The "Upgrade Post"

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by DUSTER, Mar 13, 2019.

1. DUSTER

DUSTER Squier-Meister

May 2, 2014
    Greensburg, Pa.
    I don't believe we have a section or place to post what upgrades or work we have done to our gear lately. How about we start one.... Getting new gear is an upgrade too. I'll go first.

Monday I picked up the purple(midnight blue) Tele and yesterday I put a new Eminence Texas Heat speaker in my new Roland amp. Sounded pretty good but I can REALLY try it today while the wife is out of the house......turn it up to #11

2. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-Nut

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    Upgrade post don't count if ya don't post pics.

corn, squierbilly and squier-esquire like this.
  3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Eminence Legend 12" in the Epiphone Valve Jr cabinet. Jury is still out on this, I have to play with the clean settings more.

Jensen Green 8" in the Fender Champion 20 solid-state combo. This is like 100% better.

@oneLOCOman - it looks the same when put back together :)

jjudas and squier-esquire like this.
  4. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I have been making a solid effort to play guitar everyday for at least 10 minutes.

5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    that's an upgrade from the bass. :D

drewcp and so1om like this.
  6. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Practicing is the best thing you can ever do for your tone.

7. squier-esquire

squier-esquire Squier-holic

May 27, 2012
    USA
    I have a 97 Gibson studio I’m converting from stock configuration to a faithful 1952 repilica; P90’s hand made bridge, aged gold and 1970’s electrics.

Partstang using an ash body, maple 25.5 scale neck, Bootstrap humbuckers, brass cut pickguard and copper cut switch cover.

surfrodguitar likes this.
  8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Today I ordered some cheapo locking tuners from China to see if they're any good. I usually just use a good old "loop and lock" stringing but some people have asked about them so I decided to try out a set. I'll try them out on my SX Tele, shown here with it's most recent mod, a rehoused GFS P90 in the neck position.

[​IMG]

corn, squierbilly and rbh32 like this.
  9. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    I'm considering taking the loaded guard and neck off my Fender USA/Musikraft partscaster and selling the 2TS body, then replace it with the newly acquired Midnight Blue MIM body. You all might think I'm crazy but sunburst just doesn't ring my bell no matter how nice it is, and I can sell this body for more than I paid for the whole MIM Strat.

Replace this....
    [​IMG]

With this...
    [​IMG]

BlueSquirrel, rbh32 and surfrodguitar like this.
  10. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    My last upgrades, I installed a Celestion Greenback in my Stage Right 15W and some JJ Tubes.

Celestion GB_2x.jpg

squierbilly, Davey and Conghaille like this.
  11. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-Nut

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    I've a bunch of things to list, but I'll start here, in spirit of the previous post.

This is my Marshall DSL40C.

I re-tubed it:

V1: 1975 JAN GE 12AX7
    V2: 1975 JAN GE 12AX7
    V3: Tung Sol Gold Pin 12AX7
    V4 (PI): JJ 12AT7
    V5&6: Matched Pair Mullard EL34

I also replaced the Seventy80 speaker with a Celestion G12M-65 Creamback.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  12. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    How to you like your Creamback? I didn't like the stock Seventy80 in my combo. I love my Greenback, it sounds great. It's perfect for Classic Rock IMO.

13. DUSTER

DUSTER Squier-Meister

May 2, 2014
    Greensburg, Pa.
    I like that SB

14. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-Nut

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    I have three G12M speaker models (G12EVH [Heritage UK Greenback], Greenback, and Creamback) in different amps and cabs. As I understand it, they are meant to be voiced similarly.

I think the closest are the EVH/Heritage and the Greenback. I find the Greenback to be a bit darker overall.

The Creamback I think just has higher headroom due to it's power handling. This means if I'm playing at bedroom volumes, it'll be clearer than my Greenbacks. Still you have to push some wattage the get the Greenback to break up. I'd say you have to push a bit harder. Otherwise, I think the frequency response is close--it just seems to be a little cleaner to brighter to me if I'm not really pushing all 40 watts into it.

(It's worth mentioning that I most typically play the 40 as a head through a 4x12 of G12EVHs) so I usually get my preferred "greenback" tone.

corn and Jim Belaye like this.
  15. rbh32

rbh32 Squier-Meister

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    Mini neck on an Affinity body... Gotoh vintage tuners... Gotoh saddles... HH pickguard with GM Alnico II humbuckers.. Tele wiring kit.. diy tremolo plate... I think I like this one, now on to a Mini necked Tele!!
    C1C6CBB7-DA60-45F5-8310-584361533F3A.jpeg
    7BD48EDE-B419-4EB8-BF28-76E2E7009DE3.jpeg

BlueSquirrel and squierbilly like this.
  16. DUSTER

DUSTER Squier-Meister

May 2, 2014
    Greensburg, Pa.
    I haven't done it yet but......I'm going to take the Texas Specials out of the blonde Tele, put them in the purple one and then put Nocasters in the blonde with the blackguard wiring scheme. It just seems like the right thing......putting the Nocasters in that blonde....kind of early 50's look and sound, I hope.

17. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Put in a matched set of Electro-Harmonix 6V6 GTs and a Tung-Sol 12AX7 in my SCXD, changed out the stock speaker for a Weber Signature 10S ceramic and adjusted the bias up to spec. It sounded great right from the git go! Better after some needed speaker break in. I'm sure the new speaker made a difference but I don't know how much each change affected the final results. I made the changes all at the same time. I'm thinking maybe I should have swapped out the tubes and adjusted the bias and then put it through some playing time to see (well, hear) how much if any changes occurred then put in the speaker. eventually I may put back in the stock speaker to evaluate the differences. Nah, It's what I was looking for as it is now! I'm just gonna play it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice