The open Slide Guitar thead....

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by so1om, May 7, 2018.

1. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    also, where's @fadetoz ? He's a slide player!

fadetoz likes this.
  2. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Hey there... Well I'm far from any kind of expert on the subject.... I ended up setting up my 1945 Harmony arch top in open E tuning for slide.
    That way I have a dedicated guitar for it and it has high action so it works out great. I currently use a metal slide on my ring finger. I would like to use my pinky but it's just not comfortable or natural at all for me. I practice every few days and i'm always looking on youtube for some videos with tips and tricks.
    For a regular electric like the Bullet I was using I raised the action and used 10's and it worked pretty good.
    I still have allot to learn before I would say I'm a slide player.
    This is the only video I have done from when I started.

willhowl and so1om like this.
  3. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    My NOS glass slide arrived on Saturday. It's identical in size to the metal one (same brand/distributer).

While I used to use an old, real Coricidin bottle, the newer Dunlop is slightly larger -just enough to make a difference, length and diameter.

Where this smaller glass slide comes in, it's like a thin sleeve over my ring finger. It allows more precise control and accuracy without the larger bottle flopping all around and falling passed the middle knuckle (which I did not want).

It's the little things and it made all the difference in the world. There's also a subtle difference in the feel and slide of the glass I prefer.

slide.jpg

bgmacaw likes this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Meister

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Use moleskin to pad your finger to get a better fit and to prevent slipping. Some people use duct tape or other stuff but I've found moleskin to be the most comfortable and easiest to work with.

so1om likes this.
  5. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Good tip for sure.

I used to use a piece of cloth or tissue, then I didn't, yes/no, off/on... (as did Duane Allman, et, al from time to time..) But that didn't take into account the bulk outer diameter.

I also believe the Dunlop OD is not true. There seems to be a bit of a wave or variance on the surface. The smaller glass slide is more like a test tube where it has straight and parallel sides, truer concentricity as well.

Fun stuff to explore.

6. Mobizoid

Mobizoid Squier Talker

May 28, 2018
    Jasper Alberta Canada
    I like the short Dunlop Heavy one on my pinky. I found the full length ones a little heavy and they want to fly off and they also bang the neck when I am using the other fingers to play a riff. I have found a little strip of velcro inside them will help to keep them on. But you defiantly want the thick ones for better tone. I loves me some slide.

so1om likes this.
  7. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Velcro! Nice choice as well as the moleskin.

I've been using that thin glass one pictured above. I get a good tone and volume, but also I have the amp driving it. I haven't explored it on acoustic or the dobro much, yet. Summer is here though.

One thing for sure for me, smaller and tighter seems to help. I don't want it all that much larger than my finger. More precise, less flop.

Good points!

8. Mobizoid

Mobizoid Squier Talker

May 28, 2018
    Jasper Alberta Canada
    I was looking on a different forum last night, researching slide, and I picked up some great advice.
    This info seems like it could be a game changer for me. Just now I am trying to get my head around this and implement it in my playing.
    G was the same as open E except everything moved over one string. that was a real revelation, because it meant all the licks I had learned in those two tunings could easily be adapted to the other just by thinking 'move everything over'. Now I don't think about it - its automatic. So that gave me open G, open A (G tuned up one step) Open E and open D (E tuned down)

First- its not moving 'up' its moving everything OVER one string.

Heres why

Open G is, from low to high strings:

DGDGBD

which is in the G chord, or G scale

Open E is

EBEG#BE

or

If you think of all the licks you play in open E across the fingerboard in terms of intervals, we could name the tuning as

If you mentally move all licks and chord positions back one string toward the low strings for G tuning, the intervals and positions are the same from the lowest string up to the 5th string

15135- you lose the top root(1) on the highest string, and gain a 5 on the lowest

In reverse, if you move over one string position toward the high strings when thinking from G tuning to E tuning, its the same thing. In this case you lose the root (1) on the lowest string, and gain a 5 on the highest.

The middle 5 strings stay the same in intervalic relationship. All the same licks and chord patterns still apply.

Of course the same rules apply for open A and D as well since they are in essence G and E tuned up or down one step.

https://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/topic/8171-whats-your-favorite-tuning-for-slide/

bgmacaw and so1om like this.
  9. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Exactly why I could never figure out pedal steel! For some reason, when playing pedal steel (I must have owned it for 25 years) and I when i'd take it out and attempt to play it, I could never figure moving across, only up and down. And I know that's a whole other beast, but it never made sense in my head.

I'll have to think about what you posted. Mathematically it all makes sense and it is all correct. I am sure it'll be helpful to many, so thanks for posting that.

I only tune to open E and likely as many times I am in standard.

Great info!!

Mobizoid likes this.
  10. Mobizoid

Mobizoid Squier Talker

May 28, 2018
    Jasper Alberta Canada
    This dude has some great technique to share.

surf green, willhowl and so1om like this.
  11. Mobizoid

Mobizoid Squier Talker

May 28, 2018
    Jasper Alberta Canada
    I tried one of those high falutin pedal steel guitar gizmos once and felt like a toddler.

Gem23 likes this.
  12. Mobizoid

Mobizoid Squier Talker

May 28, 2018
    Jasper Alberta Canada
    I used to use my ring for slide but switched to little finger. Both have their pluses and minuses. Jack Pearson who is awesome and uses his ring finger gives some great advice about wearing the slide up to your middle knuckle so you can still use your other fingers properly for fretting notes.

fadetoz likes this.
  13. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Yesterday I put on some youtube to listen to at work.. Rod Price, Foghat. There's some good playing in E right there.

willhowl and fadetoz like this.
  14. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Yeah,man, so1om.....Rod '"The Bottle" Price........I only do slide on my Silvertone lap steel, in open G....I need to re-string to do C6....I use a long spark plug socket, to get the best tone...and IT SCREAMS!!!!!!!.........

Tons of fun, don't do it much......a funny thing is, a lowly Squire 15 amp.....15 watts, 8" speak.....works great!!!!!...for this.......LOUD AS HE!!, and FAT!!!........go figger, but back in the 40's and 50's, lap steel heyday, low watt (tube amps), with small speakers , were the standard,for lap steel............

I'm very lucky to own this little bit of history....1958 ish?......pic....... upload_2018-6-8_18-4-55.jpeg

[​IMG]
    pic not mine, but just like, same-same........It's a Valco product, got the string-thru pickup.......Non-Dietetic, for sure!!!!!!!

Gotta dig it out...........willhowl:D

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    fattboyzz and so1om like this.
  15. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Howdy, Mobizoid....Thanks for the Sonny L. viddy.....Great stuff, for lap, or "reggie' guitar..........

Lots to think about...............willhowlo_O

so1om likes this.
  16. Mobizoid

Mobizoid Squier Talker

May 28, 2018
    Jasper Alberta Canada
    so1om and willhowl like this.
  17. Mobizoid

Mobizoid Squier Talker

May 28, 2018
    Jasper Alberta Canada
    Right back at ya fellow 6 stringer!

willhowl likes this.
  18. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Check out Scott Holiday of Rival Sons. He uses a jet slide all the time. A new master!

19. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Can't believe no one's mentioned Justin Johnson!

fattboyzz, Bluzy and so1om like this.
  20. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Justin Johnson is amazing. Started watching him again on YouTube. Love his stuff

so1om and fattboyzz like this.