Thinline build quality query

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by richl87, Nov 29, 2019.

1. richl87

richl87 New Member

Nov 28, 2019
    Wien
    Hi everyone. I checked out a classic vibe thinline Tele (orangey wood finish) in a store today and pretty much fell in the love. However i noticed a couple of minor quality issues that made me wonder if they're typical for this model (in which case I'll buy anyway), or if I should hold out for another guitar of the same model.

1)Inside the f holes, the wood that's at right angles to the front was not stained/ finished, but there was run offs / drips coming from front finish making it look untidy when you look closley. Normal, or should that wood be clean or finished?

2) at the head end of the skunk stripe on the neck, the join with the neck is not smooth. There's a little bit of a ridge. Is that standard or would you expect it to be smooth.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts. I was shocked by how playable it was and can't wait to get one!

2. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

Almost didn't reply, I have a Fender MIM Thinline and thought I was on the Tele forum....LOL. 1) If it's inside the F-hole, you're gonna be the only one that knows about it, and it's a Squier, so, no big deal, that wouldn't put me off. 2) I would expect that to be smooth, my Bullet Strat is quite smooth. I played a Squier Thinline some years back in my local guitar store, it was sweet, and would've bought it then and there, if it had been shoreline gold....it was black :( ...but my wife surprised me with the MIM Fender for my 60th birthday, so my Tele itch was scratched

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    You didn't mention it the guitar was new (store demo) or used. If demo, ask to play another guitar same model. If used, and if price is very good, buy it. The neck can easily be smoothed with a scotch-brite. Welcome aboard.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Welcome to the forum

Both things are 100% normal and can happen on $2000+ Fender guitars too.....

They don't finish the inside of F holes or clean it up there much....

The skunk stripe can sometimes be felt with the hands....

Caddy and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    I’m assuming new, MII CV Thinline.

Slop in the F-holes is to expected on any sub-700 dollar guitar, no biggie there.

The ridge shouldn’t have ever happened. If all else is cool, I’d find a model that doesn’t have that flaw.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  6. I looked at my CV Thinline over very carefully and none of those "issues" exist on mine. It's flawless.
    Cheers, Barrie.

Kenneth Mountain and fattboyzz like this.
  7. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Squier Talker

Jul 27, 2010
    Maine
    I replied to your TDPRI thread......

My CV Thinline is very early production and the interior of the F-hole and the edges of the cutout are painted black.

8. richl87

richl87 New Member

Nov 28, 2019
    Wien
    Thanks everyone for the reply. I'm now the proud owner of a beautiful thinline tele!

I checked out the f hole again and it wasn't anything like as bad as i remembered. Nothing like the finish-quality of the guitar face, but a relatively consistent run off from it. Sounds exactly like what one would expect based on the comments here.

The bump at the tip of the skunk-stripe is definitely there. I couldn't find any other squire thinline teles in my city, but i checked out some other squire teles and they were all completely smooth. However, it didn't bother me when playing (if anything, a little landmark is appreciated to feel where i am on the neck!) and I was mainly concerned about future resale value. But now I have it, I don't see myself wanting to sell this guitar soon!

In the end the sound and the look grabbed me, and I wanted this guitar. It plays great and I couldn't be happier with my choice!

Thanks again

9. THAT … is what makes it all worth while. Pics if you get a chance … happy new Tele day.
    Cheers, Barrie.

ToneChaser77 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice