handed me an Oboe, or something. Now throw in multiple necks and some pedals, and you’d need to be an Octopus or something to really rip on it! Nothing but awe from me towards guys who can play slide and make it look easy!

Big tuna and dbrian66 like this.
  5. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Tune to C6, much easier and intuitive. Good for Hawaiian and blues. E9 for country but I never connected with that.

Pedal steel is a mind blower. I finally sold mine.

Where’s @Papa Joe when you need him?

6. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    I'm right here..I'm not in total agreement on your statement about E9 for country though..True, that's what most pedal steel players use the most but the old country of guys like Hank and the others usually had lap steels with a 6th tuning..Mostly C6 and A6..They would sometimes tune one string different, but it would still be a form of a 6th..
    Western swing players sometimes used a E13 tuning..(they usually had an 8 string guitar).
    When they had multiple necks, each neck would be a different tuning..
    Wanna hear the story of the first "pedal" steels ??

7. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I consider you one of the resident experts here when it come to steel.

So... begin. :)

Big tuna likes this.
  8. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
  9. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I knew you would see this and chime in. These tunings are over wellming to someone new at these things lol!There are so many tunings for newbies to explore, my hats off to pedal steel and dobro players!

so1om likes this.
  10. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    The great Alvino Rey had pedals on his steel but he didn't use them in the same way as they were used in country music..(back in the 40s)

Big tuna and so1om like this.
  11. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    I haven’t picked up my lap a least a year or so, but I do remember A6 or open D or something similar? It’s fun I better go give whirl again. Good luck

Big tuna likes this.
  12. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
  13. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    You need to build an electric Weisenberg .You have great wood for glue ups!

14. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    I remember reading this article by Bobbe Seymour (no longer with us) and looked it up..
    He was there at the start and was very knowledgeable about steel guitars..
    https://pedalsteelmusic.com/?p=733

Big tuna likes this.
  15. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    When other steel players heard Webb Pierce's recording of "Slowly" with the pedal steel on it, they all had to get that sound somehow..
    Some of them took their 8 string steels and put 2 DIYS pedals on them..
    They driilled two holes it the tuner pans and hooked clothe hanger wires on the strings and hooked pedals on the other end..When they pushed the pedals it raised the strings.
    Crude but it worked..

rolandson, Big tuna and so1om like this.
  16. DougMen

DougMen Squier-Nut

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    This thread reminds me of the great Rusty Young from Poco who would sometimes play his steel through a Leslie speaker, and it sounded just like a Hammond B3. My favorite country rock band of all time. And they have the distinction of having both their bass payers stolen away from them by the lure of big money with the Eagles. Timmy in the Eagles is just a shadow of the amazing singer/songwriter and bass player that he was in Poco, but that's a story for another thread.

surf green, Big tuna and so1om like this.
  17. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I think Papa need his own little forum thread, Q&A for all the cool tidbits he shares.

18. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    "Pickin' with Papa"

Big tuna and so1om like this.
  19. dtsreiuqs

dtsreiuqs Squier-Nut

Oct 18, 2015
    France
    I was in the same confusion, Big tuna... :confused:

I bought for peanuts a minty Fender FS52 RI with its case, steel bar, etc... I messed with the original RH dexterity and strings for a time - in a major chord as it was tuned when I got the instrument. I was totally wrong. I finally converted it in LH and - after extensive research on the web - decided to install a C6th set of strings and bought several string bars for testing :

[​IMG]

Here are the mods I did :

[​IMG]

I was right : the C6th tuning is sweet sounding as is, and you can play and improvise some interesting things by yourself quite easily. That said playing a Lap Steel is at least as difficult as playing guitar and I need to work and rework - just like for guitar. It's a long road...

Some people says that the FS52 RI is a junk... Maybe. But as a beginner, for the 50 Euros I paid it, I think it's noneteless a good starter, at least ! And also easy to convert to LH. ;)

A+!

20. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I think it looks cool myself ! I am a lefty but play right handed guitars. I think i will try C6 tuning in the near future thanks for your comment and cool pic's i love the shielding.

so1om likes this.