The winter that Would Not End :(

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by daan, Apr 14, 2018.

1. daan

daan Squier-Nut

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    75FF9A41-A784-4C0E-8715-DF3DE9A131C3.jpeg 839D94E2-9E53-4576-8456-05A28F25D20C.jpeg The snow is coming down hard here (Erin Prarie WI) It’s been snowing since last night. Things were just starting to melt, too. I get that I live in the Upper Midwest, and winter happens. But I just feel like winters are lasting longer and longer... I moved into my house in 2010, and since then, we’ve had two winters that lasted straight into May (like the second week of May). I grew up here, and the whole time we never had a winter last past March, the beginning. I also realize this is probably par for the course for our Canadian friends, too, so I shouldn’t complain... Last fall I had arranged a delivery of topsoil for now, they called Friday and asked if I still wanted it, semi-jokingly.
    How are all of you guys holding up? I (and my kids) are totally getting Cabin Fever here... my wife and I are trying to plan a trip somewhere south of here, just to get away from the snow.

2. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    We've been lucky here,I guess..Lots of rain but I've seen only one light snow fall this week..
    I figure to be mowing with in the next couple of weeks..

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. daan

daan Squier-Nut

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I just got a call, that one of the techs left early because of the weather, and the overnight tech called in. So instead of the 4 techs that should be on, it’s the 9-5 tech (who should have gone home 2 hours ago) and the 7a-7p tech who’s supposed to leave about now. There’s a general “Whoever can get here, PLEASE come in” call out now, so I will probably be there all day tomorrow. Also, I live 70 mins from work, and the two call-ins both live in the city, 15-20 min. drive away at most (rolleyes). Kids these days...

VealCutlet and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. Trumpy

Trumpy Squier Talker

Feb 5, 2018
    Western WI
    I wonder why we live here for at least 6 months every year :rolleyes:

I'm over by Big Lake, between Osceola and Amery

5. Not for this Canadian. Rain is our normal winter precipitation event on this island out in the Pacific Ocean.
    Looks nasty out your way. Cheers, Barrie.

VealCutlet and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  6. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    It was 39 this am at 830 now it's 29 at 10 pm - ice storm sunday's back up to 46 ? First year I'm sick of winter

techowiz and Eddie like this.
  7. Eddie

Eddie Squier-holic

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    We had a beautiful Spring-like day. Beautiful day in NYC. :)

techowiz, daan and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  8. squierplayer

squierplayer Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I'm in Wausau. We are in the midst of a three day snow storm. 12 to 18 inches predicted before it stops.

9. daan

daan Squier-Nut

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I hit “like”. And by like, I mean, “DISlike”. Ugh, I’m so tired of this.

10. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Nut

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    96 °F here in Chiang Mai. Due to hit 100 °F today. Haven't seen any snow yet this year. :)

11. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia Suburbs
    reached 86 on Saturday warmest day so far this year, rain forecast for the next 24hrs

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  12. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    We're not as bad as that here in Indy but we are supposed to have a high of about 38 tomorrow. That's a good 20 degrees below normal. It's been even more of a roller coaster than normal here with 20 degree swings from one day to the next, we even had 10 inches of snow 2 weeks ago which was the first real snow of the season. All of it melted the next day. WTF?

Kenneth Mountain and daan like this.
  13. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-Nut

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    i-love-summer-in-wisconsin-last-year-it-was-on-13950987.png

14. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia Suburbs
    Where's the laugh buttons ?

15. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Nut

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    This reminds me so much of England, except we usually got a couple of weeks so maybe I should have counted myself lucky!

16. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    We've not been hit here with deep snow, nor will what did come down last. But a typical April this has not been.

I took this pic through a bedroom window this morning, just before lighting up the wood stove so as to take off the bone deep chill.

April 16th Ice Storm.jpg

Interestingly, though, when I look at Facebooks "memories" page I see myself having said this every year for the last ten that I've been a member there. And according to what I read we are yet some distance from duplicating what it was like here in the late 1800s.

Truth is my concept of "Spring" formed when I was I think twelve. That year we went went swimming in the local pond during Easter vacation and it has been my model of Spring ever since! :)

Funny how that is.

-don

Matt Shevell, AllroyPA and radiotech like this.
  17. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    After four childhood winters in northern Minnesota (90 Miles from international Falls)... The tenacity of winter never surprises me.

I remember in second grade it snowed something like 10 inches on the last day of school (late May).

18. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    You guys are in it!

Cold and raining like hell here, nice hail storm Saturday beating up my Magnolia tree blossoms....... again! Street flooded in front of our house.

19. Eddie

Eddie Squier-holic

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Torrential rain today. Half my students are missing.

It's coming down in buckets. But then again, the grass need the water. I'm glad I didn't put any lime or fertilizer down on Saturday. It was would have washed away.

20. squierplayer

squierplayer Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2011
    Wisconsin
    We wound up with 19 inches when it was all said and done. More on Wed. is possible. This global worming thing really sucks.

jagmaster likes this.