Thinking About Buying A "Real" Strat

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by JohnnyMac, Oct 17, 2019.

1. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    This guy heard you say his Squier is not a real Strat .......

Best of luck explaining.......[​IMG]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

2. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    If you want a “real” Strat, than go check it out. It doesn’t matter if your skill set justifies the price. What matters is what you want and if your wallet can afford it! The guitar looks great.

And just my 2 cents on this side topic, I agree that the higher end brands are generally better guitars. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Squiers and Epi’s and all the other budget brand guitars, but..... Out of all my 30 something guitars, the two nicest players both say Gibson on the headstock. And the one MIM Fender I have, feels better than most of my Squiers. And that’s without any kind of work done to the Fender as far as the neck goes. Are there bad Gibson’s and Fenders? Yes. Are there great Squiers and Epi’s? Yes. But in my limited experience, the higher end guitars just feel better for the most part. Doesn’t mean they are worth the price, just that they feel better if you can afford it.

Davey, Eddie, Brocephus and 1 other person like this.
  3. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Depends on your mindset. To me there's not a Squier out there other than the early MIJ ones that I'd own over MIM Fenders. I've owned more guitars than just about everyone else here combined. Not saying Squiers aren't excellent guitars, the top end ones can be. The CV line especially really hit the mark. I'll also admit there's something about Fender on the headstock for me. I'd check that one out for sure. I'm looking locally for a good deal on an MIM Tele.

mb doug, Davey, drewcp and 1 other person like this.
  4. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I’ve got the early 2000’s skinny vintage fret Strats for as little as $150, and flipped them... I like the med-jumbo frets of the newer models. The necks are also chunkier at the nut on MIM’s/USA’s (which I like).
    My current strat is a FSR MF/GC model, was originally SSH. Got it for $250 used, and installed a new guard and Fender Standard USA A5 pups. It’s my #1 Strat:
    1D3C65E6-57C2-44E2-B186-46F7F8FD8645.jpeg
    # 2 is a Bullet I modded that I like nearly as much, no other Strats have stuck (not counting my ‘51).
    00F7A98C-B7E7-4167-802B-7C60F00C3714.jpeg
    can you tell I like maple necks?

dbrian66 and mb doug like this.
  5. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I also have several Squiers and they are great guitars. My first MIM was a Mustang 90 in Fiesta Red. I love the sound of P90s, especially in that guitar. Then I really went and did it. I absolutely fell in love with the Deluxe Roadhouse MIM Strat and I went and bought one at regular price. I absolutely love that guitar and I play it more than all my others combined. I don't think there is much difference in workmanship between an MIM and an Asian import. However you do get more choices in terms of features and pickups. My Roadhouse has a two point floating trem that I believe is superior to the 6 point models. It also has an active pre-amp with 6 presets that really fill out the tone. It also came with Noiseless pickups and locking tuners. If you buy a CV Squire and add those upgrades, you would be somewhere near the same money.

deluxe roadhouse.jpg Mustang 90-3.jpg

mb doug, fattboyzz and dbrian66 like this.
  6. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    Just so you will have one? That's OK, Let us know if it plays/sounds any better than the best of your Squiers.

mb doug, brians and dbrian66 like this.
  7. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Meister

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia
    I had to wade through the whole thread, to make sure no one has already pointed out that a "real" Strat, is gonna cost the OP around $20-30,000 :D.
    After Uncle Leo sold the company around 1964, they're ALL basically corporate-licensed clones. (with a quasi-plausible argument being made for older G&L's, of course.)
    Anyway, as happy as I've been with the Squiers I do and have owned, I've also owned a bunch of nice US-made Strats, as well as several MIM's, and the fact of the matter is, there IS a difference.
    The US made guitars were discernibly better instruments, versus anything I ever got out of Mexico, China, or Indonesia.
    But, the salient question is........are they $1000+ better ???? Sorry, Fender Musical Instruments Corporation ™....IMO, they ain't ! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    mb doug, Mr Bones, jskeen and 3 others like this.
  8. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    And to add to this , which I believe is the most important thing , does it change your skill level?

Now it can, if you are playing on something that is completely out of wack, and then get something that is perfectly set up.
    That will make a monumental difference.

But all said and done, I fully get the thing of having the Fender name on the headstock if one wants. Nothing at all wrong with that.

I fortunately have one, but it doesn't make me play any better. In fact it has vintage frets which probably make me play worse.

And so anyway, if there is gas to have a Fender , all is well.

I can't see me buying one anytime soon over a VM or CV which I would love to have now. But that's just my story.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  9. mduganjr

mduganjr Squier-Meister

Mar 21, 2017
    Covington, LA
    I do like that Red. My A series MIJ is basically that same color. It looks nice in the sunlight.

10. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier-Meister

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    The operative word here is "good". I had a 92 AmSt Tele with TBX that couldn't hold a candle to my VM Cabronita hardtail. I sold it at the same time I sold my Strat. The neck wasn't near as good, fit and finish wise, and it was heavy as a boat anchor. But I got it new old stock for a song in 1997. It sounded good aside from the drawbacks. And although I like the fat neck and jumbo frets on my AVRI 52 Hot Rod Tele, it doesn't sound as good as my Cabronita Bigsby that got run'd over by the UPS Truck, or my CIJ Antigua Tele. I have been considering swapping the pups out for something more 52 Blackguard with the standard lipstick neck pup and the Broadcaster circuit. It would basically be a Wildwood 52 RI Edition at that point with the 9.5 radius board, which I prefer.

11. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    I love my two CV Strats but... I also love my two Fender MIM Std, they are amazing guitars.

12. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    I play the crap out of my Squier standard and my MIM SE strat with the lace sensors and Dimarzio heavy blues II in the bridge. Rotate every playtime. The 2015 MIM standard has Tex Mex pickups and sits in the case till the weekends. Dont know why but I have to feel just right before I play it. Probably because it is the only guitar I bought brand spankin new. If I have to admit it, I really am drawn to my squier most of the time.

mb doug, Dave M, brians and 1 other person like this.
  13. jskeen

jskeen Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2016
    Texas
    I gotta say, buy what ya can afford, keep what ya like, play what sounds best. And be glad you can play. I love guitars, work on them every day. Can't play to save my life. Advanced engineeritis, so my wife says. I just find working on them way more interesting than grinding through the year or two of brute memorization and physical repetition it takes to learn.
    Now, do I like working on USA strats, teles and LP's more than squires and Epi's and such? Honestly, sure. It's relatively rare for me, and that makes it kind of special, and from a "working on somebody else's guitar" standpoint", it pays better.
    But from a buy/build/resell viewpoint, the return on investment, ON AVERAGE, is nowhere near as good. Now you can really clean up every once in a great while, but day in day out, you just have to tie up too much capital, for too long, and get too little out of it.

14. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    If you look at the MIM signature models and player models they seem to put a little more attention to detail from my experience and those MIM Strats a a step above the MIM Standard ones.
    My Robert Cray MIM Inca and road warn are really good guitars.
    Of course I'll always like my Squiers and especially after modified they are great and can be just perfect enough to be a main player for the rest of your life.
    I just happen to like Squier and Fenders. Will never pay for a new American model though. Maybe used at some point

mb doug and Dave M like this.
  15. Squierplayer1

Squierplayer1 Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    Yhe MIM classic series and their successor, vinteras are good. Not IMO better then a squier CV, just different. But i would suggest u take a pass on a MIM standard or standard variant because they out and out suck. Just my opinion. Had one, could not sell it fast enough. I'd prefer even a squier standard, and i'm not real fond of those.

mb doug likes this.
  16. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I have one MIM Fender Strat. That's the only "real" Fender I want and/or need. Interesting how I don't GAS for Fenders.

But Squiers catch my eye ... especially the ones I covet. I was up to 20 Squiers at one time. I'm down a bit for now ... but will be back for more very soon. :)

mb doug likes this.
  17. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-Nut

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    Great posts and perspectives! I certainly didn't mean to disparage Squiers in any way. I have some really nice ones and will surely be looking for more.

I bought the MIM and so far I'm pretty pleased with it. I wasn't sure if I'd like the color (Chrome Red) but I do like it. Instead of red over gold like candy apple it's red over silver. The highlights are bright white and the overall color seems brighter. Seems to play nicely and it's set up pretty well.

I haven't even plugged it in yet and I'm too tired to do it tonight so I'll get back with more impressions tomorrow.

004.JPG

mb doug, Rey08, Mr Bones and 8 others like this.
  18. Zeedoctour

Zeedoctour Squier Talker

Feb 19, 2018
    Texas
    It's really quite an individual thing. Of all the guitars I have had, the two best playing, best sounding and thus "make me a better player because of this" strats that I own are both partscasters I made, one of them out of Cort factory Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster neck on a Cort factory Affinity body (basswood) and the other a Cort factory Squier Classic Vibe Jazzmaster neck on a custom carved roasted alder body. Both are better than any stock factory guitar I have played including Fender (to me) but as I said, a lot of this is because of what I want out of my guitars that the factory haven't offered so far. Better players than me have also remarked that both are "amazing" guitars in feel and tone so I seem to want what many seek. I wonder if they go through so many guitars because they haven't found it yet, or seek to find something that one special guitar gave them that isn't typical of "most" of the others that they don't end up buying. I recently decided to sell one of mine because while it is very very nice, and special in it's own way, it isn't exactly what I wanted when I put it together and my cancer has bankrupted me. Some lucky bastard is going to get it and I know they will be very happy with it, unless they don't know what they want. If that's the case, I kind of expect they would never buy it because it too, is made out of Squier wood despite having some very nice hardware on and in it. Like always, playability and tone are all I seek to bestow on what I build, the "name" on any of the parts is not important. I do try to give it some visual swagger by trying to match colors and finishes in ways that look pleasing and follow a theme.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    mb doug likes this.
  19. Zeedoctour

Zeedoctour Squier Talker

Feb 19, 2018
    Texas
    you might appreciate this one : (it sounds terrific and plays like a dream as the neck is so nice)

jazzcaster2.jpg

mb doug, Best1989, jjudas and 2 others like this.
  20. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Beautiful guitar. I like the HB in the bridge.

Best wishes,thoughts & prayers for recovery from disease. I know it takes a ton out of you. I'm glad you are able to still pursue your hobbies to some degree. Best wishes to be well soon.

mb doug and fattboyzz like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice