The VM Jazzmaster - Some Thoughts

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by duceditor, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Flashart

Flashart Squier Talker

Sep 25, 2012
    UK
    I completely agree. I was saying in my other thread http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/is-the-tomato-a-better-potato.137474/ that we all to some degree suffer from info overload.

We see and read about classic guitars and tones and believe that the only way to achieve the best sound is with rare, expensive, vintage or boutique instruments. It's as if we doubt that an affordable guitar can actually create such wonderful sounds.

I'd liken it to tv car shows that perpetuate the myth that unless your commute to work is in a Ferrari, through the mountains of Italy, while being chased by a helicopter, you're not really driving.

nobucks and so1om like this.
  2. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    The bottom line is that it works for you, and perhaps even speaks to you. It feels good when you play it. It pleases your ears.

That is what I found first with the inexpensive Epis -- the Junior and the Special. And then in double spades with the CM. -The feel, the sound, everything really. It is for me just "right" (which is different from me proclaiming it is "just right").

:)

-don

3. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Meister

Feb 4, 2016
    Anyone have any thoughts on the J Mascis compared to the VM Jazzmaster? I tried a Mascis and really liked the neck profile.

4. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    Look up Flyer91 posts. He was a big JMascis fan and did some great reviews of it.

5. nobucks

nobucks Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I came across a Squier Jaguar at a pawn shop here in SF today, very nice, no dings. Didn't plug it in though, but it felt nice. $250.00

Then. when I got home, I saw on the GFS website, in the Clearance section, an Xavier offset for $199. Sharp fret edges are the reason it's in clearance, but, I can deal with that. Shipping would put it up around the same price as the pawned Jaguar.

Opinions? Here's the link to the Xaviere...Oh yeah, it has JM90 pickups, too...There's another one in the Luthier Specials section too, for $179.

Also, just in the, Sort-of-Cool category, I found two of my former guitars in different shops. My Dean Vendetta and my Epi LP100. They both looked as though they'd been mistreated. :(

I felt bad for them, but not bad enough to buy them back...

Last edited: May 23, 2018 at 2:09 PM
  6. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I dunno. A, it is not a Jaguar. Did you want a Jag? B, it lacks the 2nd circuit of a Jazzmaster. Do you want a Jazzmaster? C, roughly ten percent off for dings and rough frets. Do you see that as a bargain?

Shipping cost will be both ways if it is not what you hope for. I'd personally take the Jag at $250 or look for a deal on a new one like was posted earlier this week.

-don

Caddy, nobucks and so1om like this.
  7. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Nothing against the Xaviere per se, but it's "missing" half of what makes it a Jazzmaster -and for the same price you can have everything and without the work.

So the real question is: how cool and how much do you want the missing half? What's your budget, because the $ is the same difference? And do you want to do the work when you could be playing?

And resale/value add. You can do all that work on an $200 guitar and it's still worth $200.

duceditor and nobucks like this.
  8. nobucks

nobucks Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    For me, the work is half the fun. And, as you noted, neither one will likely ever be more than I paid for either one. If I do pull the trigger on one or the other, it would likely be the pawnshop Squier Jag. IMO, it's more guitar for the same price. And, actually, given that it's a pawnshop, I could probably get the Squier for $200.

Again, just my opinion, but, a Squier is worth more. cash-wise, when you part it out. The parts are worth more than the whole, if you will...

so1om likes this.
  9. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Get the Jag! You will be happy and if your not, someone here will probably buy it. Or you can resell it locally pretty easily.

Caddy and nobucks like this.