The open Slide Guitar thead....

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by so1om, May 7, 2018.

1. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    also, where's @fadetoz ? He's a slide player!

fadetoz likes this.
  2. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Hey there... Well I'm far from any kind of expert on the subject.... I ended up setting up my 1945 Harmony arch top in open E tuning for slide.
    That way I have a dedicated guitar for it and it has high action so it works out great. I currently use a metal slide on my ring finger. I would like to use my pinky but it's just not comfortable or natural at all for me. I practice every few days and i'm always looking on youtube for some videos with tips and tricks.
    For a regular electric like the Bullet I was using I raised the action and used 10's and it worked pretty good.
    I still have allot to learn before I would say I'm a slide player.
    This is the only video I have done from when I started.

so1om likes this.
  3. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    My NOS glass slide arrived on Saturday. It's identical in size to the metal one (same brand/distributer).

While I used to use an old, real Coricidin bottle, the newer Dunlop is slightly larger -just enough to make a difference, length and diameter.

Where this smaller glass slide comes in, it's like a thin sleeve over my ring finger. It allows more precise control and accuracy without the larger bottle flopping all around and falling passed the middle knuckle (which I did not want).

It's the little things and it made all the difference in the world. There's also a subtle difference in the feel and slide of the glass I prefer.

slide.jpg

bgmacaw likes this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Meister

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Use moleskin to pad your finger to get a better fit and to prevent slipping. Some people use duct tape or other stuff but I've found moleskin to be the most comfortable and easiest to work with.

so1om likes this.
  5. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Good tip for sure.

I used to use a piece of cloth or tissue, then I didn't, yes/no, off/on... (as did Duane Allman, et, al from time to time..) But that didn't take into account the bulk outer diameter.

I also believe the Dunlop OD is not true. There seems to be a bit of a wave or variance on the surface. The smaller glass slide is more like a test tube where it has straight and parallel sides, truer concentricity as well.

Fun stuff to explore.